Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159997 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1575 on: August 26, 2017, 08:21:25 am »

If Kasgyre HAS landed, they are probably not finished taking it. They'd get slaughtered for a couple turns before they could reinforce their standard loadouts with weapons capable of beating those things.

I think the PLACE should do nicely, however.

We can last indefinitely on defense, in most spires (No spidey-hole flanking in the Unfinished, remember?), so we might as well make CERTAIN that they don't get resources out of this.
Plan A: (2) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10
Plan B: (2) Tack, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 26, 2017, 08:22:57 am »

Taking the Unfinished without shielding our marines from the hazards will be a costly process. We're going to be losing a lot of marines every turn from the Madness there, and as such would need to constantly reinforce... If we get stuck in against Kasgyr, we won't be able to properly reinforce both fronts.

That, and the Unfinished provides 0 ore, so it doesn't help our #1 resource shortage.
I could get behind trying to run past TC (hug the edge of the Everstorm?.. Ok, not THAT close to it, but you get the idea) and landing at Wrackspire, 4 ore there, and 3 crystal there. But doing that will stall additional reinforcements to TC unless we build another transport... (I'm assuming that we're sallying forth once we get that second Windrider.)
Oh right, our 20% Bulk Itshana Select Discount cut off 4 ore from our minimal loadout for the Windrider. So we can spare 11 ore now without delaying the 2nd Windrider even more. (Minimal Loadout now costs 35 ore)
I'd suggest giving it the extra plating like our current one has, so as far as I'm concerned, we have 8 spare... That said, we could give it Select Lift Crystals for MAXIMAL vertical speed, it'd likely lessen the break the trim risk that Boom and Zoom has normally on our Windrider too, and be subject to the bulk discount too, and pair it up with 8 Select Trims, yes that's 10 ore, but 20% discount drops it to 8 (We're building these the same turn we build 20 ore worth of Select Cores and SUCKERPUNCHEs, so the discount still applies), so the budget checks out. (Maybe give one the Select Lifts and the other the Select Trims maybe? Or double up?)
Of course, this does preclude building a second transport to assist logistics... (It only costs 4 ore, but with discounts we'd have to abandon Select Lift Crystals, or the additional plating and half of the trims, making the very safe assumption that cost fractions don't always round down, but at the same time, we can viably outfit marines with just Pincushions and envenomed bolts, 84 wood for 6 squads is a bit painful, yes. But doable, and what else were we going to spend wood on?)

Hmm... Plan, not for voting of course, but over the next few turns:
Have Marines maintain defensive positions at TC, we build another transport and a 2nd Windrider (at the same time, so we don't sink resources in a transport when we might need them for something else). Once those are built, we blitz TC with both Windriders, skiffs, and both transports loaded with 6 Envenomed Pincushion armed squads (Maybe with an extra BLOCK or two, as well). We've been doing very well despite being outnumbered horribly. Let's eliminate one of Kasgyr's biggest advantages yeah? I know the Pincushion is crap, but they at least have some use with the venom, and can meatshield for the gauntlet and PLACE teams.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 26, 2017, 08:25:31 am »

If you use IS Lift crystals, then the lift core is going to produce almost NOTHING for a shroud. We'll entirely lose that advantage.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:05 am »

Quote from: Votes
Plan A: (3) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 26, 2017, 09:08:38 am »

If you use IS Lift crystals, then the lift core is going to produce almost NOTHING for a shroud. We'll entirely lose that advantage.
I assume you mean the core crystal?
I don't think it works like that, but I'm not sure.

As Jilladilla points out, it's not just a question of fighting the slendermans, there's also the issue of our men turning into slendermans, and swords do jack shit to stop that.
And plan B involves giving our marines no ranged weapons other than a single PLACE. There's no way that's enough to defeat whatever troops Kasgyr has sent there.

Stopping Kasgyr from taking the Unfinished would be nice. But 2 squads and a PLACE ain't gonna do it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 26, 2017, 09:11:46 am »

I expect two shipments of marines fullly armed with swords could take it, assuming it's uncontested. It's probably the same difficulty as Three Captains, and the spiders don't seem to be a real problem in controlled territory.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 26, 2017, 09:15:13 am »

I expect two shipments of marines fullly armed with swords could take it, assuming it's uncontested. It's probably the same difficulty as Three Captains, and the spiders don't seem to be a real problem in controlled territory.
Uncontested, attrition by madness will reduce your numbers before the slendermans even attack. And it's not like swords are their kryptonite, they're just effective where our shitty crossbows weren't.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 26, 2017, 09:15:40 am »

Uhm

Didn't we send three squads that got horribly slaughtered?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 26, 2017, 09:17:21 am »

And that is the question: If uncontested, it could work. If it is contested, we won't be able to reinforce it sufficiently to hold the line against Kasgyr. I'd rather secure the 6 ore at TC over potentially denying Kasgyr the Unfinished. Maybe edit the plan to send a skiff or two on scouting duty? We're at 8/10 line skiffs, so we can spare 2.

Glory to United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 26, 2017, 09:18:57 am »

IIRC, we took 1 territory at the cost of 1 unit, and only had 1 unit armed with swords.

I'd advocate dropping some squads there to make sure they're not capturing it, but we probably can't afford the second transport.

Edit: But the skiff scouts are a good idea.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:21:12 am by Nirur Torir »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 26, 2017, 09:32:35 am »

IIRC, we took 1 territory at the cost of 1 unit, and only had 1 unit armed with swords.

We had 2 sword units. They died very fast, and we only made the initial progress. Pincushions are useless even with envenomed bolts, we can't spare the ore for gauntlets or suppressors, definitely not guns, and do you want a PLACE crew going mad? We can't supply enough manpower there to fight off the attrition that the Spire will inflict on our ground forces, not without countermeasures or a second transport, anyway... And just throwing ore at the problem seems like a bad solution, given our demand for it...

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 26, 2017, 09:41:46 am »

Plan C:
  All Marines: Anti-Flanking Tactics. Do not advance.
  All ships: Move to Wreth, except
    One skiff from Wreth: Move to Unfinished. Do not engage. If engaged, use AGILE and attempt to flee.
    One skiff from Wreth: Move to Three Captains. Do not engage. If engaged, use AGILE and attempt to flee.
  Build 5 reams of webbing

Plan A: (2) 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
Plan C: (1) NUKE9.13

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 26, 2017, 10:10:52 am »

It's a good plan, I think.

Plan A: (1) 10ebbor10
Plan C: (2) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 26, 2017, 11:26:36 am »

Better than getting slaughtered for something that doesn't give us ore.

Plan C: (3) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Milo
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:33 pm »

Plan D:
  All Marines: Anti-Flanking Tactics. Do not advance.
  All ships: Dock at Haze Maze- except

1 AGILE Skiff to scout at Unfinished and avoid combat
1 AGILE Skiff to scout at TC and avoid combat

Herbie loadout:
2 sq Marines, envn pincushion
1 PLACE team

This keeps our options open for next turn.

Plan B: (1) Madman
Plan C: (3) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Milo
Plan D: (1) Tack
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 187