Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159930 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #420 on: July 19, 2017, 12:44:43 pm »

I vote against having such convolution inherent in our government.

I really want to see the government be bureaucracy-filled but decent with large !!SCIENCE!! budgets, as opposed to inefficiently bureaucratic with no upsides. Also, the scholar-king thing isn't as cool as a democracy with bureaucracy.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:39 pm »

Ugh, first capitalism, and now you want democracy?
You realize how boring it will be if both of the spires are great and free America analogues?

I mean for one we're clearly an oligarchy. A senate republic even.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:56:13 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 19, 2017, 12:57:59 pm »

Yeah, since the fluff doesn't actually have any effect on the game, I'd rather be broken and interesting than be a "perfect" democracy.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 19, 2017, 12:58:27 pm »

Everybody knows Kasgyre is full of evil fascists. I would prefer we just quietly ignore the question of exactly what kind of government we have. We have bureaucracy, a destiny to reclame the surface, and everyone is appointed on merit in the best bureaucratic fashion. Who needs higher government?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 19, 2017, 01:09:48 pm »

Kasgyre is full of backwards primitives
That has also been established canonically.

Therefore we must be enlightened, and what's more enlightened than a cult of personality?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:20 pm »

A complete non-cult with freedoms within reason, and the education system (POWERED BY BUREAUCRACY) to make that system work?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2017, 03:28:31 pm »

Hey, man, a philosopher-king doesn't rule through a cult of personality. He rules through a cult of wisdom. Totally different.

Anyway, philosopher-kings are the best form of government, according to Plato, who lived thousands of years ago, so he must be right.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »

Plato was also Greek.

This does not make him necessarily the best of sources. Especially on the topic of government. We've had a few thousand additional years to study people and government, and can absolutely conclude that the best government is a democratic republic with functional yet sometimes-overbearing bureaucracy.

Maybe we can get a permanent bonus to costs and a negative modifier to time, because of our monetarily-efficient but time-wasting bureaucracy?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »

I highly doubt fluff will affect gameplay.

Anyway it is good to see the bureaucracy arguing about the form of our government. I thinks it's nothing but bureaucrats top to bottom...
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2017, 03:39:24 pm »

The only thing that can save us from the expanding bureaucracy is the expanding bureaucracy.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2017, 03:44:40 pm »

Plato was also Greek.
This does not make him necessarily the best of sources. Especially on the topic of government. We've had a few thousand additional years to study people and government, and can absolutely conclude that the best government is a democratic republic with functional yet sometimes-overbearing bureaucracy.
Oh my gods, Madman. I was not seriously suggesting that being thousands of years old makes one a reliable source. I was making what the kids call "an joek".

Seriously, I don't disagree that a democracy would be better. That's not the point. The point is that a democracy is boring.

The only thing that can save us from the expanding bureaucracy is the expanding bureaucracy.
The Ministry of Ministry Redundancy is on the case.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 19, 2017, 03:48:04 pm »

And I wasn't joking?

This is news to me.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 19, 2017, 03:48:17 pm »

We are not scummy commies, we are not evil fascists, not are we a democracy, nor a monarchy. We are a bureaucracy. For Spire Wreth, nothing but the most complicated will do. And make sure you remember that in triplicate!

Edit: "We will write our after-action reports in your blood!" Would be a pretty good battle cry...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:50:37 pm by milo christiansen »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »

Locking things in.

So, your national anthem is this?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2017, 05:43:00 pm »

Pincushion
Efficacy: 4
The Pincushion variant of the suppressor is something much more akin to the original suppressor, except with a greatly simplified triggering mechanism and a (nearly) all wood construction.  The reinforcements to draw-weight made in the revision proved difficult to retain while still removing the wood, though through the incorporation of quality vat-grown wood products she still retains a 30 pound draw, which is rather respectable for a repeater.

She's light, takes the same five round box as the Suppressor, and shares a fair portion of her power.

//This revision is added as a variant tech, not an overwrite.
Projected Cost: 3 wood to give one to every fireteam, 12 wood to give to every man.

Aethercannon Cooling
Efficacy: 6
Increasing the surface area of the cannon barrel and heatsink surface proves to be a simple and effective method of increasing the amount of heat radiated. While it doesn't add sufficient material to give the cannon a bonus from a cold start (or increase the ore cost), it does provide a noticeable and significant bonus to rate of fire when the cannon is already hot- making it idea for sustained engagements.

A typical light aether cannon, fired cold, can usually make 1 shot every six seconds for the first thirty seconds. This is unchanged. However, once hot, a light aethercannon with the new heatsink blades can make 1 shot every 22-23 seconds, as opposed to one shot every 30 seconds. Effectively 25% faster than original.

//This tech is an overwrite. Every light aether cannon is equipped with the new heat sinks.

Crossbow Corridors of Carnage
Efficacy: 5
Teaching our officers to be a little less bloodthirsty in their tactics is as simple as a few seminars on effective asset management and resource retainment. Men take time to train, and equipment is expensive, the best way to save both is to not show either to the enemy unless the enemy is very definitely dead. And I mean half a dozen bolts in the carotid dead.

Some savage warhawls might call the new and revised tactic of hiding behind things and shooting, then advancing (or backing up) to different cover while you friends shoot things as 'cowardly', 'really unexciting', or 'inglorious'- but bravery, excitement, and glory all have expense reports like you wouldn't believe, and nobody needs that noise.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:45:32 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 187