Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 27819 times)

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 11:13:47 am »

Shannon was in shock by what he saw but he had to check just to see if what was there actually happened. He opened the door again. As he went to do it however he first modified his spell.

Touched target doesn't appear visible to the opposite person

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:22 am »

"Well, Alex, Jeremy, we're at some...hub of sorts. Connects different places to each other. Jeremy, seems like you didn't come from that crypt, so mayyybe we got here from some form of one way doors...intriguing!"

Anyway, next alteration is "Target immediately sleeps unless naked". Rosie'll open the door Finger came from. Not walk in, merely open it, and see what's inside.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »

*Heavy breath*
-O-okay... sorry. I don't remember my name every one called me

*Points to himself and talks exact like jeremiah*

-Li-tle Fin-ger, and i really need to get out of this hallucination or there will be no one to take care of my brothers, i hope it is just a hallucination, it's so real, i'd rather be in jail. If you are going to explore, let me go first, i am used to alarms and not getting detected, there were armed guys there, We need to improvise something.

*Try to break one of the benches so he can have a improvised club with the plank*

[Alteration:Pointed target thinks he has 20 minutes to KILL, i can instigate people that don't see me later to kill themselves when not seeing me.]
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 02:45:41 pm »

[Alteration:Pointed target thinks he has 20 minutes to KILL, i can instigate people that don't see me later to kill themselves when not seeing me.]
Close, but no duck-friendly cigar. Considering the expression "killing time", having 20 minutes to kill usually insinuates an amount of free time rather than a deadline for murder or suicide. However, you can make it "...20 minutes to kill SOMEONE" next turn, and that should get the spell you're aiming for.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:42 pm »

Close, but no duck-friendly cigar. Considering the expression "killing time", having 20 minutes to kill usually insinuates an amount of free time rather than a deadline for murder or suicide. However, you can make it "...20 minutes to kill SOMEONE" next turn, and that should get the spell you're aiming for.

Damn! Thanks for the help. It might still be usefull someday :v

At least i now know what to do next turn, i was expecting just to try to delete the words "he has" from the spell and transform it in "Pointed target has 20 minutes to live."
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »

Only few spells are permanent. Such are conditionless transformations and transmutations, for example. Usually, unless otherwise specified, spells fade when affected person/item moves to another room. If spell effect has specific end condition or timer, then it lasts until triggered even if target moves from room to room. This also true for created food stuff and summoned servants. If you don't want your dinner to disappear from your stomach in mid transit, better ensure it is created in permanent manner.

Modification: Caster's clothing acts like a skunk. My assumption here is that we'll now have moving clothing.

It probably ends up dumpster diving and squirting smelly fart liquids on you.

Doesn't quite work, you are changing two separate parts here. And for a record, please include the spell new one is evolved from.

Jeremiah returns to the damp hallway taking one of the two remaining torches while explaining his finds. He gently pushes and pulls both Alex and the mute cosplayer along with him into the morgue. Neither of them objects. Considering nobody takes swords from statues, Jeremiah leaves them alone too and rather steps through another door without slightest hint of worry.

He steps into the new room and he's happy to have a torch in hand. This new room, or a large chamber rather, is completely different from the morgue and hall he has been in so far. Besides of being completely dark, its floor and walls are made of smoothed pale stone, carefully interlocked so surfaces are extremely smooth. Octavia would recognize it as type of marble used in important governmental buildings and temples. Architecture is entirely different, having multiple carved pillars supporting ceiling, host of drawers and cabinets, flower vases, small intricately decorated boxes on some tables, heavy tapestries hanging on walls, a fresco on nearby wall depicting a handsome man surrounded by beautiful women feeding him fruits. There are bronze braziers around, candles on tables and chandeliers hanging from ceiling, all dark and cold.

It's divided in three distinct areas; veil shielded collection of mattresses, furs and pillows, an area with various divans, armchairs and tables with scattered tools and some musical instruments, and finally what could be a dining area. More than anything, it is filthy. There are clothes scattered everywhere; robes, scarves, corsets, tunics. Mold is eating everything organic: tables, clothings, tapestries, long abandoned cobwebs hang in every corner. Dust and filth covers almost every surface.

In meanwhile Shannon tries to make a contact with the armed people. He discovers same thing as Jeremiah did: doors only open inwards, despite of the fact this door most definitely opened outwards few moments ago. Behind the door is entirely different room. This one is roughly same size as the morgue in terms of surface area, but instead has padded walls and floor. Said walls and floors have dark reqularly sized holes on them. It does have people, but not the same ones he saw before. This group has different clothing and weapons. Most importantly, they are watching a man clad in leather armor being skewered by spears springing from floor. One man wearing a ringmail, a buckler and a short sword takes defensive posture between you and rest of them, while rest rushes to aid the speared man.

At the same time as Shannon opens his door, Rosie does the same thing with the door Finger came from. This one is filthy one: dirt floor covered in feces and food remains. Source of feces isn't immediately obvious though, there are no living beings in sight. For some odd reason there's a forge too. It is lit with natural light coming from ceiling windows. On opposite side is large wooden double doors, same shoddy made as others seen so far.

Spoiler: Rooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 04:59:47 pm »

"Caster's clothing acts like armor". (Was "a skunk")
If I'm able to, cast above spell now.

Carefully take one of the swords. If any statue appears ready to come to life, or it seems any other trap seems likely, abort and go into the filthy marble room.

Are you randomly generating these rooms, or do you have a floor plan set up?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 06:29:08 pm »

(Your not going to be able to cast it just yet)
Your spells can grow as powerful, complex and detailed as you want, but they start as "spent". Meaning you can't cast your new "Caster becomes god almighty" spell before walking through thousand rooms.

Alex potters about the morgue for a bit pondering this dream he seemed to be having. It occurred to him that had yet to try any of this new magic of his. He had yet to find out what it was like to summon these mystical energies and cast a spell. "Hrrm might as well try it on somebody" His eyes fell on Octavian. "Hold still would you I want to try something?" he mumbled quietly to the Roman before reaching out his hand and casting 'Target thinks he can beat his addiction to air' at Octavian.

Spell evolution: Target can control his addiction to air-> Target can control his air

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2017, 06:44:42 pm »

Doesn't quite work, you are changing two separate parts here. And for a record, please include the spell new one is evolved from.

Oh, sorry, it was meant to Pointed target think he has 20 minutes to live> Pointed target thinks he has 20 minutes to KILL

Buuut...I ??? didn't understood what more exactly i changed, i just changed live>kill.

Oh i see that i forgot the "only" when transforming pointed>looked in my first turn. that was the second modification?

[Attempt modification to delete something bolded "pointed target thinks he has 20 minutes to live", choose as you please, if can't delete both  the magic will get futile anyway  :P]

"This is not my neighborhood. And what is this?" *looking at the forge*

"WHAT? what your step" *Walks into the statues room and check for whatever looks like a booby trap or alarm*

Novice english wordsmith

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 07:14:09 pm »

Mind if I format edits like this?
"Target immediately (sleeps->runs) unless naked"

"Ok-ay, not the most appealing of areas. Every room is sorta like this room a bit. Could it be that rooms often lead to similar rooms?"

Rosie closes the door to the room, then immediately reopens it. If it's the same room, close the door and open it again after a slightly longer delay. Continue this until the room changes.

Ninja'd: AO, would it be reasonable to let Omada make the intended edit to the spell as if he made it last turn, since there was a small mistake on his part? He would gain "Pointed target thinks he has only 20 minutes to kill". Also, wouldn't pointed target mean that the target has to have points, rather than being pointed at?

Also, I have another question: would an acceptable edit in a spell be "briefly->for 3 minutes", and, similarly, "for 3 minutes->until 3 minutes later"?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »

Also, I have another question: would an acceptable edit in a spell be "briefly->for 3 minutes", and, similarly, "for 3 minutes->until 3 minutes later"?
I, too, am interested in whether or not structural alterations that don't change meaning are allowed.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 08:07:47 pm »

I, too, am interested in whether or not structural alterations that don't change meaning are allowed.
To be technical, the former is a specification of the meaning, so they might be treated as separate rulings.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2017, 08:26:46 pm »

To be technical, the former is a specification of the meaning, so they might be treated as separate rulings.
Yes, but I'm interested in the second case. It allows for restructurings into sentence forms that may be more useful for meaning transformations.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2017, 12:12:27 am »

Another round of quick answers.

Are you randomly generating these rooms, or do you have a floor plan set up?
Take a guess.
This mansion has more rooms than there are stars in the known universe.

Oh, sorry, it was meant to Pointed target think he has 20 minutes to live> Pointed target thinks he has 20 minutes to KILL

Buuut...I ??? didn't understood what more exactly i changed, i just changed live>kill.

Oh i see that i forgot the "only" when transforming pointed>looked in my first turn. that was the second modification?

It looked like you wanted to evolve from "Looked target thinks he has twenty minutes to live", hence the comment about changing two separate parts. Omitting the word "only" doesn't really change the spell much, it would merely lack sense of urgency. I'll give you free extra spell mutation.

Mind if I format edits like this?
"Target immediately (sleeps->runs) unless naked"

Ninja'd: AO, would it be reasonable to let Omada make the intended edit to the spell as if he made it last turn, since there was a small mistake on his part? He would gain "Pointed target thinks he has only 20 minutes to kill". Also, wouldn't pointed target mean that the target has to have points, rather than being pointed at?

1. That's fine as long as your list of spells isn't very long. At some point it might be better to either quote the original spell or refer it by its number in the list.

2. Yeah, it's reasonable. And for the second part... I'll decide which definition of "pointed target" I'm gonna use depending which one would suck more. ;)

3. That's actually a good question. Former is defines duration more strictly which can make difference. I think in most cases it could be free change in wording, but it ultimately depends what rest of the spell actually does, how much it could change the spell power. Latter on the other hand doesn't change what the spell does and allows you more easily add additional secondary effects into your spell. "Target turns into stone for 3 minutes" -> "Target turns into stone until 3 minutes later he explodes". First part of the spell doesn't change in any way and all you really changed here is explosion afterwards instead of target turning back to flesh.

It's a little on gray territory. I suppose it boils down into how much the spell effect actually changes. You can consider both as free changes in wording, but I'll shout out if I think it changes too much.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2017, 03:29:01 am »

"Well, well. So you think you're hallucinating too?" Jeremiah calls back. "It scarcely seems likely that we're figments of one another's imagination, but for the sake of politeness let's behave as if one another are real.

Jeremiah then lights the braziers, ready for something to jump out from behind a tapestry at him. Also, he creates the spell, "Moss and wings grow on named target's back." Finally, if nothing of note happens anywhere, he opens another door.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:05:50 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20