Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159552 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2085 on: November 04, 2017, 11:22:58 am »

Quote from: Votes
A: (2) Milo, NUKE9.13

It just occurred to me that I should probably vote for my own plan. Since apparently no one else feels like voting.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 04, 2017, 02:26:44 pm »

Well, I'll suggest something, I guess. Not getting that scouting tactic now was just a serious waste of time, but regardless.

Quote from: Plan Shamelessly Stolen (Plan B)
Construction:
1x"Chimera" type Windrider:
Quote from: Chimera
1 Windrider Hull (modified)          (11w, 7o)
1 PROTOTYPE Ikusasa M Core:     (Free)
2 Small Lifts                               (6c, 4o)
8 SUCKERPUNCH LACs                (8c, 16o)
 1 Dragun                                   (2w, 3o)
 Dragun Mounting                        (4w, 2o)
12 Trims  (Select)                        (6c, 6o)
4 trims                                       (2c)
8 reams of Webbing                     (16s)
2 sections of armor                      (6o)
Total:                                          (17w, 22c, 44o, 16s)

Discounts:
Itshana Bulk discount: 14o=Select costs, 20% discount = 2.8 ore.
Final cost w/Prototype Core:
(17w, 22c, 41o, 16s)

Ships:
3 x Comet from Wreth to Three Captains. Tactic: Double Ambush V2
1 x Comet from Wreth to TC, High Vigil, AVOID COMBAT.

Infantry:
Squad A, D, E: Anti-Flanking
Squads B, C, F, G: Pin Down

I hate the idea of risking ships for potentially 0 gain (Comets dive on nonexistent transports, get slagged by fleet).
I'll leave this plan here with a scout but no ship deployments.

If it doesn't get enough support, I'll redo it to have up to 3 Comets, I suppose. Half our force is enough, I can't imagine why we would risk 2/3 of our skiffs (Which will be VITAL in the upcoming battle) for high potential of no gain/large loss.

Totally Not A Stolen Plan (B): (1) Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 04, 2017, 02:35:03 pm »

Totally Not A Stolen Plan (B): (2) Madman, Jilladilla
Say what you want, but I'm a bit paranoid about separating the forces that much..

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 04, 2017, 02:41:49 pm »

Special Project?
Aetherforge: (1) NUKE9.13
Ironcores:
Gelcrystals:

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: November 04, 2017, 02:42:51 pm »

Special Project?
Aetherforge: (2) NUKE9.13, Milo
Ironcores:
Gelcrystals:

Plan B is insane. Throw one skiff away and don't even try to pick off transports?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: November 04, 2017, 02:46:07 pm »

Special Project?
Aetherforge: (3) NUKE9.13, Milo, Jilladilla
Ironcores:
Gelcrystals:

I'd be up for a 2 or maybe 3 comet attack force, but 4? No.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: November 04, 2017, 03:10:27 pm »

A: (3) Milo, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10

Special Project?
Aetherforge: (3) NUKE9.13, Milo, Jilladilla
Ironcores:
Gelcrystals:

Cutting the amount of ships send will only increase losses, by spreading the fire over less vessels.

I also dislike the self sabotaging trend we got going on here, where something is voted for and then ignored. If a decision is made, and there's no new info, we should stick with it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:12:06 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: November 04, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »

what are you referring to, that was voted for and ignored?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: November 04, 2017, 03:49:15 pm »

I mean, if saying 'just stay above and don't get attacked' is suicide, what on earth do you call 'Dive on any specks that look like transports and kinda sorta try to run away afterwards'?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: November 04, 2017, 04:06:55 pm »

It is suicide because we can't say "just stay above and don't get attacked". We don't have a tactic for that.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: November 04, 2017, 04:10:47 pm »

I mean, if saying 'just stay above and don't get attacked' is suicide, what on earth do you call 'Dive on any specks that look like transports and kinda sorta try to run away afterwards'?
A)PEEKs will make the specks a lot clearer.
B)Not kinda-sorta, it's written into the tactic. The captains will retreat once the job is done.

Using less than 4 comets means waves with only a single ship, which won't be able to deal enough damage fast enough/distract the enemy enough.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: November 05, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »

So, shroud power clarification boogaloo.

First, you need to break things down into two separate sets of modifiers. A shroud's base power, and all the multipliers attached to it.

Base Power  X/Y Format. X is shots to hole, Y is to buckle
VS: 1/3
S: 4/12
M 12/50

Multipliers
Itshana Universal: [0.15,0.25]
Itshana Select: 1.0
Ikusasa: 0.5

So, to get a finished crystal's power, just do...

BASE*(1+[SUM(Relevant_Multipliers)])

So a medium crystal's max strength is 50*(1.65,1.75), or between 83 and 88 shots from a baseline un-augmented cannon.

Clear?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: November 06, 2017, 02:06:20 pm »

I'll be locking in votes momentarily. Stand by to stand by.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:06 pm »

Three Captains

The report from the Three Captains indicates a partial success on the ambush, though not without some costs.

The ambush went off relatively well. The comets arrived ahead of the anticipated Kasgyrite force, their speed giving them some time to wait and watch for their moment. Upon enemy sighting, the numbers are carefully noted. Two vipers, six skyskiffs, and two transports. The latter being the key targets. The comets move into position, and, when the time is right, the first pair dives.

The divers are spotted on approach, but the attack run goes relatively well regardless. Precision strikes on the transports succeed on battering one and opening a hole and grazing the hull on another. Defensive fire from the Kasgyrites fails to penetrate the upgraded shrouds, but has some unusual properties. A good number of the aether bolts, for whatever reason, are now a great deal more powerful -roughly around the power of an ISLAC- and their bolts glow with a bright amber hue. One of the vipers appears to be carrying some manner of upgraded weapon as well, a rapid fire forward cannon that is able to for once every two seconds, though with insufficient accuracy to inflict major damage on the skiffs.

One of the attack run vessels takes a hit to the web, and gets mauled under the pursuing Kasgyrite fleet, but the other makes it through, zooming through and moving to pull them out of position for the second wave.

Except Kasgyre seems to have upgraded their skiffs as well. One of their skiffs shoots past the rest, matching velocity and laying golden fire into the retreating first-wave comet. With its shroud already battered, it doesn't last long to the Kasgyrite's rapid alpha-strike firepower.

Still, it succeeds in pulling most of the Kasgyrite fleet out of a defensive envelope, and the remaining pair of comets dive to seize the opportunity. Once again, they're spotted on approach, and the Kasgyrites do a strikingly good job of coordinating return fire as the divers hit the transports. The shroud of the transport battered earlier buckles under the onslaught, while the second takes a direct hit to the centerline and bow, causing it to lurch and fall to the surface with its cargo as critical systems fail. Parting shots manage to inflict minor damage on the transport with the buckled shroud, but the skiffs are forced to flee before they can capitalize on its weakness.

Once again, the Kasgyrite improved skiffs hounds one, running it down and blasting it before it can retreat safely- but it's death buys time for the final captain to flee into the mists and escape to report.

Inside the Spire
It's clear the Kasgyrites have reinforced, and brought new tech with them. While we still have them grotesquely outnumbered, there have been some worrying developments. They've developed a mobile cover platform of some kind as a counter to the PLACE. It takes the form of a reinforced wooden section, large enough for a fireteam to hunker behind easily, and it floats like our PLACE does when in motion. However, it's also capable of generating a shroud.

When fighting in tunnels of average size, this development enables them to, occasionally, force us to retreat. Their new men are outfitted with a mix of heavy armor and gauntlets, some of which fire curious bolts of powerful golden light, or long range crossbows. In the tunnels, we're only able to fire a few shots into their shroud cover before the heat makes a further attack prohibitive, at which point neither side can advance and they take the opportunity to fire crossbow shots from range. The sheer attrition on the front ranks, importantly the cannon gunners, forces us to retreat and regroupat times, though we push ahead equally often. 

In galleries, we are universally victorious. The more open ground enables us to move forwards with our men after firing, and concentrated barrages from all four cannons have succeeded in holing their mobile cover's shroud. However, the aether-drain is too significant an issue for us to bring our fire rate up far enough to actually destroy their damnable platform before they pull back. Still, the shroud generated is only about skiff sized, and not all of their people can hide behind it. When their men fan out for shots, we still destroy them. Advancing on them with our infantry, however, has proven... unsuccessful. While our crossbow bolts are well capable of crippling them and forcing them to pull their wounded back, their grenades make it difficult for us to get in terribly close to finish the job.

Regardless, they've slowed us down, but if things don't go totally to shit, we'll continue advancing next year.

Confirmed Kills: 1 Transport, About a squad of Kasgyrites.
Losses: 3 Comets, Squad B, 50% of Squad C
Neither side has gained ground at the Three Captains

Spire Wreth

Three more comets are halfway to completion. The new Windrider, the Chimera, is outfitted with the prototype core and readied for war.

The aetherforge designs recovered from the Savant's archive, while ambition to a fault and not fully supported by current science, are deemed to be worthwhile enough to pursue. It's unclear whether his designs can be realized, but the project should yield something interesting.

It is now the year 368 AR.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 28/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 19/85 banked
19/y Wood, 40/95 banked
10/y Silk, 43/50 banked

It is now design and project maintenance phase. You have 10 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:34:16 pm by Draignean »
---

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 08, 2017, 12:52:17 am »

Normally I'd throw out a vote for U-Wot but it seems we might need more... practical solutions.

Either way I'm immediately voting for:
1 Dice into Ikusasa: (1) Tack
2 Dice into ESP: (1) Tack
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 187