Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159675 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2490 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:24 pm »

Also another “bookshelf” design
Quote from: Heuristic Iconography and Idolatory Regarding Observation of Exceptional Survivors
Begin tracking the repeated survival of specific vessels and crews as shown by officially sanctioned individualism in uniform and “dress of timber”. Ships may also track successful kills upon their timber (in the officially mandated section and using Wrethian Official Italica- Black)
This will allow the tracking by high command of varying ships and crews states of veterancy.
Those ships which have progressed to official “Idol” status have also been shown through testing of focus groups to cause positive and deleterious effects on the morale of allied and enemy vessels in the sector, respectively.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:40:58 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 21, 2018, 05:08:33 pm »

Quote from: V(oteb)ox Populi
Ships
Max Pirate:
Just Do The Job: (2) NUKE9.13, Milo
Sit Pretty:

Marines
Bravely Run Away Away: (1) NUKE9.13

Production
Transport: (2) NUKE9.13, Milo
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 22, 2018, 03:50:14 pm »

I don't want to cede ground, and I am willing to spend lives for it. They are running out of grenades and we still have vast numerical superiority, I don't believe we will lose significantly more than one squad.
I will run some numbers on production, but I would like 2 transports.

Quote from: Marine plan Stand the Ground
ALL marines at TC: Fortify.
Help is arriving. For real this time.

Ships
Max Pirate:
Just Do The Job: (3) NUKE9.13, Milo, Andrea
Sit Pretty:

Marines
STand the Ground: (1) Andrea
Production
2 transports: (1) Andrea
- no select crystals: (1) Andrea
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:12:52 pm by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 22, 2018, 03:52:39 pm »

I'm fairly certain that we're gonna lose ground no matter what we do. Better to conserve our forces until we have a fighting chance.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: March 22, 2018, 04:11:07 pm »

well, I disagree with the assessment, so I want the soldiers to fight. Keep in mind that they are running out of grenades, their killing ability will be lowered immensely due to that.

Amyway, I ran the numbers and transports are cheap if we don't select them. Lets get 2.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 22, 2018, 04:58:30 pm »

Ships
Max Pirate:
Just Do The Job: (4) NUKE9.13, Milo, Andrea, Johiah
Sit Pretty:

Marines
STand the Ground: (2) Andrea, Johiah
Production
2 transports: (2) Andrea, Johiah
- no select crystals: (2) Andrea, Johiah
Tentatively going for Andrea's plan, although I could probably be persuaded either way.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 22, 2018, 05:40:15 pm »

Ships
Max Pirate:
Just Do The Job: (4) NUKE9.13, Milo, Andrea, Johiah
Sit Pretty:

Marines
Stand the Ground: (3) Andrea, Johiah, Milo

Production
Transport: (1) NUKE9.13
2 transports: (3) Andrea, Johiah, Milo
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 23, 2018, 04:59:22 am »

Don't we have a 'Fire the damn plasma cannon and then run away' tactic?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 23, 2018, 05:38:19 am »

Bad idea atm.

Their shield would tank the shots, so it would just allow themto take potshots at us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: March 23, 2018, 07:38:57 am »

Use corners and the ability of the plasma cannon to turn an area into a metal-melting hellhole?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: March 27, 2018, 03:45:27 pm »

Three Captains

The Black Ink arrives at the now lonely spire, keeping a vigil while the rest of the fleet moves in to strike the enemy.

Inside the Spire
The marines holding the ground are taking a beating. Outside of their fortifications, they're left to construct hasty BLOCK fortifications that are blown apart and set alight even by inaccurate fire Kasgyrite pistols. The cannons serve to keep Kasgyre from actively overrunning positions, but they seem content enough to grind forward and employ their mobile shrouds to tank shots. The riflemen see particular attrition as their weapons become increasingly unreliable, they lack the fortifications of the past to reload behind, and Kasgyrite marksmen target them whenever possible.

Losses are harsh. Sling thrown grenades detonate man and materials both, and the enemy seems to have held their strongest grenades for last, detonating with brilliant golden explosions. Casualties are inflicted on the enemy side, but it's a helluva a lot harder to get a shot off at them. The only people capable of making an opening are the riflemen, and while they get replenished as they fall from other squads, it's still a suicidal job to peek up from behind cover and take shots at the Kasgyrite front line.

Still, Marine captains are confident that shear numbers can win the day- although they're updating their casualty totals significantly.

Confirmed Kills: Half a Kasgyrite squad.
Losses:  Squad I, squad F, 50% of squad G

Wreth has Lost Ground at the Three Captains

Western Kasgyrite Demi-Spire

The fleet moves in to Kasgyrite territory, the largest encroach made into enemy territory in history. The Kasgyrite demi-spire looms large, but there is no defensive fleet settled around here. If there's going to be a glorious battle, it won't be fought here. Here, the only kills to be made are against civilian transports and dockyard defenses.

Civillian traffic, for the most part, is brought to a near halt. Any transports that survive are either those that make suicidal plunges into the mist, or those that launch at night and run without lights to get past the blockade. Everyone else spotted is brought down in flames by hunting packs of skiffs.

Raking runs by skiff packs on boom and zoom, as well as the occasional loosely coordinated pass by Windriders, wreak destruction on their obvious dockyards.  The defenses, however, are not insignificant. Multiple skiffs on attack runs are brought down by volley fire, or from heavier mounts containing rapid-fire cannons. One Windrider lingers a little too long on an offensive pass and ends up with its side armor blistered and slagged off the side as focused fire holes its shroud.

Kills: 80% of the Demi-Spires resources for this round, approximately 25% of their defense positions.
Losses: Comets x3
Damaged: WOSV Crystalclear [Slagged Port Armor]

The Burned Mountain

Passing through the Burned Mountain's aerosphere, the Comet's captain reports nothing out of the ordinary. The flyby reveals no Kasgyrite activity around the volcanic spire.

The Wrackspire

As unstable and variant as it was during the first landing, the captain of the Comet makes a point of keeping a good distance away from the shimmering distortions and flying boulders that dance around the Wrackspire's broken bulk. There's no evidence that Kasgyre is here, nor is there evidence of some community of hardscrabble marines that's just waiting for pickup.

The Unfinished

There is no report from the Comet sent to patrol the Unfinished spire, however, a letter does come in from your former officer. She details that the Kasgyrites have arrived in strength, with three vipers and seven skiffs. While her master is not affected by these issues, and has managed to incapacitate one of the Vipers, production cannot continue while they actively continue to bombard the shipping points.

Kasgyre has cut off all resources from The Unfinished this Round

Spire Wreth

The WOSV Deadline enters service alongside two new transports, the WOSV Ledger and the foreign sounding WOSV Imafuku. Another comet is manufactured to replace last year's losses.

Event: The Archangel

By great coincidence, two great artists, one of Kasgyre and one of Wreth, are unveiling a great work of art. Competition, kismet, or a certain sense of madness has caused both to name their piece of art 'The Archangel'.

Show me this piece of art. The winner will inspire a member of their design team great heights, enabling them to either make a project with no dice cost, or to have one turn where rushing projects does not introduce bugs.

Is is now the beginning of the year 377 AR.

Spire Wreth's Production Stands At,
13(+8)/y Crystal, 39/65 Banked
19(+2)/y Ore, 36/95 banked
19(+6)/y Wood, 94/95 banked
10/y Silk, 34/50 banked

It is now the design and project maintenance phase. You have 5 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:13:42 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 27, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »

Ah, sorry. I'm a words guy, not a pictures guy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 28, 2018, 07:57:30 am »

Alright then. I think investing 2 dice into the ECD is pretty much a given. Whether we want to do anything else is up in the air. We could invest in the Aetherforge... I guess we could use the extra ore.

Quote from: Votes
Project Progress:
Invest 2 dice in ECD (4C, 120, 8W): (1) NUKE9.13
Invest 2 dice in Aetherforge (Free): (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 28, 2018, 09:00:14 am »

Barring more interesting suggestions, we could make the Archangel a majestic ship proudly displaying Wreth's colors and heraldry and whatnot. Preferably accompanied by the paperwork required to make such a ship.

We will win through sheer weight of paperwork.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: March 28, 2018, 09:12:00 am »

I mean, if you feel you can draw something like that, you go ahead.

Personally, I can just about draw a stick figure, so I'll stick to writing. Trying to figure out a good format for a poem praising the eldritch magnificence of an Archangel.

E: Something like this, maybe.
Quote from: Rough draft
Sailors turn your boats away
when you see that holy light.
Live to sail another day,
not for mortals is the sight-

Of pearly wings and golden skin
and a face I shan't describe.
See it and your vision's fin
and you're driven to imbibe.

Heed my words, you sons of men,
such beauty, 'tis not for us.