Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: World Trek: Evolving Magic  (Read 27797 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic - Under New Management
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2017, 01:19:24 pm »

Oh. :/

If it was already 4 Bs and 3 As, that's not a tie. That's B.
Just have it be B, FoU.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2017, 01:48:45 pm »

Alright, let's go with that.
~~~
Black Goo was one of the worst threats in the local multiverse. It consumed all to create more of itself. Worse, it adapted. Entire universes had been consumed by Black Goo. Once Black Goo took one universe, their directive to consume continued. Black Goo adapted, and learned to create portals to other universes. Black Goo spread.

One drop. The Goo began spreading through the Infinite Mansion. The Mansion resisted, and adapted, but the Goo adapted faster, and consumed. The Mansion fell.

There were remnants. Sections of the Mansion protected by the inhabitants using powerful magic. One by one, they all fell. There was one left.

The mages within knew they were going to die. Still, they held out.

The Black Goo was not the worst threat in the local multiverse. That title went to one Null Nevermore, collector of gods, slayer of ROBs, hunter of all things impossibly powerful, master of nullification magic.

He was busy holding a poetry contest.

His second in command, however, Nowhere Nevermore, the most powerful rune mage in the local multiverse, was not busy.

He was, in fact, the one who created Black Goo.

At a magic override command given by him, the Goo in the Infinite Mansion's plane turned inert. Nowhere triggered a runic sensor array, and marveled at what he had wrought.

The fact that there were survivors was baffling. It was a miracle that they had managed to hold out so long.

Nowhere encoded some information into something like but far better than a lab notebook, and then began a new experiment.

Experiment "Journey".
"Statement of Intent: test response of human mages to mutation and rapid world travel. Hypothesis: Insanity will result within 5 trips."

Nowhere pulled a magical grenade from somewhere, and lobbed it at the shelter the mages had created. The spells designed to ward away Black Goo failed to block the grenade's burst.
~~~
To join, repost your character sheet, or write a new one if you haven't already done so. I'll be prioritizing players over waitlisters and waitlisters over those who didn't waitlist.

Meanwhile, we can vote on what world to visit first.
A: XCOM 2
B: Dwarf Fortress
C: Super Powereds
D: Some other relatively low-powered setting that I'm relatively familiar with. The write-in option.
~~~
Ao: can you please set the thread title to "World Trek: Evolving Magic"?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:12 pm »

HELL YES XCOM 2. Time to use "target becomes obedient" to mind-control Avatars. :)

Spoiler: Octavian Grey (click to show/hide)

And just for reference's sake: spells with (P) are permanent.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Trek : Evolving Magic - Under New Management
« Reply #273 on: October 14, 2017, 02:00:35 pm »

*Considers*

I was going to have the spells you've earned be wiped upon new game, but now I'm thinking that doesn't really make sense.

Still, I would like to balance starting out with more spells somehow. Maybe "more mutations for more spells"? What do you think?

Also, seeing as World Trek doesn't really have "rooms", I'm going to have to adjust the cool downs somehow.

Going from "per room" to "per world" or "per turn" units. It's going to be tricky.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »

Well, we could move through multiple rooms in a turn, or none at all. How about you do a flat conversion of charges in X rooms to charges in X turns for things less than 10, halve them if they're 20-50 (minimum 10 turns, so an 11-room charge doesn't go down to 5 or 6), and things above 50 come down to that? Or a different set of parameters depending on how long you think you'll be able to run this.

Also, the plan is we can mutate ourselves? Maybe you get to pick between a mutation and a spell each turn, so the people with lots of mutations have fewer spells and vice versa. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2017, 02:26:48 pm »

Well, we could move through multiple rooms in a turn, or none at all. How about you do a flat conversion of charges in X rooms to charges in X turns for things less than 10, halve them if they're 20-50 (minimum 10 turns, so an 11-room charge doesn't go down to 5 or 6), and things above 50 come down to that? Or a different set of parameters depending on how long you think you'll be able to run this.
Hm.

Also, the plan is we can mutate ourselves? Maybe you get to pick between a mutation and a spell each turn, so the people with lots of mutations have fewer spells and vice versa. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Yeah, you're misunderstanding a bit. The idea is that everyone with a preexisting character would get one to a few mutations at random at the start of the game, and mutations could be changed henceforth using cards.
~~~

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2017, 06:56:22 am »

D: Some other relatively low-powered setting that I'm relatively familiar with. The write-in option.

What kinds of settings are you familiar with? Anime, comics, games, what are you familiar with?

also my sheet.

Spoiler: Shannon Webb (click to show/hide)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: World Trek: Evolving Magic
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2017, 11:25:43 am »

He must right now or without hope of saving  his brothers, or more desperate of the possibility of the gray goo having invaded his homeworld
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 15, 2017, 02:32:45 pm »

What kinds of settings are you familiar with? Anime, comics, games, what are you familiar with?
A bit of everything.

To give you an idea:

Risk of Rain, One Piece, Naruto, !!Worm!!, Harry Potter, Deadman Wonderland, Caves of Qud, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Ready Player One... and then some.

I've read, watched, and played, though mostly read and played, a bit of everything.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2017, 03:17:41 pm »

Of course, the worlds we visit don’t have to be canons of themselves. You could make one be a city of only rock-people, or a grassland of only forms of hair. A single hospital structured like that M. C. Escher painting, even. There’s plenty of possibilities.

Also, you might have annihilated the Mansion a little too much there. You could’ve left a fair amount of it standing, in case Ao ever wanted to reboot the game in the future. Then again, he could just say that a small part remained and that, well, grew back to its original, infinite size. But still.

Char sheet coming soon.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Mansion : Evolving Magic
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2017, 03:18:18 pm »

Name: Arthur
Background: Used to be a shoemaker in Sigil, the City of Doors.
Appearance: 30-ish. Blue eyes. Brown hair. Has a bunch of tattoos that detail numerous events of his life.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2017, 09:12:07 am »

*poke*

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2017, 05:24:33 pm »

I have four sheets. I'd like six or seven to start.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2017, 05:45:07 pm »

Okay. How about this.
Name: Corey
Background: A twelve-year-old from a fairly posh background in a reasonably Earth-like environment.
Appearance: 12, posh, and ethnically ambiguous.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 19, 2017, 05:48:20 pm »

Name: Roboson
Background: Player of forum games who stumbled upon the wrong game one day.
Appearance: Lumberjack.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20