Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159669 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2460 on: March 16, 2018, 10:05:48 am »

So, in your plan, do we abandon TC whilst we finish the Aetherforge? Cos what with us being driven out of our fortifications, we're gonna get utterly rekt unless we can supply something to turn the tide ASAP.

Also, they have a long range advantage. For our marines to even get to close range, they need to wade through a hail of bolts and blasts from their superior weaponry. We'd need armour capable of tanking a couple of hits to make melee troops viable as a primary damage dealer.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:05 am »

Quote from: Votebox of doom
Project Progress
1 die to EMERALD: (5) Johiah, Milo, andrea, 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13
    - 7 crystal, 3 ore
1 die to Aether Forge: (2) Johiah , andrea
Save 1 die: (3) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Milo

New Designs
White Powder:
- 3 dice: (3) Milo, Andrea, 10ebbor10

Qhumane Grenade (3 dice): (1) NUKE9.13

I like aether forge, but I think we will want that die for a revision, or even to save for next turn.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 16, 2018, 12:33:11 pm »

Updating my vote. I feel like the better gun is something really important that we really need that addresses our main ground issue. Especially if they can snipe the guys who maintain their shrouds.
Project Progress
1 die to EMERALD: (5) Johiah, Milo, andrea, 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13
    - 7 crystal, 3 ore
Save 1 die: (3) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Milo

New Designs
White Powder:
- 3 dice: (4) Milo, Andrea, 10ebbor10, Johiah

Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 16, 2018, 02:59:15 pm »

Eastern Cave Dragun (V0.3.1)
The fast-becoming lacklustre results from the PLACE means that an Analog analogue needs to be developed in order to maintain our cavern competitiveness quotient.
To this end, the “Common field Dragun” is being fully redesigned as a close support incendiary/grapeshot field cannon, expressly designed for use in a labrynthian biome.
An onboard lift crystal will help it negotiate rough terrain and allow a team to shift it quickly via the use of handles along the side- which will also function to balance the unwieldy cannon in transit. To aid in tempering the massive recoil of an analog weapon, bronze-reinforced skids run along the bottom.

The range cannot compete with the aetheric PLACE, but judging from ship-to-ship combat should be plenty for area-of-denial and terrain clearance, whilst the incendiary component will demolish infantry formations and ignite unprotected grenadoes.
Lastly, the testing and revisions already done to our various PLACE designs will allow for a much safer environment for our gunners, in the event the weapon suffers from similar environmental hazards.

Project Progress
1 die to EMERALD: (6) Johiah, Milo, andrea, 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Tack
    - 7 crystal, 3 ore
Save 1 die: (4) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Milo, Tack

New Designs
White Powder:
ECD:
- 3 dice: (1) Tack

In Wrethian fashion, I give a five point list for why I see the ECD being a relevant design.
1. Faster (hopefully significantly) and cheaper to implement
2. Supported by existing techs
3. Important to counter battlefield meta
4. Revisable
5. Open to improvement by a later development of smokeless powder

Edit: Took my vote off the Aetherforge after discovering:
So we could do a new alloy design also which wouldn’t make me upset either.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:49:03 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 16, 2018, 03:40:49 pm »

Project Progress
1 die to EMERALD: (6) Johiah, Milo, andrea, 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Tack
    - 7 crystal, 3 ore

New Designs
White Powder:
ECD:
- 3 dice: (2) Tack, NUKE9.13

Qhumane Grenade (3 dice):
I mean, sure. It deals with their shields & shrouds, which is the important thing.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 16, 2018, 05:01:44 pm »

Tough choice; as I said on the Discord: White Powder gives us an eventually necessary tech progression. But the Eastern Cave Dragun is much more immediately relevant.. Very much not a simple vote.
Project Progress
1 die to EMERALD: (7) Johiah, Milo, andrea, 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Tack, Jilladilla
    - 7 crystal, 3 ore

New Designs
White Powder:
ECD:
- 3 dice: (3) Tack, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 16, 2018, 05:03:21 pm »

We are already having trouble with too much smoke, the ECD will simply make it worse.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:22 pm »

But the inefficient combustion of black powder is just more firepower (aha) downrange.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:16 pm »

However, the blinding clouds of smoke are a severe issue in tunnel fighting, and reduce the marine's ability to pick targets considerably- which limits the barrage to pushing off closer presses.

Basically, with black powder we will ruin any hope of seeing them coming (I admit, I didn't think of this when I proposed the CFD). This will make it much easier for a Kasgyrite change to get in grenade range while the ECD is reloading.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: March 16, 2018, 09:24:05 pm »

If they want to charge into the wake of a grapeshot cannon, that is entirely their prerogative.
I daresay after that baby fires, nobody will be wanting to do much of anything for a bit, except with the minor proviso that our soldiers will have tinnitus, whilst their soldiers will have a bad case of raspberry jam.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 17, 2018, 06:40:58 am »

It sounded to me like the blinding smoke was mostly from having so many small guns. Hopefully one big one shouldn't have the same issue as much.
Project Progress
1 die to EMERALD: (7) Johiah, Milo, andrea, 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Tack, Jilladilla
    - 7 crystal, 3 ore

New Designs
White Powder:
- 3 dice: (3) Milo, Andrea, 10ebbor10
ECD:
- 3 dice: (4) Tack, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Johiah

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 18, 2018, 04:41:44 pm »

EMERALD
Progress: 12/12 (3)
The EMERALD project is completed, giving Wreth the ability to mass-produce bright red long range cannons. End of project forms are filed, paper is shuffled, and everyone coos and awes as the sweet cycle of bureaucracy births another cannon into the world.

Eastern Cave Dragun
[Time: 5 Progress: 5 Cost: 1]

There's an interesting issue with the ECD project. It isn't any particular engineering difficulty, the designs have been laid out and the testing begun at a record rate, rather it's a problem with the regulations on how to request materials for cannon based research projects. It turns out that a bit of ambiguous wording between the regulations made for material requistions between 'cannons', 'aetheric weapons', and 'gunpowder devices', have made for a few fun loopholes that have allowed the engineers to order basically anything they want. Considering the progress they're making, the brass doesn't grumble too much even when the auditors nearly wring their hands raw.

Eastern Cave Dragun: 5/10 | 2 Crystal, 6 Ore, 4 Wood | Nothing invested | Rushed 0 Times

[Time: 5 Progress: 5 Cost: 1]

Prototype
[Efficacy: 6 Cost: 2 Bugs:4]

The ECD suffers from two problems. The first is that she's expensive, the second is that the engineers are in love, and they might have gone through a few more field test rounds that was strictly necessary.

There's very little of the CFD's structure that remains, a basic resemblance around the connections between her miniscule core and trim crystals, but that's about it. Her structure is rugged, reinforced with bronze where necessary to absorb the recoil, but kept as mobile as possible. She's squat and low to the ground, supported by four wheels and a rudimentary spring suspension to help navigate rough terrain. She'll move with or without trim assistance, through she's much easier on the men when she's powered. Her barrel is basically a straight rip from the Dragun used on ships, with additional reinforcement to provide a better safety margin for operators in the field. Folding bronze skids can be deployed prior to unpowering the trims to help dig-in while firing, although they do have the irritating tendency to jam and slow down the ECD's ability to be redeployed at speed.

Like the Dragun, she requires a length reload time, managing only about one shot in 3 minutes when given a crew of four. However, skilled operators could cut that considerably, and she's strikingly reliable. The same reinforcements that allow her to shrug off recoil and trundle over poor terrain also give her remarkable staying power against damage, and it'll take more than a few stray shots to put her out of commission.

Engineers do advise that everyone in the area around the cannon wear adequate protection, unless they've got a driving desire to bleed from the ears and be permanently deaf.

The largest drawback is her material costs. The engineers spared no expense, and while nothing is particularly lavish, everything adds up. She used an enormous amount of metal, good wood, and still requires a better set of trims and micro-core to compensate for her bulk.

Eastern Cave Dragun: 2 Crystal, 6 Ore, 4 wood, 1 Silk | Requires a full fireteam to function | Requires 1 TU | A light conventional cannon, refitted for marine use. With her own tiny core and dedicated trims, she can run powered to reduce weight and ease handling, but her bronze spring suspension is capable of being pushed while unpowered over rough terrain. She's extremely rugged and low maintenance. She can be reloaded in three minutes by ordinary marines. She can fire all ammunition used by Dragun cannons.

Spire Wreth's Production Stands At,
13(+8)/y Crystal, 46/65 Banked
19(+2)/y Ore, 23/95 banked
19(+6)/y Wood, 89/95 banked
10/y Silk, 28/50 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 1 die left to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:50:15 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 18, 2018, 04:56:50 pm »

ECD Materials Review:
The Engineers may have indeed gone overboard on the development of this weapon, and once again it is up to the fleet of auditors to see whether the brass etchings are strictly necessary for the smooth functioning of the gun. This is by now a routine function of the department, and becoming regarded among the brass as a necessary penitence for our scientific utopia.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 18, 2018, 05:32:56 pm »

Quote from: Revisions of doom
ECD Materials Review: (2?) Johiah, (Tack?)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: March 18, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »

Honestly, I don't think an ECD revision is worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 187