Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159617 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2355 on: February 01, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
One die into EMERALD (Spending 7c 3o): (1) NUKE9.13
No design dice: (2) 10ebbor10, Milo
Personally I'd like to make some progress towards finishing EMERALD. I would say two dice, but we still have things we'd like to change, so I don't want to risk finishing it.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »

One die into EMERALD (Spending 7c 3o): (2) NUKE9.13, Andrea
No design dice: (2) 10ebbor10, Milo
Personally I'd like to make some progress towards finishing EMERALD. I would say two dice, but we still have things we'd like to change, so I don't want to risk finishing it.
Agreed

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: February 01, 2018, 01:28:08 pm »

One die into EMERALD (Spending 7c 3o): (3) NUKE9.13, Andrea, Milo
No design dice: (1) 10ebbor10

Well, why not?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: February 01, 2018, 02:40:02 pm »

I’d say it’s unnecessary if it’s only one.
If there’s any dice going into something I’d make it ESP or Aether forge: we just have to decide if Aether forge is “as good as we’re likely to get it”

One die into EMERALD (Spending 7c 3o): (3) NUKE9.13, Andrea, Milo
No design dice: (2) 10ebbor10, Tack
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: February 01, 2018, 02:42:58 pm »

One die now makes it easier to finish later.

I really dislike the "if we aren't going to finish it now, why spend anything" attitude. That is a recipe for no progress, and not being able to finish when it is needed.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: February 01, 2018, 02:45:56 pm »

The reasoning is this: if next turn we want to finish it quickly, then we will have to spend 3 dice. 2 dice only gives 50% chance. That is inefficient.
However, if we spend one die now, we have better information for budgeting.  For example, if we roll a 6 we know we can finish it on one die no matter what.
Plus, I would like to do at least another revision of it before sending it to the production lines.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: February 01, 2018, 03:46:06 pm »

One die into EMERALD (Spending 7c 3o): (4) NUKE9.13, Andrea, Milo, Madman
No design dice: (2) 10ebbor10, Tack
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:18 pm »

EMERALD
Progress: 8/12 (3)

The first EMERALD cannon prototype is produced in its final (pending revision) form. Despite being just one cannon, she represents a significant step forward in naval combat.

Spire Wreth's Production Stands At,
13(+8)/y Crystal, 30/65 Banked
19(+2)/y Ore, 33/95 banked
19(+6)/y Wood, 49/95 banked
10/y Silk, 14/50 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 6 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:07 am »

So, revisions.

We need:
-Small ship tactic
-Big ship tactic

We want:
-EMERALD power boost
-ESP size/cost reduction

Anything else?

Quote from: Skiff tactic
Superior Wrethian Aggressively Rambunctious Manoeuvres (SWARM): AGILE is great and all, but it has some flaws. Most notably, it relies on the individual performance of our ships, and it fails if too many ships are involved. SWARM seeks to solve both these problems.
Ships practicing SWARM tactics will be divided into groups, typically of 3 ships each, with one ship designated the 'leader'. The leader will lead the other two in AGILE-esque manoeuvres, seeking to avoid enemy fire, harass larger ships where possible, and sink smaller ones. With three times the firepower, it is expected that taking out individual skiffs will be easy, whilst dealing enough damage to the shrouds of larger ships that they cannot simply ignore them.
Team-building exercises will be employed to improve coordination between captains, to be performed during down time.
Might want to roll at advantage, cos I feel this one wouldn't be very effective on a three or lower.

Quote from: Big ship tactic
Dogpile: A very simple tactic, that even the most stubborn of captains can understand: one of the ships assigned this tactic is designated the leader. All the other ships focus their fire on the same target as the leader. Positioning is left to individual captain's discretion, with priority being not blocking fellow ships' line of fire. 
Targets chosen by the leader should be the weakest non-skiff combat ships in the enemy fleet, where weakest is "requires least volume of fire to sink"- eg, those with already weakened shrouds, those which have already been crippled, or those that are notably less evasive than others.
Even though this one is dead simple, we might want to roll it at advantage as well, just to make sure it works.

Quote from: ESP size/cost reduction
ESP V2: This isn't rocket science. The ESP has a longer range than we need, and is too big. Therefore, we reduce the size, which in turn reduces the range, but not so much that it becomes unusable. Our aim is to create a transmitter that can fit on a Windrider with minimal effort- sacrificing a single cannon slot at worst- with a range that can easily cover an entire battle, or several times the range of an EMERALD cannon.
Others have proposed fancier solutions, but to my mind, there's no need for fancy. Just make it smaller.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:07:36 pm by NUKE9.13 »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: February 03, 2018, 10:16:12 am »

Quote from: ESP cannonade accumulation (size and cost reduction)
ESP is a simple concept made complex by our lack of understanding.
However, our weapon designs team seem to have far more overlap with this technology than we had previously considered. Using coils such as those from the EMERALD technology, the power draw used for plasma generation in our cannons, and the additional core power from SUCKERPUNCH and Ikusasa, we are able to generate the charge used for sparking far more effectively, and at a smaller scale.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:29:37 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: February 03, 2018, 10:18:02 am »

You realize that the signal from a spark gap radio is very, very simple right?

The whole point of spark gap radios is that they require no electronics, only simple (crude really) circuits.

Edit: Revision was changed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:38:42 am by milo christiansen »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: February 04, 2018, 05:37:58 am »

Quote from: Boxed Votes
SWARM:
  -Rolled at advantage (ie 2 dice): (1) NUKE9.13
Dogpile: (1) NUKE9.13
ESP Transmitter Size Reduction:
ESP Cannonade Accumulation: (1) NUKE9.13
I actually like the look of Tack's ESP revision now; he's right, we do have the technology just lying around, it shouldn't be too tricky to apply it.

Still looking for an EMERALD power boosting revision. Anyone?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: February 04, 2018, 08:08:05 am »

Quote from: Boxed Votes
SWARM:
  -One dice
  -Rolled at advantage (ie 2 dice): (1) NUKE9.13
  -SWARM + HIVE (2 dice): (1)Tack
Dogpile: (1) NUKE9.13
ESP Transmitter Size Reduction: (1) Tack
ESP Cannonade Accumulation: (2) NUKE9.13, Tack

S.W.A.R.M Hives
“Hives” are an administrative tool to aid in the implementation of improved AGILE tactics. Through this change, the crews of small ships will no longer be “an island alone”, but be barracked and practice together as extended squads. Spotters, Pilots and Gunners will no longer be tied to a single craft, but be assigned via roster across the different crafts in their hive, allowing each crewman to get an instinctual feeling for the capacities of each aeronaut and the vessels they work upon.
Thusly, when working together with other captains, they not only have a greater sense of comraderie and protectiveness, but can also better predict the movements and capabilities of their fleetmates.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: February 04, 2018, 08:39:36 am »

Quote from: EMERALD efficacy boost
Precise Emission Weapon Crystals: A study of EMERALD barrels shortly after firing reveals an inconsistent spread of heat and aetheric residue. Similar effects have been noted with previous cannons, but given their relative inefficiency, this was not considered an avenue worthy of further study. In EMERALD, however, these minor imperfections are responsible for a far greater proportion of efficacy loss. It has been suggested that the bolt's instability may be due to minor flaws in the emitting weapons crystal, with the often rushed production cited as supporting evidence.
Whilst the Itshana process has done much to reduce flaws, there is also something to be said for patience. A slower, more controlled growth process can result in a superior product, with emission precision estimated to rise from 98% to 99.5%. The use of such crystals in an EMERALD cannon should result in a more stable bolt, resulting in a more even spread of heat (slightly increasing rate of fire), and increased coherency over longer distances (increasing range and damage).
Creation of PEW Crystals will take up more 'vat time', resulting in an increased crystal cost. As we are not actually making more crystal, the cost of selectifying should not increase.
I mean, we could afford an increased crystal cost, right?

Tack, two things: you need a backronym for HIVE, and I think it would be better separate from SWARM. I mean, if SWARM rolls a 1, a separate HIVE revision could still improve AGILE's performance, whereas if it is dependent on SWARM, it'd be useless.

Edit: Harmonious Integration of Violent Egos
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:44:08 am by NUKE9.13 »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 187