Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159954 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #720 on: July 25, 2017, 10:55:10 am »

"Steeply" as a term has been used by Draig and then brought up many more times by Nirur.
Two revisions into gauntlets might as well be a new design.

Regardless of how cute your belief your revision will still be on the top of the list next turn is:
"Both" Doesn't Fix The Problem.
And it especially doesn't fix it Now.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:43 am »

Adding Itshana Select makes them cost more ore. Introducing a MASSIVE problem.

Fixing the user-burning and heat-dissipation THIS turn fixes the problems. Adding more power in two turns, AFTER SEEING HOW THEY FUNCTION IN THE FIELD, would be merely adding additional fun to the design, not fixing any inherent problems.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 25, 2017, 10:57:34 am »

Do you have a quote to back up "steeply"? If not then get over yourself.

Madman has a very good point.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 25, 2017, 11:02:24 am »

You can make as many revision per turn as you have dice for, and you can make them all to the same tech if you wanted. However, revisions (even on a string of sixes) have more steeply diminishing returns than most arms race games.
That being said, I haven't played any other arms race games so who knows

Edit: While I'm at it,
Adding Itshana Select makes them cost more ore. Introducing a MASSIVE problem.

Fixing the user-burning and heat-dissipation THIS turn fixes the problems. Adding more power in two turns, AFTER SEEING HOW THEY FUNCTION IN THE FIELD, would be merely adding additional fun to the design, not fixing any inherent problems.
We're within budget to equip every man in the Three Captains with an Itshana gauntlet, admittedly as long as they don't come with unexpected price increases.
However, the sooner we fix the bug problem, the sooner we start mining the Captains.
It's a better investment

Edit: I've accepted that human nature means there won't be a "wow Tack, your late entry thrown in to spite ours actually has some real merit", but I'm going to keep fighting for it anyway with quotes and numbers and (admittedly)'s because I'm just as blind to the thought of being wrong.
Let's just roll the turn so I can stop looking like a vain loser
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:28:45 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 25, 2017, 11:47:03 am »

We don't have the budget to give everyone Itshana Gauntlets. They'd cost 2 Ore 1 Crystal per fireteam, or 8/4 for a full squad.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 25, 2017, 12:06:34 pm »

....I wake up, sick because why not, just to see this happening?....

Alright either way, let us look at the main issues that prevent Itshana Select Gauntlets from working:
1:The Barrel and Crystal housing isn't strong enough.  To be fair, I think Tack's revision is the only one which would fully address this (Milo, yours would address the crystal housing only)

2:The power generated by the gauntlets small amount of silk isn't enough.   No one addresses this.

3:It would exacerbate the gauntlets existing issues with harming the user when it overheats.   I'm pretty sure all of the revisions are trying to fix or at least mitigate this issue in one way or another
(Fun Fact: Copper melts at 1084*C, or 1983*F if you use the USA's 'special snowflake' measuring system. Our gauntlets put out a LOT of heat apparently. (The heatsink has been described as melting after sustained fire) And using something other than copper runs into the issue that copper is pretty much the best material we have for drawing heat away from other more important things... (Well... Unless we have a massive diamond mine... (Diamonds.... Aren't rare at all IRL... Artificial cost inflation is a pain huh?) Draignean, do we have a large diamond mine and if we do will our government let us touch it?))

Anyway, at this point? We might just be better off designing a new thing for our infantry portable aether weapons (that isn't a cannon, don't get me wrong, the cannon has it's PLACE, but things that our troops can hold have theirs too), possibly going with my earlier cannon suggestion of over-engineering a bit so both normal and Itshana Select 'variants' have a role (As in, with the cooling, frame and power generation being built to handle an Itshana Select, a normal crystal would be able to fire much faster without straining the weapon, would it not?)

(PS, Switch me over from scouts to High Vigil, that sounds more revisiony to me.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 25, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »

We don't have the budget to give everyone Itshana Gauntlets. They'd cost 2 Ore 1 Crystal per fireteam, or 8/4 for a full squad.

Hmm.. I thought we had only one squad there. Looks like we've almost two.
But yeah, you're right, with addendums.

First off- Last turn

We've got 8 ore to spend (of course we wouldn't want to spend it all, but let's talk broad strokes)
So, syntax issue, it'd be 2/1 for all fireteams in a squad, so both would be 4/2
Possibly more because of the "significant material issues", but a rifle is 3 ore and that seems like the only other immediately available problem solver.
But yes, unfortunately we'd only be able to outfit one squad with the Itshana gauntlets.

I feel like equipping fireteams could still significantly improve our speed capping the spire though.
The importance of this can't be overstated because we currently have no way to get them out of there, and until a spire is capped it contributes nothing to our cause but dead marines.

Edit:
1. Afaik, Barrel is on a cannon, Housing is on a glove. It's just crystals held on a glove with wire
2. Not sure silk is the only generator. Still have no idea if gauntlets are powered from "battery crystals" of some kind or take in aether from the atmosphere.
3. Yeah, the books have them burning the leather gauntlets they're wrapped around as a "first warning" of overheating. Not sure we even have the leather so very necessary, but I think everyone is addressing it.
Anyway. So like an aether rifle? It would be a long time to design which, above mentioned, means a lot more dead marines than we need.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:16:59 pm by Tack »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 25, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »

Alrighty, again, BACK UP!!!!!!!!

We have to wait for this next report before ANY transports RETURN to our spire. Which means we have two turns' worth of resources.

I mean, unless Draig will allow us to load 8 or so gauntlets onto a Skyskiff.

For most effect on the spiders, we should develop an Aether rifle setup soon. Also functional for destroying enemy marines.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 25, 2017, 12:55:50 pm »

Anyway, here's an idea for a different time.

Double Barrel Cannon

This light aetheric cannon hooks two barrel assemblies to a single crystal. When equipped with a normal cannons, both barrels are used alternatively, allowing a far higher fire rate than normally expected. When equipped with an Itshana Select crystal, both cannons fire at the same time, offering far greater firepower and easily allowing localized shroud penetration.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 25, 2017, 01:01:00 pm »

That double barrel cannon idea is... actually surprisingly sensible. It would obviously be bigger and cost more ore, but crystal cost would remain the same (or maybe a little more due to barrel crystals). Later we could maybe do heavy rotary cannons, with powered forced air cooling and 3-4 barrels rotating in front of a single weapon crystal like a gattling gun.

An aether rifle would be inferior to PLACE, but better than a gauntlet... Definitely something to keep in mind.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 25, 2017, 01:04:32 pm »

Twin linked cannon looks amazing
I mean, unless Draig will allow us to load 8 or so gauntlets onto a Skyskiff.
I assumed so, or on a "merchant vessels" handwave.

We should develop an Aether rifle setup soon. Also functional for destroying enemy marines.
Between a gauntlet revision this turn and a PLACE eventually, a rifle could be just adding in too many extra links.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 25, 2017, 01:24:25 pm »

Why would an aether rifle take a long time? We already have a rifle, we already have a gauntlet, we're just rearranging the components of one to resemble the shape of the other. (Oversimplifying by a fair bit, I know, but it shouldn't take too terribly wrong (But either way we should probably divert our focus mostly on the skies if the cannon does well enough))

And we have 7 ore to play with this turn, the transport at Three Captains needs repairs to transport things again (Only 1 ore, thankfully) and the other will hopefully be mostly full of evacuating marines. (And it's damaged badly enough that I wouldn't want to risk it with a heavy cannon on board... And we can't evac and repair it... So do we play it safe with that transport? Or just risk it to maximize our fast response reinforcement wave?)

(Ok, went away in the middle of typing this, and wow that double barrel cannon is nice! Not quite what I had in mind for over-engineering the cannons, but it works and will probably work better than the vague proto-idea I was having... We might need a bigger ship for it though, so let's at least try to get a prototype Cloudrunner before starting it?)
(Draignean, is loading/unloading for ships that start their turn at Wreth still subject to normal action then move or move then action rules? Or is it special due to the fact that Wreth probably has dedicated docking facilities to expedite the process? (Basically, were we allowed to load->move->unload first turn due to first turn specialness or is that something we can always do?))
(If we can't sortie forth reinforcements next turn and have to wait another one.... I don't think we're saving those guys...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 25, 2017, 01:29:35 pm »

Well, if we're going to be making a rifle we should save the dice instead of improving gauntlets this turn, because that can go into the design next turn.
I was hoping we'd find a way to have a bugkilling solution this turn, but it seems unlikely.
So I'm happy to shoot for next turn and dump an extra dice into the PLACE

Quote from: Votes
Revision 1:
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement: (4) Madman, Jilla, NUKE9.13, milo
Gauntlet Efficiency:
Itshana Gauntlets:
No Revision: (1) Tack

Revision 2:
(50%) Light Scouts Doctrine: (1), Jilla
OUTManeuver: (1) Madman
High Vigil: (4) Tack, 10ebbor10, milo, NUKE

Links to revisions
50% Light Scouts Doctrine
Gauntlet Efficiency
Aetheric Gauntlet Improvement
Itshana Gauntlets

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 25, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »

I think the rifle should be something to do down the road when the gauntlet isn't good enough anymore. That way we have years of experience with aetheric weapons to build on.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 25, 2017, 01:33:58 pm »

Different roles, Tack.

The PLACE is just that: An infantry cannon. It does NOT work well for regular-old-fashioned killing of normal troops.
The Gauntlet is like an SMG, fires fast but with low accuracy and (Possibly) limited damage.
A rifle can be handed to every soldier (If possible given resources) and provides mid to long-range firepower at a lower rate of fire and higher damage.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 187