Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forget about sieges, the best source of goblinite is alcohol poisoning  (Read 1265 times)

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a long hiatus I've returned to DF two weeks ago and I've been loving the locations addition.

Just two years after it was opened my tavern has been responsible for almost a dozen Goblin deaths. The best part is most of the buggers are mercenaries that leave some nice armor and weapons that helped me kickstart my militia. It looks like the Goblins can't keep their alcohol down properly, but what I like to imagine is that my tavern keeper serves my dorfs with only those fine stone mugs and reserves the lead goblets my Smith has been practicing on only to the green bastards.

Looking at legends it seems that the nearby human civilization has a ton of resident Goblins. I guess that's the reason so many of them come to my fortress to pay a visit. Does the same thing happens in your games? Why are Goblins the most susceptible to die like that? I hardly ever see a human dying the same way.     
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:26:37 pm by vbuss »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Goblins aren't particularly more alcohol-intolerant, I think - perhaps their tendency to brawl also contributes to their lack of breath? (disease resistance is at +, though they're slightly smaller than humans - who definitely can die from few drinks too many. Dwarves have 50% larger liver, though, and elves are the best at drinking with +++ for disease resistance.)

If you wanted to be less mean, you could simply mark their gear for dumping. But that keeps them taking up a visitor slot, I think.

I don't appoint tavern keepers, but goblins mass-migrating to humans towns does seem to near always happen.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And to distinguish it from hostile sourced Goblinite, this vein is also called Visitite. As Fleeting Frames said, goblins are the same size as dwarves and elves, but do not have the extra protection, while humans get a size bonus.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

Can't test it at the moment, but can you still just designate guests' weapons for melting to mine Visitite? Or has it been fixed?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can dump visitor items (books are tricky, I think, due to them being pseudo artifacts) to have them taken from the victims, and I think you can melt designate them as well, although I haven't tested that.

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't actually need to dump them. Unforbiding is enough for your dwarves to claim them