Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159802 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #810 on: July 26, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »

So I re-rigged a few things in order to avoid giving players a theoretically infinite source of electricity. I've seen enough arms race to know where that goes.
... Peaceful utopia as there's no more use for fighting over resources, followed by a handful of absurdly-high-energy assassinations and an immortal despot psychologically incapable of sharing power, however infinite?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 26, 2017, 02:44:47 pm »

High energy lasers. Controlled by intelligent cats, because this setting totally has intelligent cats.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 26, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »

Cats are either smarter or dumber than humans but are so filled with hubris and cultural backwardness that a human could never really tell.
I would not give them lasers.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 26, 2017, 02:53:52 pm »

But you can agree that if we had unlimited electricity, we would do something at least that crazy?
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 26, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

Technically we have infinite electricity because we can continuously collect Aether with webbing and convert it using a core crystal, rather like using wind, though as far as we can tell there's no end to aether and nothing creating it anyway.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 26, 2017, 03:07:14 pm »

It's NANOMESHEENS!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 26, 2017, 03:56:31 pm »

Not sure they'd have seen wood either. That's grown too.
Actually, there's a reference to wood being harvested from the "jungle that covers the surface". For luxury use only, of course. Presumably the majority of wood is grown in vats. Or somesuch.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 26, 2017, 03:59:38 pm »

Wood vats are mentioned, and wood used for construction is considered opulent.

At one place in the book some guards are reluctant to break down a door because it was wood, and therefore very expensive.

Edit: Also, one of the characters was awed by a ship. All that wood!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 26, 2017, 04:17:13 pm »

Back from camping, can someone sum up the ten or so pages I missed?
Also, cats?
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 26, 2017, 04:18:25 pm »

Debates and arguments. Also, we've made it to 1/4 of Wands Race's pages, yet we've not done even 1/20 of the turns involved in Wands Race.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 26, 2017, 04:43:17 pm »

Let's see. Did you catch the turn? If not:
-We sent 5 skyskiffs to each accessible belt spire. Kasgyr did the same. At the Three Captains, we both lost one skiff, and our transport was damaged. At the Unfinished, we lost one and they two, and our transport was badly damaged. Kasgyr has developed new tactics, and improved their cannons- letting them fire more often at the beginning of a fight.
-The marines who entered the Three Captains got attacked by spiders, ranging from tiny to giant. Pincushions can deal with the smaller spiders, but deflect harmlessly off of the larger ones. Even swords struggle to pierce their defences, and if you're fighting a giant spider up close you are gonna have a bad time. We lost a squad, as well as losing half a squad when our transport was damaged. We need better armour-piercing equipment to continue to progress here.
-The marines who entered the Unfinished suffered from hallucinations, quickly driving them mad. Several disappeared, only to reappear later in the form of monsters. Pincushions were ineffective, but swords managed to deal with them. The main danger here is the madness, which we believe to be caused by aether in some way.
Then we argued about designs and stuff. Eventually we settled on spending three dice designing the PLACE: Portable Light Aether Cannon Emplacement- we hope to deploy the prototype to the Three Captains to deal with those rascally spiders.
For revisions, we went with one for better ship scouting tactics, since Kasgyr was using ambush-boom-n-zoom tactics (hitting us before we had a chance to raise shrouds)(the ambush part worked, but the zoom part failed them on account of our ships being faster). The second we spent on better heat management for gauntlets, with the intention of spending another revision boosting the efficiency (and thus effective power).

E: Right, our strategy. We were planning on pulling our troops back from the Unfinished, so that we can focus our efforts on the Captains. But the GM informed us that enacting such a retreat would be hazardous. We decided not to put the comparitively more valuable transport at risk to save the lives of the eminently replaceable marines.
We're pulling both transports back to Wreth, and repairing the one with less damage (and not the other, to save on Ore). We're sending our two new Skyskiffs to the Three Captains, since controling the skies there is more important, and we're already up one ship over them at the Unfinished anyway.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:09:17 am by NUKE9.13 »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 26, 2017, 04:54:24 pm »

Also, we've made it to 1/4 of Wands Race's pages,

Wow!

Also: We. Must. Post. More! Kasgyre is slowly catching up with us! This cannot be tolerated! A bunch of feudal peasants generating as much paperwork as the glorious bureaucracy? Unthinkable!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:55 am »

The book raises a question regarding ship naming conventions. To wit, whether to use modern names, or age-of-sail names. Personally, I prefer the older names, but the book uses modern names- which I guess makes some sort of sense when talking about ships clad in armour with steam powered (secondary) propulsion. On the other hand, unless the Predator is a lot bigger than the book makes it sound, comparing it to even early destroyers is a bit of a stretch.
So, there are arguments for both naming systems, I feel. As I said, personal preference has me leaning towards older names. But I'd be willing to go the other way.

My point is, this is a vital decision regarding the future of Spire Wreth. We cannot ignore this issue, lest we end up with a mish-mash of names with no cohesion or logic. We should hold a vote at once.

Quote from: Which naming convention should we use for our ships?
Age of Sail names: (1) NUKE9.13
Modern names:
Who cares, the name doesn't matter:

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 27, 2017, 09:47:43 am »

Age of Sail names: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman
Modern names:

I'm going to assume you mean class designations, rather than names.

With Age of Sail stuff we'll have names probably similar to first-rate, second-rate, third-rate, frigate, sloop, gunboat, etc; based on number of guns and gundecks.

With modern names we'll be basing our names off of ROLES instead. So if it's meant to chase down Skyskiffs it's probably a destroyer, especially if it also carries some form of "torpedo" as a single-shot slow-to-load extremely powerful weapon, etc. With the modern system we'd see destroyers, cruisers, battleships, carriers (Perhaps not very likely unless we actually make an internal combustion engine and a fighter plane. Or invent batteries and use them for super-simplistic fast attack vessels that fire only a few times before retreating).

Modern names are, without a doubt, better because of how they allow you to identify the role at a glance.

Let's go with age of sail, shall we?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 27, 2017, 09:49:08 am »

Age of Sail names: (3) NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Madman
Modern names:
For the most part anyway. I prefer airships to be like sailing ships in terminology. Though we would need to come up with our own definition for the "Rating" system. I doubt the standard for age of sail ships would fully apply there.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 187