Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Insectoid Ambitions [SG]  (Read 2703 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Insectoid Ambitions [SG]
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:37:39 am »

The Insectoid hives of the Mooncursed Peaks have often been called cowards and traitors by others of the species. Where other hives fought against the orcish crusaders and human hordes, the Mooncursed Peaks simply aided both in the extermination of their kin, and became stronger for it. For their betrayal, the Peaks remained independent and spread its colonies far throughout the caverns and sky-open lands.

Now, another blessing has become apparent. The crusader states have fallen into anarchy, with their lands ripe for the taking. Divided by alien loyalties, weak bloodlines and assaulted by all forms of beasts and foes, the crusaders are a ravishing feast to the Mooncursed Peaks. In secret, the High Queen has ordered the annexation of the so-called Holy Land, for the greater glory of the hives.

Your mother-queen has not been caught unaware, having groomed you exactly for such an occurrence. Bred from the best stock in all the Peaks and beyond, your blood holds the genetic memory of great warriors, leaders, and scholars. Indeed, few queens would bother with producing such an heir, especially with the fear of matricide being ever-present. With the new lands open for colonisation however, such fears have been allayed.

Your mother-queen has already prepared a suitable force to colonise the lowlands, with you as its head. Course, she tells you that there were many possible places to invade, but one in particular caught her eye. This was...

You are a Princess of noble blood, a bit one blessed with greater care and growth nutrients than others of your caste. Where an average princess is loyal to their hive and mother, you have been nurtured with far more independence than what is normally allowed. As such, your intelligence and creativity can much any queen, even perhaps those of royal blood. Furthermore, you are able to modify the traits of your colony's castes, something only queens are capable of. In fact, the only thing differentiating you from a queen is the fact that you do not possess a title. Yet. With a little work and intrigue, perhaps you can gain a crown for yourself.

As an an Insectoid of the Mooncursed Peaks brood, you are able to create far more intelligent and cunning castes than others broods.

Ash befitting of a Princess, especially one ordered to found their own hive, you have been given permission to form your own harem. As a gift, your mother has given you the the choice of three consorts from her own harem, several of which have been selectively bred for certain characteristics. Choosing any of them as consorts would impart their advice, retinues, and genetic traits to your own hive.

Spoiler: Consorts; Choose three (click to show/hide)

After receiving your final briefings and undergoing a short ceremony, you are ready to finally leave the hive and lay claim to your birthright. Till this moment, you have been simply called 'The Princess'. Now, you are more. As such, you require a name.

What is your name?

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Insectoid Ambitions [SG]
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:27:20 am »

Name: Ashkrana Sairaan
Hive: The Gardens of Whispers
Consorts: The Scholar, The Diplomat, The Artist

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:02:21 pm »

PTW
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »

Name: Alixtaktek Tantorek
Hive: The Land Between Two Rivers
Consorts: The Archanist, The Breeder of Creatures & The Engineer

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:27 pm »

+1.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »

+1.
+1
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:35:47 pm »

Name: Xixitik Fungusswarm
Hive: The Dread Hills
Consorts: The Warrior, The Architect, The Smith

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 10:49:43 pm »

+1.
+1

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 11:26:28 pm »

+1.
+1

+1
+1, because when has Bay12 not jumped on the opportunity to !!SCIENCE!! things?

EDIT: AND mess with elves at the same time!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:29:25 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:32:01 pm »

+1.
+1

+1

+1
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »

+1.
+1

+1

+1

+1
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 09:10:18 pm »

+1 to screwing elves and science.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:41:06 pm »

Hail Alixtaktek Tantorek, Princess of the Mooncursed Peaks and Loyal Servant of the High Queen!

The colonial expedition prepared by your mother was a relatively homogeneous bunch, most being Mooncursed or related broods. The blue-shelled swarms of formian workers had always made up the grand majority of those insectoids known to you, scuttling away in and out the tunnels of your mother's hive. Though little more than animals, they were sufficient. As long as the pheromones were distributed evenly and the overseers posted, the labouring masses could usually be ignored.

What interested you far more were your new consorts. Insectoids weren't a race to mince words about pointless ceremonies or customs, at least not something as insignificant as an exchange of consorts. That said, they were quite interesting consorts.

The Arcanist was your mother's Lord-Ritualist, Kyroke. The Insectoid art of magic was a curiosity to many foreigners. In its very base form, it was the application of ceremony to draw power from the Hidden Things of the world. Gods, demons, monstrosities, laws of creation and many other terrible things are forced by arcane contract to gift the ritualists power, often at great cost at life...which suited the insectoids just fine, considering the vast population of the average hive. Lord Kyroke, having survived many great and terrible rituals, was an insectoid of much power. Marked by scars of many botched rituals, runes of various entities and the tell-tale violet hue that seemed to follow with repeat rituals, Kyroke was a master at the arcane art. He had even spent a few decades learning the rituals of other broods, and even the magicks of other races. That said, Kyroke had little employment in your mother's service. Magic was always viewed with some skepticism by the Mooncursed Hives, both because they were cursed by magic and because of every hive preferring to rely on their own strengths. As such, Kyroke was most pleased to journey forth under an ambitious and hopefully open-minded Princess. He spoke much about the many opportunities to be found in the southern lands, especially about the many magical materials one could find beyond the Mooncursed Peaks.

Your other consort, the Engineer, could only agree with him. Drekov. Cautiously and with a great deal of tact, of course. The brood of the Claybroken Lakes, as you know, are a slave-brood of the Peaks and openly hating the Peaks, its literally damned geography notwithstanding, was a cause for death. Even a consort. That said, he was quite an impressive consort. Compared to the Mooncursed, your double-horned biped beetle consort mountained over the Mooncursed and he certainly had certain endowments worthy of a few glances. Of course, that did not change the fact that like the rest of his brood, he was a slave and only his status as your consort saved him from mockery.

Regardless of that, he was an interesting gentletoid by any standard. Mostly busy working on all sort of contraptions and systems, the harem's engineer saw a great deal of work optimising the hive's various machinery deep beneath the Peaks. The chance to continue working and moving out of the Peaks was a godsend to him. Indeed, he seemed to be boring your consort Oglor with all sorts of ideas. Something about a mill, from what you could tell.

"...And I could go on and on about how cold the Peaks are. Like I said, you couldn't make this system work up there cause you'd need to ensure that the arms stayed dry all year-long.
 Now its true that you might be able to eliminate that little flaw with a little bit of magic, but could you imagine the maintenance costs for an enchanted mill? Not to mention you'd need some elves...
"

You knew he wouldn't be finished for quite some time. Still, Drekov was a master engineer and he knew his profession well. Of course, Oglor seemed to not be listening. Not a toid of machinery, you knew well.

Your third consort was a subdued and quiet gentry. That said, Oglor was the hive's Breeder of Creatures and he took his task quite seriously. He was from the Blackcanopies brood, supposedly from the distant west. Like the Mooncursed, he too was a formian in shape. Unlike you, he had a bright green shell and several rows of small spines on his limbs, as well as what you could only describe as 'hair' growing out of his abdomen. It was quite odd, no matter how you looked at it. While you knew little about the Blackcanopies, Oglor and his followers had said that they were renowned amongst for living in the deep woods of the west where monsters and the sort dwelled. Apparently, they had a good reputation amongst some of the orcish realms for that.

Unlike Drekov, Oglor had come to the Peaks by choice, offering his abilities to the hive for gold. After years of useful service to your mother, he had been honoured into the harem as a reward for his duties. Indeed, your mother was the first of the Mooncursed Peak queens to make use of dragonflies or stirrups.

Hopefully, with the expertise of these men, you could make a hive worthy of your name.

After several months of travel under the mountain and beneath the non-cursed sky, you finally arrive. The Land Between Two Rivers, or Longwaters in the native language, is a breathtaking sight. While you had seen rivers before, Longwaters was nearly beyond comprehension. Two gigantic rivers emerged from the desert sands and along their banks, great swatches of greenery grew. Greenery, you noticed, that was occupied. Your general, Lord Mekekes, had reported a great many cities and towns along the rivers but had told you that this part at least was sparsely populated. You needed to have a conversation with the dear general about the definition of 'sparse' for what lied before you was what seemed to be walled city that seemed to be big enough to hold 10,000. 10,000 was not 'sparse' by any means.

"A commendable guess my Princess. Closer to 4000. Elves require a higher amount of space per individual in comparison to the average Insectoid."

...Regardless, that was a great deal more than what you expected. Mekekes himself was quite a bit...perturbed. "My Princess...when the scouts told me of what they had seen, I nearly had them executed. Your Mother had quite clearly told me this region had little more than a few villages and from what the ritualists tell me, we are in the right place."

Kyroke seemed relatively calm, considering the situation. "It seems my dear, we have a great deal of trouble on our hands. Perhaps some reconnaissance is in order. But tell me general,
 what of the surrounding lands, are they also occupied?
"

"Yes but there seems to be a great deal of warfare upriver. Razed farms, bands of warriors, cities under siege. This was expected, at the very least. Downriver is much like here, as was expected."

"And the deserts?"asked your usually quiet Oglor.

"Scouts haven't reported back yet."

You, Alixtaktek Tantorek, can now perform actions!

Spoiler: Hive of Longwaters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Castes of Longwater (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »

Wait, our spot destined to begin our colony is exactly where is the city?

How much they overwhelm us? The scouts have a notion of forces inside?

We could find somewhere more quiet and begin our colony but laying low for now.

Or we could invade and create our hive on top of the city bombarding the entrance with hell-beasts guarded by dragonflies riders to open the way to our ground units, but depending on the situation that would be too risky, or suicidal.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 06:09:19 pm »

Settle downriver. Seems safe and the elves act as a buffer to what is causing trouble uphill
Pages: [1] 2