Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159749 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1905 on: October 05, 2017, 04:49:40 pm »

We NEED a good infantry tactic, so no. Not only no, but hell no.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 08, 2017, 09:56:15 am »

Quote from: Votebox
3 Dice into the Ikusasa Project: (3) Jilladilla, Milo, 10ebbor10

Running vote, Names of the two new transports?

Leave them as Shibboleth and Batholith: (1)10ebbor10
Thing 1 and Thing 2: (1) Milo

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: October 10, 2017, 02:53:57 pm »

Ikusasa Project
Progress: 15/20 (6+5+2)

Research into crystal matrices breaks new ground, but it seems that ground was relatively soft and pliant. Using prior work done during the Itshana project, and taking full advantage of the great purity of itshana crystals in order to analyze the nucleation of the extant flaws that prevent the growth of usable large crystals, the engineers are able to pursue a number of promising leads in record time. The initial prototype pattern is set, and several new crystals are grown in order to fully test the power of the new Ikusasa matrix.

Prototype
[Efficacy: 6 (Forced) Cost: 5 Bugs: 3+2]

The prototype Ikusasa cores are marvels, and the engineers are ridiculously proud of them. Their explanations are long-winded, technical, and capable of glazing eyes at fifty paces. The gist of it is that crystals, in order to be totally pure, have to bridge energy discontinuities that can only be reconciled by every element that will become the next sheet of crystal plane lining up by happenstance. While the Itshana process and the thermovariable tanks make this process easier, the difficulty of growing a new crystal plane increases exponentially with area. However, environments that energetically capable of growing crystals will grow crystals, discontinuities be damned, and that results in imperfections- quirks of formation that deviate from perfect structure because perfect structure was not physically possible in the current configuration of sub-crystalline structures. Thus flaws are introduced in even the best of conditions, and the effect is most striking in larger crystal types

The Ikusasa cores, in order to work around the issue, do something relatively counter-intuitive: they leave sections of the crystal unused by the matrix, just as blank crystal. By creating a matrix that has these dead-zones inside of it, certain positions around the crystal can be stimulate to form controlled flaws, nucleation sites for the next layer of crystal. In essence, instead of attempting to combat all flaws, the Ikusasa process allows engineers to control where the flaws end up. The resulting cores are visually distinctive, containing glittering interior sections that refract light and create unique patterns of diffraction when under direct light.

While most of the prototypes are tiny, little more than toy trinkets to decorate the engineering lab as trophies, the main unveiling is a core crystal of unprecedented scale- approximately four times the size of the small cores used previously, and roughly six times the strength of an unaugmented small core, she represents the latest advances in shroud technology. Better still, the Ikusasa matrix can be incorporated into any new cores  we grow, improving its efficacy by approximately 50% relative to baseline. This effect is cumulative with the standard Itshana process (Yielding an increase of 65-75% from gen 1 core crystals), but incompatible with the Select approach.

Medium Core Crystal: 20 Crystal | (As other core crystals)

You will only be able to take advantage of the Ikusas matrix in other crystals when the project is complete.

It is the revision phase. You have 2 dice left to spend.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 22/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 25/85 banked
19/y Wood, 70/95 banked
10/y Silk, 37/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:14:20 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 10, 2017, 04:02:31 pm »

Firstly, amazing doublespeech
Secondly, aw, no Select Mediums?

One for the players- thoughts on revising the Windrider to use one of these?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 10, 2017, 04:11:27 pm »

Firstly, amazing doublespeech
Secondly, aw, no Select Mediums?

One for the players- thoughts on revising the Windrider to use one of these?
Select Mediums: because we have 20 Ore to spare?

I think it'd take more than a revision to fit this into a Windrider. Better to design an all-new ship around it. Whenever we find the time to do such a thing.
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 10, 2017, 04:15:54 pm »

Not this turn, but soon. This turn we need an infantry tactic.

4 times the size, and 6 times the strength? We can probably fit that into the windrider without too much trouble. It would only be twice as large as what it has now, an we would save some space because we only need one crystal mount. More importaintly, we would greatly improve the surge situation since we would not have to worry about balancing two cores.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »

Hmm. Our two crystals are operating at 200%, right?
So that's not a gigantic increase changing it out for one, especially as that comes with yet another unpredictable revision dice.
It would theoretically be "nice" to simplify the wiring and everything changing over to a single-core system, but dice don't play nice.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »

4x to 6x, so pretty good. Also it would only be one die to try. Like I said, later, once the fires are blazing less merrily.

As for now: Do we want to roll one good tactic at advantage, or do we want to try for two related tactics?

EDIT Remember, combat this turn!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:46 pm »

Can I just go ahead and say something? Yes? Ok.
Well it's about darn time!
6, 5, 5.
Wow.
Who wants to bet if we hadn't forced a 6 it would have been a 1?
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 10, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »

Technically, it's 5 and 3. We threw a lot of bonusses at this.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 10, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »

Don't be a Debbie Downer.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:19 pm »

But the bonuses paid off!
Momentary celebration!

Now back to downtrodden cynicism.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 10, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »

Right, since we're at the Revision Phase, I'll start off with the latest version of Cautious Advance, of course if any of you guys have any ideas feel free to post them! The best write-ups come from the victors of Trial by Votebox, I say. Or just post random yet semi-serious ideas and I might make a write-up out of them when I inevitably get bored.

Tactic: Cautious Advance
Kasgyre's cowardly tactics are designed primarily to pull us away from our fortifications, and to breach our defenses they need to throw a short ranged grenade at them, so the answer is obvious: We bring our defenses with us!

With this tactic, our soldiers will advance at a very slow, careful pace, letting any movable defenses take point; BLOCK teams will construct simple fortifications that can be reasonably moved by 2 marines for at least short distances by carrying or 'walking' the fortifications forward (By walk, I mean lean it so only one corner is on the ground and rotate the thing, set it down, lean it on another corner, rotate, repeat), and having a MOVE-PLACE or similar weapon close at hand behind them. Soldiers on barricade duty will be rotated frequently. With the slow speed of the advance, Anti-Flanking squads should be able to maintain a steady fortification of any flanks. In addition, soldiers will be absolutely forbidden to chase down fleeing enemies, and stay behind the defensive line.

Between having fortifications on point, and a PLACE close by; our troops should be ready to fend off and weather any ambushes, and obliterate any concentrated push that may fall upon them.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 10, 2017, 08:46:11 pm »

Personally, dragging BLOCKs seems... Not very useful. They are only wood. Change it to just a cautious advance, with setting up BLOCKs whenever they need to pause for a bit and I would like it better.

Actually, I have a better idea:

Quote from: Assault PLACEs
The mighty power of the MOVE PLACE cannot be matched by Kasgyre's puny grenades and other weapons, to this end we must leverage our strengths to maximum effect.

During the advance PLACE cannons take point, and at least one PLACE is reserved to defend each flank. BLOCK teams bring up the rear guard, while the remaining troops fill the gaps between the cannons. All troops move as a united formation, but care is taken not to bunch up in a single group so that they cannot be wiped out by a single grenade.

Care is taken to use cover at every opportunity, whether natural, or quickly thrown up by the BLOCK teams. If possible, infantry advances in "waves", with half keeping watch for the other half during each advance.

All troops have strict orders to not chase fleeing enemies too closely lest they run into ambushes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:48:44 am by milo christiansen »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:38 pm »

As Ebbor, brought to my attention in the thread, it is incorrect that the new core should be graded against the itshana augmented small cores. Instead, the new mediums should be 6.75 times stronger than your gen 1 crystals.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 187