Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Colosseum of Monsters (TCG)  (Read 4663 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colosseum of Monsters (TCG)
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:01:57 pm »

Spoiler: The Short Version (click to show/hide)

For eons the gods have waged wars across creation. Their wars and their quarrels destroyed thousands of worlds and countless mortal souls across the vast ocean of time. All in an attempt to prove themselves the most powerful god of them all. Yet now, their fighting has stopped, or at least, been contained. The Colosseum of Monsters was constructed so that gods may show their prowess without destroying all of creation.

The rules of Colosseum are simple, players are flegling gods looking to amass fame and power through the only means available in today's modern era: The Colosseum of Monsters. Players will have a set of cards that they will use to construct a monster. They will then play as that monster in the combat portion. Players must bet cards in order to play, the winner gaining the card of the loser as well as points which can be used to buy new cards or as money to trade with other players. If there is enough interest for a bracket, tournaments may occur.

This game was largely inspired by an old monster tournament game that used to run on this forum (Can't remember who ran it though) as well as the monster construction system for a game within the Seventh Tower book series.

Monster Construction
Each monster is composed of pieces of other monsters which impart it with its stats as well as special abilities. Each monster has several slots in which a player's cards are played in order to form a new monster. The slots are Mind, Skin, Heart, Spirit, and Special. A player may use any card they own, but may not use the same card twice. If a player has duplicates of the same card, each card may be used once.

Mind: This relates to your creature's intelligence, how powerful its willpower is, and may relate to magical ability when appropriate.
Skin: This slot determines the defensive strength of your creature and may make it resilient to specific kinds of attacks.
Heart: This slot determines the temperament of your monster, those with uneven temperament have a chance to act of their own accord and ignore orders.
Spirit: This slot contributes to the previous three slots and can affect them in various ways depending on the card played here.
Special: This slot gives your creature a special power in relation to the card played.

*At this time I don't plan on actually telling you the specific stats of each card, as it I think it would lead to players trying to have the best stats instead of the best monsters. This is subject to change.

Combat
The combat is rather simple. Each monster will have stats determined by the cards contributing to it. Players will direct their creature to do things and, depending on the temperament, may or may not do them.

The Stats
Damage: How much damage a monster can do with its attacks before resistances are factored in.
Resistance: The amount of damage mitigated. Can also have negative values for vulnerabilities.
Intelligence: How smart a creature is, also determines mana on magic using monsters.
Willpower: How willing your creature is to continue fighting and determines resistance to mental manipulation.
Temperament: While not a numerical stat, it will influence the behavior of your creature. Particularly bloodthirsty creatures for example, will not heed commands to retreat.

Trading
Players will receive power points which not only indicate who's in the lead of the game, but also serve as currency. Players may trade cards and/or powerpoints in whatever way they find agreeable. I will also offer new cards occasionally which can be purchased for power points. Any trades must be made clear to me in order to count, preferably via PM. Players who are currently constructing monsters cannot trade cards.

Starting Packs
Each player may select one of the following to serve as their starting cards.
Spoiler: Hordes of Evil (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Human Crusaders (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beasts of Power (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragonkin (click to show/hide)

*A special note: In about a week I am travelling to another country. My updates may increase or decrease dramatically depending on that.

Here is an example of a monster hand that I'd like submitted:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You PM me the first part, and then I PM you the description along with your stats.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:01:41 pm by Roboson »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum of Monsters (TCG) (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:10:04 pm »

IN, starting with Beasts of Power.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum of Monsters (TCG) (OOC)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:29:31 pm »

Now we just need a challenger. When you (this goes for your yet to be determined opponent as well) are ready to create your monster, PM me which cards you will play where.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum of Monsters (TCG)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:02:23 pm »

I'll play this. I'll take the Hordes of Evil starting pack.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:31:05 pm »

Have one monster submission. Once I get another I will initiate the first combat round.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:27:49 pm »

Pick me up for the Dragonkin Starting Pack, IN.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 07:54:11 pm »

I'll play this. I'll take the Hordes of Evil starting pack.

Pick me up for the Dragonkin Starting Pack, IN.

Both of you are in, whichever sends me a their hand of choice will get to fight against Ocean Soul for the first match. (Or anyone else who beats you too it.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:00:58 pm by Roboson »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:28:36 am »

Match One:

VS

The two monsters are created in earnest by their respective gods, both unsure exactly how to go about doing so because someone forgot to post an example. They find themselves in an open courtyard made of stone. While the arena can vary, this one is rather like an actual colosseum. There are six stone columns near the perimeter, followed a few feet later by a wall. The two monsters face each other, perhaps fifty feet between them, each with their back to the curving circular wall that surrounds the arena floor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 01:29:22 am »

Reminder: It is considered to be in poor form to read your opponents action spoilers.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 01:43:46 am »

Interested in playing a later round.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 04:31:51 am »

...This game was largely inspired by an old monster tournament game that used to run on this forum (Can't remember who ran it though)...

Monster Mash Tournament? Ah, those were good times...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 05:26:03 am »

I'm also interested in joining for a later round.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 09:42:02 am »

Spoiler: Action, GM only (click to show/hide)
...This game was largely inspired by an old monster tournament game that used to run on this forum (Can't remember who ran it though)...

Monster Mash Tournament? Ah, those were good times...
I've read that, and it was rather interesting. Wonder what would have happened with it if it continued. Also, it's almost a coincidence that I was thinking about it last night, mainly how to help the person with the book (being general to avoid spoilers).
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:14 am »

Match One:

VS

Spoiler: Supernerd (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OceanSoul (click to show/hide)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:17:20 am »

Match two will be between Tophat and Crazyabe unless someone else sends me their hand before the two of them. Matches are determined by what order monsters are submitted, not by posts in this thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5