Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159673 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:22 pm »

[Cut from edit]
Oh, that's a sub-par crossbow.
I'll agree we spend that (1), but not sure if we should make a "Mk2" and try for some generoic improvements or just lean into the expensiveness, make a "Mk1.1 Arbalest" and have it as a captain weapon.

I was hoping Draig would wait until A. we had voted on the strategy and B. we had considered the ship alternative.
To be fair, he was probably writing from before the late entry was mentioned.
I still want the Corvette, so we might have to just deal with the crossbows for now.

Two-hand dedicated at short range though... we're just asking for a slaughter.

Will we keep the Current after the Completed finishes, for improved Itshana Selects?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2017, 01:10:58 pm »

Will we keep the Current after the Completed finishes, for improved Itshana Selects?

Yes.

Though Itshana Select crystals don't benefit as much from the improvement process (no double dipping), they already incorporate that. The Improvement basically just gives you a small bonus even if you don't pay for the select crystals.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »

Hmm. Maybe you're right.

Suppressor: Non-repeating version: Okay, so, the repeating crossbow was a nice idea. But it has not proven to be practical. Let's go back to a simple one-shot crossbow. We will increase the draw weight, and replace the lever loading system with a more conventional one. This should result in a weapon with a lower rate of fire, but hopefully not too low (3 shots per minute shouldn't be out of the question), with substantially more range and power.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:09 pm »

EDIT: Ooops, mis-clicked

Alright, first, for Draignean:

What's the string-only draw weight?

I vote save the crossbow design for a turn. We have two turns left now, correct? So we do not make any progress on it next turn, instead we revise it next turn.

This turn's revision:
Crystal Production Refinement
The prototype is moving quite smoothly. In order to improve production, stronger chemical mixtures are found that can improve yields of crystals per production cycle, allowing vatteries to use larger vats of crystal without risk of mixture dilution or crystal failure.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:23:37 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2017, 01:21:24 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Spend our die on a revision to fix the crossbow (Rework the lever? Add draw weight? Add possible revisions to the list)
Spend our die to revise the cost of the crystals (Need suggestions on how)
Save the die

Hmm... Minds not exactly cooperating with revision suggestions... Sorry team. Maybe raise the draw power and just ditch the magazine for now, to get a usable crossbow for minimal effort? The lever could still come in handy with reloading, if my very minor research in repeating crossbows is being understood correctly.
(And for anyone saying that this proves the crossbow was a horrible idea, that bug roll combined with the efficacy would've made just about anything a buggy mess that would need revisions...)

OK SLOW TYPER I AM....
Madman, HOW are you revising the Crystals? We spend dice on progress during the design phase, and we just passed that.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:59 pm »

This turn's revision:
Crystal Refinement
The prototype is moving quite smoothly.
You want to spend a revision just to say "Everything is fine"?

The lever could still come in handy with reloading, if my very minor research in repeating crossbows is being understood correctly.
The lever is not the sort that actually adds anything; you pull it straight back, and the string goes straight back.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2017, 01:24:11 pm »

Like I edited in: Misclick. Thought there was a new post to read and pressed "Post" to check it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2017, 01:27:18 pm »

It'd have to be cost, but frankly I'm cool with paying 1/1 ore for tier 2 crystals.
Maybe we can design a better mining process?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »

Ah, right. Still, I think we got exactly what we wanted out of the Itshana Process. I don't think it needs revising.

Spend our die on a revision to fix the crossbow (Rework the lever? Add draw weight? Add possible revisions to the list)
  Convert it to a single shot version with greater range/power: (1) NUKE9.13
Save the die

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2017, 01:32:28 pm »

We did, however an expansion to the chemical processes we're already using would be quite wonderful if we could keep costs down, just a little bit.

But yeah, I'd be up for a crossbow fix. I'd work on that like I said:

Add in locking pin/trigger-release for crossbow, keep magazine, keep lever for increased leverage (And thus faster speed) while loading. Add a bit of power by stiffening the limbs with bronze (Why does it cost ore right now? The bolts, I assume?) to make for greater impact on the receiving end.

This gives high rates of fire with the possibility of accuracy. We might even add a graduated sight to the side if necessary for accuracy.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2017, 01:42:02 pm »

Oh great. Terrible rolls.

We need to revise the lever and bow. Stronger bow + lever with greater mechanical advantage. Also we need to reduce price somehow...

One die now for better lever, 1 for completion + 1 for better bow next turn. After that we may need to invest one more die for completion...

Quote from: Lever Improvements
By shifting the lever pivot point lower in the stock we can significantly reduce draw weight in the Suppressor.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:45:02 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2017, 01:43:15 pm »

No.

You can't make it stronger without adding a trigger mechanism to hold the wait while the user aims the bow.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2017, 01:46:05 pm »

We could probably get away with increasing the strength of the bow whilst we improve the lever. The price is unfortunate, but then again, it's better than guns, since we have more wood than ore.

Man, there are too many ideas for how to fix the crossbow. And I don't really know enough about crossbows to say which is best.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »

Better Lever: Milo
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47:08 pm »

Revisions:
Crossbow:
Convert it to a single shot version with greater range/power: (1) NUKE9.13
Improve Efficacy and reduce bugs, keep as a short-range repeater. (1) Tack
Better Lever: (1) Milo
Crystal
Save the die
I guess the question is how revising works re: the incremental bonuses.
Can we spend them in numerous areas and how much does that decrease the benefits?

Edit: ah, ninjad by Milo.
I've changed it, but I'm not sure reducing draw weight is what you want.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:49:28 pm by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 187