Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159575 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1095 on: August 02, 2017, 10:43:28 am »

Quote from: Votes
Recon in Force: (2) Madman, Jilladilla

Still leery of going into a major battle like this, but like I said on the Discord, this is the hand we were dealt, was it not?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:27 am »

Recon in Force: (3) Madman, Jilladilla, Johiah

Our best option I think.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 02, 2017, 10:49:46 am »

Recon in Force: (4) Madman, Jilladilla, Johiah, NUKE9.13
Alright, let's just do this.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 02, 2017, 10:57:33 am »

Alright, unless things change dramatically, I'll lock votes in and work on your combat.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 02, 2017, 11:19:48 am »

Hey umm... I brought this up on Discord but... We should also produce 2 reams of webbing? Our silk is about to overflow, and we'll need those eventually so...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 02, 2017, 11:22:08 am »

Hey umm... I brought this up on Discord but... We should also produce 2 reams of webbing? Our silk is about to overflow, and we'll need those eventually so...
+1
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 02, 2017, 11:33:07 am »

+1
If we can do this, we absolutely should. +1
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 02, 2017, 12:29:35 pm »

If not we can outfit all of the officers at base with vests as a stopgap.

Recon in Force: (5) Madman, Jilladilla, Johiah, NUKE9.13, Tack
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:28 pm »

Three Captains

The battle at Three Captains isn't a disaster, and it does a great deal to illuminate the abilities of the new Kasgyrite warship, as well as the weaknesses of Kasgyre's cowardly tactics.

The five Wreth skyskiffs were able rendezvous without incident, merging into a loose formation before moving on the Three Captains for the attack. There were three Kasgyre ships present, two Skyskiffs, and the new 'corvette' described in leaked intelligence reports. The Corvette is about three times as long as a skiff, and considerably broader and deeper. Her shape is unusual, with a broad, pyramidal head sporting clear banks of partially exposed cannon mounts. Cursory report shows eight of these bow guns, but no broadside, and only two rearward facing cannons on her tail. Her core appears to wrapped in an expanded cylinder of webbing, and the officer writing the report speculates that it allows her to keep a considerable amount of her power generation inside her shroud. In general profile, the  officer describes her shape to be similar to that of the throwing knives described in romantic fiction involving Spires from the far north.

Engagement is swift, and the new tactics to outmaneuver the enemy work devastatingly well against the Kasgyrite skyskiffs. When their kettleguns whistle their last, superior Wreth vessels can win the day handily. After their initial rate of fire boost wears off, there appears to be no area were Wreth ships are not superior to the Kasgyrite skyskiffs.

This, sadly, does not seem to be true for the Kasgyrite corvette. Its ability to spin and maneuver completely belies its increased size. The corvette is capable of sudden changes and direction and momentum that would impressive for vessels outfitted with Itshana select trim crystals, and allow it to track even maneuvering skiff's with surprising and devastating accuracy.

Two skyskiffs are lost to fire from the corvette before the Skiffs pull back in order to avoid further casualties. They put nearly two dozen shots into the corvette's shroud without significant effect, and certainly without a breach, and shots to its exposed webbing did very little to slow it down. The captains grudgingly admit that it's a terrifying vessel, and that they were very lucky to get away with only two casualties- however they do note that it's initial engagement was somewhat hampered by the Corvette captain seeming to attempt an ambush dive, despite having been already sighted by the Wreth vessels. At least it's good to know that Kasgyrite idiocy has not changed.

Inside the Spire

First contact with the Kasgyrite marines is made within the Three Captains. It occurs as both forces simultaneously enter a gallery, with the  'expendable' pincushion soldiers leading the way for the gauntlet and artillery groups. There's a stunned moment of surprise in which both parties seem shocked that they haven't run across more damn spiders, and then crossbows and gauntlets start firing. Kasgyre infantry also seem to make regular use of a crossbow, though their's seems substantially larger, requires a significant reload time, and punches straight through infantry.  Their officers were armor of bronze over silk shirts, and are basically impossible for our soldiers to bring down. Their bronze armor deflects pincushion bolts with ease, and it seams designed to be doffed quickly when heated by gauntlet fire. The silk shirt then proceeds to absorb multiple gauntlet shots while the officer fires back with impunity.

Their weapon loadout seems more limited, with crossbows and gauntlets scattered throughout the squads, rather than fully equipped, but they use a very similar defensive tactic of taking cover behind solid objects. Unfortunately, their crossbow seems better suited to peeking out and delivering a fatal shot than our pincushion, and fatalities mount. Eventually, our remaining pincushion equipped soldiers are forced to pull back into the tunnel they came from. The tunnel still containing the gauntlet wielding soldiers.

The tunnel still containing the PLACE.

We're fairly certain that no Kasgyrite soldier who got a good look at the PLACE survived. The weapon was devastatingly effective, though the heat buildup in the tunnel forced the operators to use only a single shot. Enemy soldiers were obliterated as the stones they'd previously used as cover exploded into superheated shrapnel, and the cries of the fleeing wounded were music to Wreth ears.

The ranking officer is somewhat concerned that his men appear to be outnumbered, and does not believe he can advance again and fully claim the spire next year- he'll have to kill a lot more Kasgyrite scum to make that happen. The PLACE is a defensive weapon, however, and should prevent Kasgyre advances as well as weakening their numbers. If you can prevent Kasgyre from reinforcing, or give him better assault weapons, he's confident that the situation can be brought to favor Wreth.

Confirmed Kills: At least one full Kasgyrite squad. Two Wreth Skyskiffs
Losses: Squad E, two skyskiffs.

Wreth has Gained Ground at the Three Captains

Kasgyrite Middle Demi-Spire

It's a slow, creeping advance that the pair of skiffs makes into Kasgyre territory. They manage to avoid contact with enemy vessels, but it's possible they've been spotted by the spire itself. It's impossible to tell.

The demi-spire appears to be fully in Kasgyre's control, and resource shipments make regular entrances or exits. It would make their presence very obvious, but it might be possible to intercept a few- though the skiffs don't have the cargo to haul anything back.

Miner's Folly and the Haze Maze

Miner's Folly completes reconstruction, and the Haze Maze is nearly there.

Reconstruction has finally been completed, bringing the settlements back to their pre-war glory- along with a number of pre-war questions. What happens now? When will their families come home from the war? What will be extracted of Kasgyre in terms of penance? Has it already been enough?

It all boils down to one real question. How long will this war go on?

Spire Wreth

Two more skyskiffs are ready for action at Spire Wreth, two more squads of marines have been trained, and two additional reams of webbing are ready for use.

EVENT: War Never Changes

The original reason for the war, the destruction of the demi-spire colonies, has been repaired. The people are now looking to their leaders to tell them what the new goal of the war is, and (rather importantly) why there's still needs to be a war. Soldiers want to return to their families, and the tax of resources being absorbed for the war effort is certainly not inconsequential.

So, how does your nation justify the continued war effort? This is a culture question, of sorts. What drives you to go to war, to keep throwing wave after wave of men at the enemy, even when the initial damage is repaired?

To count, these justifications MUST be posted in the core thread. The side that generates the 'best' explanation will be awarded with a credit to force any one of the three rolls for a prototype (and thus the eventual tech) to a 6. This must be declared when rolling the initial design, and can be done only once.

It is the beginning of 357 AR.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
12/y Crystal, 37/60 Banked
14/y Ore, 21/70 banked
18/y Wood, 59/90 banked
8/y Silk, 35/40 banked

It is the beginning of the production and design maintenance phase. You have 8 dice left to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:56:24 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 02, 2017, 01:56:53 pm »

Quote from: Designs
Cloudrunner 2.0: 5 dice (1) Tack
Grand Wrethian Officer Training Academy: 3 dice (1) Tack.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 02, 2017, 01:57:34 pm »

Armor? Did they fill out the proper paperwork to be allowed to use armor?

Also, that ship looks mean. We need something other than the cloudrunner for that.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 02, 2017, 02:05:12 pm »

We don't have bigger cannons. Not much we can do to punch through.
Sad that their completely new design went so much better and faster than our transport refit though.

Also, reckon they've upgraded their crystals. Improved mobility and shroud? We're in danger.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 02, 2017, 02:15:08 pm »

Also, reckon they've upgraded their crystals. Improved mobility and shroud? We're in danger.

They don't have nearly enough dice to have done that.

Or it may be a project they just finished.

So yeah, they could have done that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:17:44 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 02, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »

the only thing I could think off to kill that ship is the bronze cannons suggested on turn one. That or maybe some big ballistae, since we have crossbow experience? ( may also use them to rope the corvette)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 02, 2017, 02:33:35 pm »

I'd like the Cloudrunner 2.0 and heavier aetheric cannons (designed around select-grade crystals), each with +1 die spent on time.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 187