Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159636 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1185 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:14 am »

Your skiffs can attack shipping. However, without an additional tactic, they're also likely to blunder into range of a demi-spire's dock guns.

AGILE: Ships using AGILE will attempt to evade and outmaneuver enemy vessels, focusing on evasive action rather than maximizing damage.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 07, 2017, 04:18:59 am »

How about "you don't have the 'raid shipping' tactic- you still can, but it'll suck
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 07, 2017, 04:48:20 am »

Spoiler: Some nonsense (click to show/hide)
More propaganda? Acceptable?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:49:27 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 07, 2017, 06:35:08 am »

Proposal: Documentation verum est is our crest and war cry effective immediately.
Any seconds?
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:10 am »

More propaganda is ALWAYS acceptable.

Documentum? Documenta?
I'd like it as our crest, but a warcry... I was kinda heartset on "forward by the numbers!"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:55:01 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 07, 2017, 08:10:16 am »

Your skiffs can attack shipping. However, without an additional tactic, they're also likely to blunder into range of a demi-spire's dock guns.

AGILE: Ships using AGILE will attempt to evade and outmaneuver enemy vessels, focusing on evasive action rather than maximizing damage.

It doesn't mean they won't blunder into range of dock guns, ebbor. Just that they would actually attempt to evade the incoming fire instead of 'closing and engaging'.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 07, 2017, 11:44:32 am »

Alright, things look pretty solid here. I'll lock you in after about an hour.

REMEMBER: And additional propaganda you want to use for the event MUST be in before I finish the turn. Deciding who gets the credit is the last thing I'll do, so there is a slight additional window.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:29 am »

Just to be clear, propaganda specifically cozying up to the GM is acceptable?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 07, 2017, 11:58:15 am »

Just to be clear, propaganda specifically cozying up to the GM is acceptable?

You could try it, but I don't think you brought the requisite amount of virgin sacrifices and/or diet Dr. Pepper to cozy up to me.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 07, 2017, 12:00:08 pm »

From this day forward the official religion of Wreth is Draigneanianity.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 07, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »

Why has their big piece not made an appearance?
They're in danger of just giving it away.

... if only our luck or tactics made us able to actually use it effectively though.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 07, 2017, 12:45:36 pm »

Why has their big piece not made an appearance?
They're in danger of just giving it away.

There is a chance that they didn't have a big piece, nothing that could compete with ours.....
Of course, let's not assume the best case scenario, and just resume assuming that they're saving it until the last minute.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 07, 2017, 12:53:36 pm »

Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 07, 2017, 12:58:32 pm »

Quote from: Discord
Since Wreth were asking and it sounds like we suffer no penalty for posting different justifications I went ahead and posted my little speech into the core thread

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 07, 2017, 04:31:46 pm »

Three Captains

The three skiffs who survived the exchange with Kasgyre's corvette manage to escape without incident, heading deeper into enemy territory.

Inside the Spire

The battle within the Spire is vicious. Now that the Wreth squads are aware of the presence of Kasgyre's infantry, they focus heavily on drawing tactics as dictated by CCC, to reasonable effect. The fights usually begin and end with the PLACE being fired, while remaining pincushion and gauntlet shots only serve to harry the retreating Kasgyrite marines. It's an ambush game, like a falcon taking a gull out of the air- if the falcon happened to be using a flaming sledgehammer.

The high morale of the troops makes it all the worse when a Kasgyrite counterblow strikes home. The ambush went fairly well, but the Kasgyrite troops who survived the initial PLACE shot only retreated to the next available cover before launching their attack. For the first time, the Wreth officer seemed to have numerical superiority, and a definite superiority in terms of number of men with ranged weapons. It seemed as though it would be the first decisive victory, until the Kasgyrite soldiers began coming out of the larger holes in the walls the spiders used to use.

Bolts and gauntlet fire cut into the Wreth defenders as their ambush suddenly turned against them. Men with cutlasses crawl out from the walls to hack at legs, while Kasgyrite marksmen fire and reload from their cubbies by virtue of crank. The PLACE itself is very nearly lost when a Kasgyrite officer with a cutlass hacks apart her gunner, but overwhelming gauntlet fire is able to at least win a retreat. Man men end up with burned arms, but it's only through the gauntlet's ability to rapidly and decisively respond to threats that the Kasgyrite counter-ambush doesn't result in a fatal rout.

The ranking officer, now in charge of less than forty men, is growing concerned. They are clearly outnumbered, and if the Kasgyrites keep behaving like goddamn spiders, they're not going to be as easy to murder. He needs more men, or lady luck might be the one who decides who wins the day.

Confirmed Kills: At least one and a half Kasgyrite Squads
Losses:  50% of Squad D, 50% of Squad A.

Neither side has gained or lost ground in the Three Captains

Kasgyrite Leftmost Spire

The report from the five skiffs sent to interdict possible Kasgyrite reinforcements is a mixed bag.

The rendevous was successful, and the Skiffs at the Three Captains were able to get free without further encounters with the Kasgyrite corvette, and the two skiffs who had buzzed the spire in the middle of Kasgyrite territory reported no military presence on their way over.

They even encounter exactly what they'd hoped, moving from the direction of Spire Kasgyre toward the Three Captains: a transport. The only problem is that the transport isn't just defended by a pair of skyskiffs (an easy kill) but also by yet another Kasgyrite corvette.

The ensuing combat is, at first, a standard exercise in patience and deliberate timing. The Skiffs spot their targets before the the Kasgyrites spot them, but not by enough to fully capitalize on it with existing maneuvers. The Kasgyrite vessels close to engage in typical fashion  while the transport does its best to slowly evade, and the battle takes the pattern of that at Three Captains. The two Kasgyrite skiffs are peeled away first, their weak shrouds and wholly inferior design succumbing to aetherfire as soon as their cannons stop squealing.  The new corvette, however, is still a potent threat, and one that greatly retards the ability of the Wreth captains to focus fire on the transport. Like the one at the Three Captains, its shroud is vastly powerful, and it's ability to fire spreads of cannon fire is lethal. This one does, however, seem to be slightly less maneuverable than the one deployed at the Three Captains.

Despite killing the skiffs easily, the Wreth captains are unable to bring the shroud down on the transport. Their fire is too evenly scattered from their work evading the Corvette, and attrition there takes its toll. In particular, the Wreth attack is broken when the corvette's guns, having stopped screaming minutes ago,  suddenly begin screaming and piping out steam once more, vastly increasing their rate of fire once more. The sudden increase proves fatal, and forces the remaining captains to break pattern and hide.

In total, three friendly skiffs were splashed, but they were able to substantially delay the delivery of troops to the Three Captains.

Confirmed Kills: 2 Kasgyrite Skyskiffs
Losses: 3 Skyskiffs

The Haze Maze

There's much rejoicing at the Haze Maze as reconstruction is finally completed, bringing the colony back to its pre-war glory.

Spire Wreth

Two more squads of marines have completed training and stand ready, two more skyskiffs have been constructed, and six fresh reams of webbing have been completed.

The WOSV Herbie has its faithful Itshana Select VS core crystal replaced with a fresh small core crystal, and the old core is slotted into one of the new Skyskiffs- informally called the Vomit Comet for its ability to make sudden changes in vertical altitude.

EVENT: War Never Changes

The speech from the head of the Bureau of Culture is thoroughly inspiring to the common man and the ranking official alike. Copies are cut and run for weeks, with the speech showing up in the three Demi-Spires only short while after its delivery, and repeated by the governors with a fire that approaches, though could hardly equal, that of the original.

Many bright and promising new minds join the Military, aiming to do their part to depose the Kasgyrite tyrants and their unspeakable spider queen. It's an influx of new blood and new ideas, and should do much to relieve and stagnation in a department unused to war.

Wreth has won the credit. On a single design, you can choose to apply this credit to any of the three rolls that will eventually be made for the prototype in order to force that roll to a six.  REMEMBER: You must make this decision when you propose the design. You cannot apply it to any existing design, regardless of stage.

It is the beginning of 358 AR.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 50/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 38/85 banked
19/y Wood, 78/95 banked
10/y Silk, 33/50 banked

It is the now the design and project maintenance phase. You have 5 dice left to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:37:28 am by Draignean »
---
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 187