Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159825 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #795 on: July 25, 2017, 05:10:37 pm »

Now, much like what has/will happen(ed) to the marines in the Unfinished, we are become the monsters.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 25, 2017, 07:39:44 pm »

You are mistaken.

The monstrous action is to create prison ships with well armored brigs, drop Kasgyr POWs in, plus some of our own prisoners to fill out the numbers, leave them docked with The Unfinished for a turn, then deploy them near Kasgyr residential districts and their capital spire's base.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:53 pm »

....Just thought of a question for Draignean (Sorry Draignean!):
Do we have to design medium sized crystals, or are they already a thing we have but just not relevant at the moment?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 25, 2017, 10:30:14 pm »

....Just thought of a question for Draignean (Sorry Draignean!):
Do we have to design medium sized crystals, or are they already a thing we have but just not relevant at the moment?

You have to design them. Currently medium sized crystals either shatter under their own weight due to growth irregularities, or when you slow down the growth to keep them from developing flaws they simply take too damn long to grow to be practical.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 25, 2017, 11:02:38 pm »

You have to design them. Currently medium sized crystals either shatter under their own weight due to growth irregularities, or when you slow down the growth to keep them from developing flaws they simply take too damn long to grow to be practical.

...Huh... Well, anyone here with knowledge of artificial crystal growth have any thoughts on how to deal with this? In a way that hopefully doesn't interfere with the Itshana Process?.... (Obviously we can avoid the issue for now, especially as Herbie proved that we can use downsized Itshana Select crystals to at least mostly imitate a larger crystal; but it is an issue that will need to be addressed eventually...)

(PS, Sorry for asking so many questions Draignean! You're awesome for answering most of them though.)

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 26, 2017, 12:07:05 am »

Well, most I know is, they stick 'em in a vat, a couple of generations later, bam, core crystal.
The matrix can be changed during growth by the vatters, and that's the main component which codes the crystal as to what it does, and it can also be tweaked later by engineers, but only superficially.

I'll need to re-read the Itshana process, but basically we seem to be after a way to increase the speed of crystal growth, and then something buzzwords matrix.

Also I'm not voting for kill
Quote from: Votes
Plan A: (1) Tack
Plan C: (5) NUKE9.13, Madman, Milo, Nirur, Jilladilla
I'd rather rely on our Scouts seeing as a retreat is going to be messy anyway.
But I'd like permission to change skiff allocation on A to 1|1 or both to unfinished.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:17:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2017, 12:30:50 am »

Well, most I know is, they stick 'em in a vat, a couple of generations later, bam, core crystal.

Generations?!....Welp... Either we have some super growth accelerating thingy, some form of precognition, or our Order Forms can transcend time itself, at least to an extent.

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 26, 2017, 12:37:07 am »

Generations?!....Welp... Either we have some super growth accelerating thingy, some form of precognition, or our Order Forms can transcend time itself, at least to an extent.

Super growth acceleration thingy.

Basically this is GM fiat in order to make engineering changes take place on an acceptable timescale. I mean, in the books, the core of Captain Grimm's ship was literally millennia old.

Airships are, in some ways, a bit easier to make in this setting. I mean, not studio Ghibli easy, but you don't need a hunk of rock aged in a vat for five-hundred years, and then 'broken in' for another century. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:10 am »

Aw. It should be the order forms transcending time and whatnot.

Because that is a suitably awesome bureaucracy right there.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 26, 2017, 09:07:50 am »

Oh my god. Density of paperwork. Prattchett meets Butcher.
We just need a large enough filing cabinet... maybe a habble.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:26 am »

Alright, going to grab lunch. I'll lock votes in and start work on the turn.
---

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 26, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »

So, I too caved in, and got the book.
And the prologue alone has, uh, overthrown my previous assumptions. Specifically regarding gauntlets. I thought they were like pistols, extremely basic weapons that deal minimal damage- inflicting moderate burns, sort of thing. But apparently they are capable of blowing doors off of hinges. I feel a lot more confident in their ability to take down giant spiders, at least after our revisions are complete.
Also, it seems like webbing works differently in the book? They talk about it being used as sails which consume power, rather than generating it? Not that I'm complaining, I think the way webbing works here is fine.
Also also, apparently they grow meat in vats. I wonder if they even realise that meat is nominally dead animals? Like, presumably they haven't seen a real farm animal in millenia.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 26, 2017, 02:30:01 pm »

From what I gathered it seems webbing needs to be energized by a core crystal, but it then produces some other kind of energy? needed for cannons, lift crystals, and trim crystals... Except when it isn't? The books are definitely story over consistency...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 26, 2017, 02:33:30 pm »

So, I too caved in, and got the book.
And the prologue alone has, uh, overthrown my previous assumptions. Specifically regarding gauntlets. I thought they were like pistols, extremely basic weapons that deal minimal damage- inflicting moderate burns, sort of thing. But apparently they are capable of blowing doors off of hinges. I feel a lot more confident in their ability to take down giant spiders, at least after our revisions are complete.
Also, it seems like webbing works differently in the book? They talk about it being used as sails which consume power, rather than generating it? Not that I'm complaining, I think the way webbing works here is fine.
Also also, apparently they grow meat in vats. I wonder if they even realise that meat is nominally dead animals? Like, presumably they haven't seen a real farm animal in millenia.

I changed web (and the propulsion) a bit for a couple reasons. Primarily because, tbh, the Core crystals generate power basically from nothing otherwise.

In the book, Core Crystal provides power via aetheric conduits in the Core Crystal acting as over-unity generators. It's not important to the story, so you're not meant to inspect it that closely. So I re-rigged a few things in order to avoid giving players a theoretically infinite source of electricity. I've seen enough arms race to know where that goes.
---

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »

Not sure they'd have seen wood either. That's grown too.

Also, oh. I thought it was actually gathering and converting aether... Except into electricity, I guess, instead of into motion.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:36:49 pm by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 187