Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159929 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #390 on: July 18, 2017, 09:03:33 pm »

Ouch guys.

I had hoped we'd save additional dice. This is going to get mighty interesting.
Well, first things first, we're going to have to cheapen the Suppressor into a halfway-decent infantry weapon. Right now it's like the SMG of crossbows, and that's only sometimes a good thing. Anyway.

After that, I still want two dice for the tactics, just so we have options should the first one go...interesting.

Alright, I procrastinated again. You want to adapt our Skyskiff production pattern and HOPE that we don't lose too many ships from the production line? Heh, maybe it'd be worth it.
Then as it stands, my votes are: Suppressor Type Something Cheaper, Sniper Tactics OR Ambush Tactics, and I suppose I'll get behind a cannon-cooling revision. Let me write it up, I guess.

Aethercannon Cooling
At present, the removable copper heatsinks from our aether cannons are...somewhat inadequate. In order to take advantage of the massive increases in crystal ability caused by the Itshana process, and even more so take advantage of Itshana Select crystals, our light cannons are refitted with a more advanced copper cooling system that out into a cylinder of copper with a fan-like arrangement of blades capable of radiating heat quite efficiently because it can reach more air to dispense heat into. The slightly increased surface area of copper allows for stronger shots to not overheat the gun as fast, meaning we can fire more often, which means more effectiveness.

Alright, so we do that. What have we gained? Well, if it's successful, we can fire our MORE POWERFUL cannons faster and more regularly than they can (Again, without any knowledge of the enemy's capabilities), which means that there's no need for us to revise that production pattern. Anyways, for now I think we ought to go for a cheap crossbow and then WRITE UP A NEW TACTIC WITH OUR LAST DIE. Otherwise our ridiculous massed-fire tactics are going to get us all killed off really, really fast.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 18, 2017, 09:06:40 pm »

Oh, yes, the core is pretty expensive. Just the lift and trim crystals, then? It might still increase the shroud strength, judging by the flavor text, and trim crystals are cheap.
+4 ore then, better but it'll still hurt. I wonder if we should ask if shroud strength is linked to how much is hooked up to the core...

But I just got an idea for a New Revision Suggestion:
Refinement to the Itshana Refinement Process
Various blends of chemical batches are tested for compatibility with the Itshana Process, in an attempt to find one that's just as effective, but either significantly more common, or significantly easier to produce.

(TLDR, trying to reduce the Itshana's ore cost.)

(SLOW TYPING AGAIN, Madman, we did save the 2nd die invested in the suppressor. Unless you were talking about the die invested in the Cloudrunner?)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:11 pm »

Skyskiff costs 28 resources. At a guess, I'd say our line gets 300 resources maintained, 60 per turn built. It's at least 280 maintained/56 built. Assuming they're all equal (HA!) and this is how the line is counted.

If we Select all the crystals (35 resources), that'll give us 8 maintained (280/35), 1/turn. Just a lift and 2 trim crystals gives us 9 maintained. Possibly 1/turn. Now I'm realizing I'm clueless about how many are built. It might be 25% of cap, which would be 70 resources, letting us go with everything.

Let's try revising for 1 lift, 2 trim. It should only drop us by 1 skyskiff.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 18, 2017, 09:08:55 pm »

As long as "Suppressor type something cheaper" means "suppressor mk2" I think madman has the right ideas.

Crossbow, cannon, and a better infantry tactic.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:55 pm »

I was talking about the Cloudrunner, yes.

Uh, Nirur, Skyskiffs don't carry between turns. Meaning that we ALWAYS have so many per turn.

Draignean, can a revision be used to create an "auxiliary" line, or "aftermarket" procedure, in which some affordable number of Skyskiffs have their crystals replaced with Itshana Select? Or are we only capable of revising the original line and reducing raw numbers of Skyskiffs? Also, are there any hard numbers involved in the production lines right now (See Nirur's math above)?

Right now let's solidify our various techs. I'll come up with the tactics change once we see how our revisions go.

Milo, it means "Whatever I think will give the best results"
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »

I'm guessing we won't be able to see how our revisions turn out before we need to revise a tactic.

Is it possible to roll one revision at a time?
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »

We revise tactics separately, after revisions, unless I've been deluding myself about what I read in the core thread.

Nope, I was right, here's proof:
"After revisions comes the deployment, tactics, and construction phase."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:14 pm »

Okay, I'm going to mess with the votebox format for readability but I'll retain the currently voted for things. They're just in a different format. (Madman I'm ASSUMING you're voting for the Type-B, yell at me if I'm wrong (You did use Suppressor Type Something Cheaper... Sorry if I jumped the gun on your vote...))
Quote from: Votes
Suppressor Type-B + Skyskiff Pattern B: (1) Nirur
Suppressor mk2: (1) Milo
Suppressor Type-B + Aethercannon Cooling + (To be written up) Tactics: (2?) Madman198237?, Jilladilla

Links to voted for revisions:
Suppressor mk2
Suppressor Type-B
Skyskiff Pattern B
Aethercannon Cooling
Also, don't we make new tactics now Madman?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:25:19 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:09 pm »

Suppressor mk2 + Aethercannon Cooling + (To be written up) Tactics: (1) Milo
Suppressor Type-B + Aethercannon Cooling + (To be written up) Tactics: (2?) Madman198237?, Jilladilla

Suppressor mk2
Suppressor Type-B
Skyskiff Pattern B
Aethercannon Cooling

Please, not that nerfed piece of crap.

Madman is right, tactics are the next phase.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:28:43 pm by milo christiansen »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »

I have to read through all of them to decide. Honestly I might just propose my own that does almost nothing but strips out the ore cost, whatever that means.

Yep, writing my own.

Pincushion Light Crossbow
By taking a suppressor and modifying anything and everything necessary without compromising its basic functions as a light crossbow (Trigger system, basic ability to fire a projectile, and saving as much power as possible), this new version of the Suppressor aims to strip out the ore cost in almost any way possible. Essential components are made out of our finest hardwood if necessary, but the cost of metal must become negligible.

----Basically, take Suppressor, increase wood cost if necessary, but take out the ore cost. At almost any cost.

Suppressor Type-B + Aethercannon Cooling + (To be written up) Tactics: (1) Jilladilla
Pincushion + Aethercannon Cooling: (2) Madman198237, Milo

Suppressor mk2
Suppressor Type-B
Skyskiff Pattern B
Aethercannon Cooling

Like I linked, Jilla, tactics happens during construction phase. Or so the core thread's OP says.

EDIT: Should've mentioned, this thing retains every functionality possible, but anything that must be removed to make it cost less is removed. Like I said, replace it with super-hardwood at greater Wood costs if necessary, just make it work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:33:06 pm by Madman198237 »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:36 pm »

The pincushion doesn't specify that we remove all the good stuff, so I'll go with that. Can someone move me over? It's really painful to fix the votebox on a tablet...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »

We revise tactics separately, after revisions, unless I've been deluding myself about what I read in the core thread.

Nope, I was right, here's proof:
"After revisions comes the deployment, tactics, and construction phase."

Ah, no. Making new tactics is a part of design and revision phases. You select what tactics your people are going to use during the deployment phase. That is a bit badly worded.

Draignean, can a revision be used to create an "auxiliary" line, or "aftermarket" procedure, in which some affordable number of Skyskiffs have their crystals replaced with Itshana Select? Or are we only capable of revising the original line and reducing raw numbers of Skyskiffs? Also, are there any hard numbers involved in the production lines right now (See Nirur's math above)?

Hard numbers, no. Soft numbers, absolutely. It's a mixture of the roll you get and the resource increase of the part, mixed with other background infrastructure techs.

The closest thing to having an aftermarket procedure, in my mind, would be to create a new production line that didn't build complete ships, but instead built a certain number of parts. Say, Itshana Select Core crystals. A great deal easier than a full on ship production line, but still useful.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:38 pm »

Well, damn. Do we bet on a ranged tactic, or go with something else?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 18, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »

Pincushion + Aethercannon Cooling + (To be written up) Tactics: (3) Madman198237, Milo, Jilladilla

Suppressor mk2
Suppressor Type-B
Skyskiff Pattern B
Aethercannon Cooling
Pincushion
Welp, the Pincushion more or less accomplishes what the Type-B was meant to do, but potentially retains some functionality of the Suppressor if we roll well.
Excellent compromise proposal Madman.

Also someone write up tactics as it turns out we need to revise them now. (I attached them to our vote simply because because we all want them)

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »

I'd tell you I'm sorry for posting without realizing what I was missing and removing your vote, but I'm not.

Especially since it doesn't matter now anyway.

Anyway, the Pincushion will *hopefully* retain everything necessary to fire. Honestly I'd rewrite it so that it was just a Suppressor with reinforced limbs (WITHOUT METAL, maybe some animal sinews or something. Bone works too, like a regular composite bow) but I think it'd be too much to do in a revision. It'd be doing too much, and I'd rather end up with every infantryman having a mediocre ranged weapon than every infantryman wishing he had a mediocre ranged weapon.

Well then, RIP. OK. Just read Draig's new post. Tactics revision, here we come!

Crossbow Corridors of Carnage
Presently, we group up and shoot until we're out of ammo, before charging the enemy and killing them. That's fine. Instead, we now hide behind things that we can fire from (Find cover that acts as concealment) and fire when the enemy is in the killzone. THEN we rush them with swords and the Battle Cry of Bureaucracy.

Now can we get some aspect of our culture OTHER than the demented bureaucracy stuff? Maybe we can be incredibly religious, or perhaps we're highly democratic with a penchant for liberating others. Or maybe both.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 187