Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159871 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #840 on: July 27, 2017, 03:12:03 pm »

Assuming that we're halfway-competent engineers, we ought to know something about our dockyards and crap. How feasible is it to improve the functioning of our dockyards, and get another skiff every year?
Word of GM is that it's much easier to upgrade in specific small parts, rather than "Upgrade for more skiffs."

I'd say our 'best' solution is probably a dedicated manufactory for very small hulls, especially due to our wood overproduction, but we'd need to upgrade that before changing the production line to a bigger ship. Alternatively, we could do one for Select-grade crystals and then upgrade the pattern to use those.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 27, 2017, 03:27:25 pm »

While I did forget to include the other project advancement, it's a moot point since we have enough materials to equip all the squads we might want to send. Remember as well that we can't fully load a transport---gauntlets would take 1 unit of space, apparently, a cannon would probably take almost as much space as an infantry squad (Weight, after all), etc.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 27, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »

While I did forget to include the other project advancement, it's a moot point since we have enough materials to equip all the squads we might want to send. Remember as well that we can't fully load a transport---gauntlets would take 1 unit of space, apparently, a cannon would probably take almost as much space as an infantry squad (Weight, after all), etc.

You can stack up a shitload of gauntlets and still only take up one cargo space. The problem is that I don't want to ever round things down to zero. That always leads to uncomfortable weirdness when a certain number of an object doesn't take up space. So, transporting 1 gauntlet? 1 cargo space. Transporting 32 gauntlets? Still 1 cargo space.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »

What if we had our ship crew wear the gauntlets, but hand them off to an infantryman at the end of the trip? Wouldn't that then mean it takes no space and could be moved on a Skyskiff? I FOUND A WORKAROUND, GUYS!

OK, that makes sense. But then in interest of not-rounding-down, does "miscellaneous infantry equipment" get folded into one category of 1 space, referring to that pile of swords, gauntlets, rifles, pistols, and crossbows? Or are there separate and well-delineated piles of each, taking up 1 TU (Transport Unit) apiece? This is a bureaucracy after all, logistics and proper transport is important!

But yeah, that's OK.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2017, 03:39:34 pm »

I mean, the swords and Pincushions we gave the first wave didn't take up any space. I'm guessing small-scale infantry equipment doesn't take up space when equipped. The PLACE might be different. We'll have to ask when/if we get the prototype.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2017, 03:50:09 pm »

I mean, the swords and Pincushions we gave the first wave didn't take up any space. I'm guessing small-scale infantry equipment doesn't take up space when equipped. The PLACE might be different. We'll have to ask when/if we get the prototype.

Right, the small equipment that a unit is actively using isn't counted against them. Mainly because I don't need that noise. Large objects, like portable cannons, will have their own sliding scale.

OK, that makes sense. But then in interest of not-rounding-down, does "miscellaneous infantry equipment" get folded into one category of 1 space, referring to that pile of swords, gauntlets, rifles, pistols, and crossbows? Or are there separate and well-delineated piles of each, taking up 1 TU (Transport Unit) apiece? This is a bureaucracy after all, logistics and proper transport is important!

But yeah, that's OK.

Let's put 32 units at the max, and because I'm in a good mood I'll let that slide as universal. So 1 TU can carry 32 units of 'small stuff'. That can be 32 silk shirts, 32 Flintlock rifles, 8 gauntlets+12 Pistols+4 Pincushions+4 Suppressors, whatever. This law shall be universal, and thou shalt not make revision or design to change the effective size of 1 TU.

I'm going to need to publish another rules update/clarification soon.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2017, 03:57:16 pm »

Wait, what if we make a quantum-probability-changing machine to make 1 TU larger depending on who's observing it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:08:15 pm by Madman198237 »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2017, 03:59:22 pm »

So 1 TU can carry 32 units of 'small stuff'. This law shall be universal, and thou shalt not make revision or design to change the effective size of 1 TU.

I'm going to need to publish another rules update/clarification soon.

...So no recreating the Roman Lorica Segmentata, which had very efficient storability as one of its notable points?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2017, 04:05:04 pm »

Okay okay okay, what if- What if- Guys, we need to make our bureaucracy even more efficient, so our transports get better.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »

That was seriously my revision thought for the Skyskiff line, as well as for cheapening Itshana Selects.

"Bring down the full force of our mighty bureaucracy, and vanquish the terrible foe: Inefficiency shall perish under a mountain of red-taped forms filed in triplicate."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2017, 04:11:40 pm »

Wait, what if we make a quantum-probability-changing machine to make 1 TU larger depending on who's observing it?
Let's just switch to Hex to make 32 larger.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:37 pm »

Right, so. Jokes about doing something the GM stated in no uncertain terms 'Thou shalt not do' aside, we have been provided with confirmation that the PLACE will take up space on a transport. In which case we can only move 2 units and the PLACE prototype on the Implacable. Which is good, since it means we can equip those two units with both gauntlets and swords. I think giving them swords is more important than investing in the Cloudrunner, although I do agree we really need to get around to finishing it at some point. Hopefully before Kasgyr rolls out a proper warship of their own...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 27, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »

I do not like the certainty that the prototype PLACE will be ready for immediate use. It will be nice if we roll well enough to do so, but we shouldn't be locking ourselves into the mindset that we are using it now, and certainly not that we should be deploying prototypes as soon as possible as policy.

I'd rather spend 2 dice on the PLACE and 1 on the ship.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 27, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »

Of course, I am only speaking of the most optimistic scenario, where not only do we get the prototype, but it is also possessed of insufficient flaws such that a revision or two can render it suitable for our purposes.

Another reason not to spend a die on the ship is that, as I implied above, we may need all three dice for revisions- one to up the gauntlets, and possibly two to fix the PLACE. Yes, that's a lot of dice into the PLACE. But I think that it would be worth it. A good PLACE will serve us well in many situations.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:54 pm »

Honestly, I don't like the idea of deploying a prototype. The risk of loosing it is too great.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 187