Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159449 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2775 on: August 23, 2018, 05:25:51 pm »

Project Progress:
1 die to GWS (spending 10C, 12O, 15W, 10S): (2) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10
2 dice to GWS (10S for the variable COWS): (1) Milo

New Projects:
Structured Webbing (3 dice): (1) 10ebbor10
Braided Webbing (3 dice): (1) NUKE9.13
No new Project: (1) Milo

Save 1 die: (2) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10
Save 3 dice: (1) Milo

No progress on the GWS is absolutely unacceptable, and 1 die is practically a sin. The web can wait until we actually have free resources to spend on it. Anyone trying to say it will only cost silk is deluded, projects always cost multiple resources.

Edit: Anyway, with my plan we will have 7 dice to spend next turn, and only 1 of those can go to the PL. This means that those who want advantage would have a better chance to get it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:52:41 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: August 23, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »

Aether forge progress worth bothering with?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: August 23, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »

Completion Benefit: Furnace Upgrades: 2 Crystal 2 Ore 4 Silk | Modernization of existing furnaces allow for ore to be extracted more quickly and efficiently. Increase's a spire's ore production by 1, up to a max of 3 or its max ore production, whichever is lower.

Kinda looks like it. Plenty of dice next turn for that.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 23, 2018, 06:11:18 pm »

Completion Benefit: Furnace Upgrades: 2 Crystal 2 Ore 4 Silk | Modernization of existing furnaces allow for ore to be extracted more quickly and efficiently. Increase's a spire's ore production by 1, up to a max of 3 or its max ore production, whichever is lower.

Kinda looks like it. Plenty of dice next turn for that.

Remember you also revised it to be better.

Furnace Upgrades: 2 Crystal 2 Ore 4 Silk | Modernization of existing furnaces allow for ore to be extracted more quickly and efficiently. Increase's a spire's ore production by 1, up to a max of 4 or its max ore production, whichever is higher.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: August 23, 2018, 11:30:42 pm »

Milo, it makes absolutely no mechanical difference how many dice we invest in GWS this turn, so long as next turn we make the total 3.
As for the resources, says who? Projects so far have all used multiple resources because that made sense. Like, developing the Windrider only cost Wood and Ore- the resources needed to build a hull. The SP cost crystal as well only because of the trims used in the turrets. Neither cost silk, because no silk was involved in their creation.
And, worst case scenario, we just leave the project on the backburner until we can afford it.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: August 23, 2018, 11:33:07 pm »

it makes absolutely no mechanical difference how many dice we invest in GWS this turn, so long as next turn we make the total 3.
Well, I guess we could do no progress to the GWS this turn

I'll let these two speak for themselves. Better to get the most critical thing out of the way so no one can delay it later.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: August 23, 2018, 11:39:00 pm »

...?
How does that contradict what I said?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: August 23, 2018, 11:46:19 pm »

If you are willing to delay now, there is nothing stopping delay later. "We will do it next turn" is a toxic attitude to have when it comes to critical projects. 2 dice now will make it harder to keep pushing the PL off.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: August 24, 2018, 12:59:35 am »

But not doing any progress this turn won't delay it at all. If we roll boxcars, we'd be at 29/35 progress. Like I've been saying, it makes no mechanical difference, so long as by next turn we've done three in total.
I mean, have I been known to delay crucial projects for frivolous reasons? I'm not going to turn around next turn, twirl my waxed moustache, and say "Ahahaha, let's do no progress this turn!!"

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: August 25, 2018, 08:03:33 am »

Project Progress:
1 die to GWS (spending 10C, 12O, 15W, 10S): (2) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10

New Projects:
Braided Webbing (3 dice): (2) NUKE9.13, Andrea

Save 1 die: (2) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: August 26, 2018, 01:58:18 pm »

Project Progress:
1 die to GWS (spending 10C, 12O, 15W, 10S): (3) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10, TFF

New Projects:
Braided Webbing (3 dice): (3) NUKE9.13, Andrea, TFF

Save 1 die: (3) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10, TFF

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: August 26, 2018, 01:59:34 pm »

Project Progress:
1 die to GWS (spending 10C, 12O, 15W, 10S): (4) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10, Johiah, TFF

New Projects:
Braided Webbing (3 dice): (4) NUKE9.13, Andrea, Johiah, TFF

Save 1 die: (4) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10, Johiah, TFF
Sure, why not

EDIT: Ninja'd
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:07:21 pm by johiah »
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: August 26, 2018, 10:49:16 pm »

Grand Wrethan Shipyard
Progress: 20/35 (3)
While more progress could always be hoped for, the implementation of the Shipyard's construction goes mostly to schedule. While continued performance at this level would put the completion date slightly behind schedule, the delays at this point are minor and could easily be forgotten if the proper forms are filed with the Bureau of Enhanced Expedition and Streamlining. Nothing gets workers moving faster than BEES.

Braided Webbing
[Time: 6 Progress: 4 Cost: 2]
It's amazing what mental contact with an ancient demon-spider can do in terms of mental stimulus. With the help of a couple only slightly unhinged weavers, our engineers have rapidly begun drafting schematics for new time of webbing. While the assurances that it will do what it's supposed to do are... tenous (and generally come with copious amounts of spittle and frothing at the mouth) the blueprints are convincing.

Braided Webbing: 4/8 | 9S | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 6 Cost: 5 Bugs: 4]
While the documents themselves are convincing, the demonstration of the prototype ream converts skeptics to 'convinced' with hardly a moment of hesitation. In storage and release it performs identically to standard webbing, unfurling in reaction to the aether but still capable of being rolled to tightness for storage. Once released, however, the braided webbing shows its true colors. The aetheric sympathy that somehow allows the peculiarly patterned braids to draw more energy than a similar weight of plain silk was... conservatively estimated. The braided webbing seems capable of doubling the efficacy of a standard web- halving the needed sections of webbing. The braiding pattern doesn't just transmit more energy, it somehow appears to actively draw more of it like a lodestone dragging a compass needle.

Its physical durability is itself much improved, though degradation of the braiding likewise degrades the sympathy. Aetherically, however, its durability can be more striking. While the braided webbing still isn't capable of absorbing hard aether easily of perfectly, it can take a shot without burning to cinders. The damage inflicted, however, will cause burning and fraying which will decrease the efficacy of the webbing down to that of standard webbing. This aetheric defense is also contingent on the energy having a place to go- a core with enough of a buffer left to handle the energy. If the braided webbing is hit while its attached core is fine, such as during a surprise attack, it'll burn like any web.

When drawing at max rate, the braided webbing becomes faintly luminous as it draws and concentrates local aetheric energy. It is HIGHLY inadvisable to remain in contact with active braided webbing when in this state. Prolonged contact with the prototype when luminous has driven one unsuspecting engineer completely insane, as though by exposure to very high altitudes.

In price, the Braided webbing is lighter than expected- using less silk than estimated and primarily requiring the labor to create the unique strands.

Braided Webbing: 3 Silk for 1 ream | A strong upgrade for basic webbing technology, braided webbing is more powerful, physically tougher, and (if the energy has somewhere it can go) capable of absorbing the brunt of a Light Aether Cannon impact. Each ream of braided webbing counts for 2 reams of standard webbing. Oddly luminous when drawing at is maximum rate, and capable of inducing madness in any soul unlucky enough to be touching it when in this excited state.

Spire Wreth's Production Stands At,
13(+1)/y Crystal, 27/70 Banked
19(+8)/y Ore, 16/135 banked
19(+2)/y Wood, 15/105 banked
10(+6)/y Silk, 57/80 banked

It is the Revision phase. You have 1 die to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:10:54 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: August 27, 2018, 12:50:21 am »

Sweet. We can def finish that before the GWS without delaying it. In fact, we should include it in the pattern (if possible).

Tentative pattern:

Quote from: Stormprince IS Pattern
1 Stormprince Hull (8c, 15o, 35w)
10 Copper Plating Sections (30o)
16 2xIS EMERALDs (32c, 112o)
1 IS EMERALD (1c, 4o)
2 IIS Medium Core (40c, 40o)
5 IS Small Lift (15c, 25o)
56 IS Trims (28c, 28o)
20 Reams Braided Webbing (60s)
---
Before discount: 124c, 254o, 35w, 60s
Of which IS costs: 116o
Discount: 23.2o
After discount: 124c, 230.8o, 35w, 60s

We might want to include more spare webbing, if allowed.

E: We are allowed, so I've changed it from 15 reams to 20. Also, I checked with Draignean, selectifying the hull (ie the trims used in the turrets) would improve their ability to make large turns quickly, but the main limitation they have is in precision, due to primitive electronics.

Also, a possible strategy for this turn:

Quote from: Plan A
Production:
Refit the WOSV Longlast to latest pattern.

Ships:
Windrider Archive @Wreth: Move to VV, tactic Boom & Zoom.

1 Meteor @VV: Tactic Mistwatch
1 Meteor @VV: Tactic High Vigil
1 Meteor @VV: Tactic SWARM

Windrider Papertrail @TC: Move to BM, tactic Dogpile.
2 Meteors @TC: Move to BM, tactic SWARM.

Windriders End of the Road, Payoff, Formal Notice @BS: Tactic Dogpile.
3 Comets @BS: Tactic TITS.
2 Meteors @BS: Tactic SWARM.
1 Comet @BS: Tactic Mistwatch (into SWARM).
1 Comet @BS: Tactic High Vigil (into SWARM).

Windrider Deadline @BM: Tactic Dogpile.
1 Comet @BM: Mistwatch (into SWARM with newly arriving Meteors)
1 Comet (on reserve webbing) @BM: PEEK-A-BOO

Transport Ledger @BS: Move to HM.
Transport Imafuku @BS: Move to HM.

Transport Marge @HM: Move to BS, unload.
Transport Shibboleth @HM: Move to BS, unload.

Infantry:
@BS:
All squads: Fortify
We're at capacity for Windriders, so refitting the Longlast makes sense. I haven't given any instructions to the new skiffs at Wreth, because they shouldn't exist.
The ships at TC I've directed to BM, to join the ships already there in an attempt to beat off a Kasgyrite attempt to capture the spire. If Kasgyr is instead gunning for VV, they will at least be able to get there next turn from BM. Of course, if the missing skiff at TU is due to environmental hazards, or simply a distraction, it'd be better to send these ships to BS- but my inclination is not to risk Kasgyr gaining the resources of BM if we have a chance of stopping them. (I've put the damaged skiff at BM on PEEK-A-BOO so that if our fleet gets wiped out we'll still know what's up)
I've also directed the Archive to VV to counter an invasion. Together with the three Meteors already there and the spire guns, it should be able to put a serious dent into Kasgyr's fleet, and may well be enough to prevent them from landing troops.

Draignean has confirmed that, no matter what they do, Kasgyr cannot reach our marines this turn- in other words, we have a free turn to dedicate all our efforts to fortifications, which should make our position pretty strong, almost certainly strong enough to hold out until we can afford to send more reinforcements. This is a supporting factor in sending ships to our left flank, as even if Kasgyr manages to wipe our fleet and drop reinforcements uncontested, they'll still have a hard time breaking through our defences.

Quote from: Votebox
Stormprince IS Pattern: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:02:58 am by NUKE9.13 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: August 28, 2018, 08:12:10 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Stormprince IS Pattern: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187