Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159721 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1785 on: September 09, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »

Except there was quite a bit of talk about doing a minor revision of some kind to it this turn, and it would need to be finished for that.

Also, I really hate excesive procrastination after the prototype is out. The only reason I'm not pushing to finish the mining project is... Actually, why am I not pushing to finish it? We should do that soon.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: September 09, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »

Probably because we need Ore, and hence can't afford to spend it on the mining project.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 09, 2017, 01:50:20 pm »

It takes 6 turns to recoup the ore cost of the project, roughly, plus for every team we produce, it must be operational for 5 years before it pays back itself.
Just talking about the ore cost, mind you. not total cost.
we need to cheapen it, or make it more effective.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 09, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »

Cheapening won't have anything to do with progress costs, so no point delaying for that. We should probably wait till TC is ours (or at least less of an emergency) before we worry about progress too much though...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:34 pm »

It is now the revision phase. You have 5 dice left to spend.

Spire Wreth's production stands at
13/y Crystal, 46/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 17/85 banked
19/y Wood, 61/95 banked
10/y Silk, 45/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:23:25 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: September 10, 2017, 01:10:03 am »

Revision proposals.

Scorched Earth

Clad in clanging bronze and boisterous with cheers, a Kasgyrian force is easily heard but harder to deter. Rather than give them a solid target to surround and attack from multiple sides, our forces now set up their defenses in a much more temporary manner.

PLACE tend to be used as the centerpiece of these defenses, overseeing enemy approaches. Upon sight of the first enemy, a PLACE blast rapidly annihilates them, before we retreat further. Pursuing their normal tactics, the enemy will likely attempt a flanking maneuver upon this now vacant position. With our forces placed further back, they will emerge only to another PLACE blast.

The tactic thus focuses primarily on a series of tactical retreats, bloodying the enemy but giving them  no time to flank our positions. PLACE's unique area denial and mobility should be useful here

Comet Pattern (Combo Pack)

3 Skyskiff Hull
6 ISLAC's
3 VS ISCORE's
3 VS ISLIFT
12 IS Trims
6 Webs

Cost : 378.74
Production : 3 Skiffs Every 2 Turns
Total production :  6 Skyskiffs

Improve Small Docks production An infusion of wood and webbing should allow for a great increase in production. With wood we can expand the gantries upon which the ships are build dramatically, with a surplus of webbing we can attempt to streamline production, improve crystal facilities, and more. Both supplies also allow us to serialize production, keeping a reserve of parts and ensuring that the facilities can remain operational and do not have to wait on supplies.

Reaper A variant on the Boom and zoom tactic, the Reaper is optimized for use with the Dragun.  It instructs the captain to attack the largest vessel with his Draguns, and attempt to bring the gun to bear on a vulnerable part of the vessel. Broadsides are still used as usual, especially when the Dragun is not yet reloaded. In order to simplify the latter, the attack runs are lengthened somewhat. Rather than turning immediately after passing by an enemy, the ship continues in a straight line for a few moments after leaving enemy firing range, giving the gunners a bit of respite and allowing the ship more room to set up the next attack run.

Switched Fuses This fuse assembly consists of a switch and several normal fuses. At any time, one of these fuses is connected into the grid. Using the switch, engineers can rapidly swap between active fuses, giving them time to replace the other fuses at their leisure. As an added benefit, the switch can also be used to rapidly shift power, allowing the captain to order certain weapons, trims or other systems depowered to mitigate the effects of webbing failure.

Quote from: Votebox
Scorched Earth : [1] 10ebbor10
Comet Pattern : [1] 10ebbor10
Improve Small Docks : [1] 10ebbor10
       - Spend 20 Wood and 20 Silk [1] 10ebbor10
Reaper : [1] 10ebbor10
Switched fuses [1] 10ebbor10
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:48:33 am by 10ebbor10 »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: September 10, 2017, 05:13:51 am »

-Roll at advantage : [1] Jilladilla
Comet Pattern : [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
Improve Small Docks : [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
       - Spend 20 Wood and 20 Silk [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
Reaper : [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla

Only problem I see with Switched fuses is that they wouldn't exactly help webbing deprivation, remember that only one of the Windrider's two cores is actually hooked up to the lift crystals, and the lift crystals are the only thing said core powers. Also, we'd need to bring the Mongoose back for refits for her to take advantage of it.
In addition, I'd also throw some ore and crystal at the docks too, but we are kind of always in a bind for that.

And finally, my thoughts on rolling at advantage for Scorched Earth: If this goes well, it will likely be our go to fallback plan, and likely one that we can set marines defending a fully claimed spire to by default (Yes, we would basically ensure that they will land if their transport makes it, but a surprise composition/tactics/how many transports did you send?! wouldn't hammer our defenders badly).
Also our troops currently in the field kind of depend on this tactic to at least go acceptably well.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: September 10, 2017, 06:33:11 am »

Comet Pattern (Combo Pack)
Improve Small Docks production
Problem: If we get both and the latter rolls well, we're going to see some inefficiency at the docks.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: September 10, 2017, 06:42:51 am »

I believe it is meant more as a backup in case the Comet Pattern rolls poorly, to make up for any inefficiency gained by making the switch, and help ensure that the predicted build rate and max capacity stay within the expected margins. If both go well? We might have a slightly better stats on the production line than intended.

Glory to United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: September 10, 2017, 06:45:02 am »

Plus, better production line may still boost the cap. And will be useful in the future. It is potentially inefficient, yes, but in no way a waste.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: September 10, 2017, 06:52:29 am »

Well,

If both are succesfull, there should be enough margin to increase the max amounts of Skiffs to 9.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: September 10, 2017, 07:04:24 am »

Well,

If both are succesfull, there should be enough margin to increase the max amounts of Skiffs to 9.

We'd have to boost the capacity of the line by about 13.6% for that (Would need 1136.22 capacity, we have 1007ish at the moment), assuming there's no loss from the switch-over. I wouldn't put money on it, but it may be a pipe dream, as in the pray for mutant snake eyes again type thing.

Still, insurance that the line will perform within the expected parameters with a slight chance of it overachieving? Worth it I'd say. And like Andrea said, it'd likely help out if we ever decide to change the line over to something else.

Draignean, the ship/infantry spoiler is still derped (it looks like you forgot the [ /spoiler ] to finish off the ships spoiler), and you haven't listed the 2 newly built skiffs at Wreth either

Oh right, found a descrepancy with our crystal count:

The before our last production phase we had 38c 11o 73w 38s, we spent 5c 11o 31w 3s, gained from income 13c 17o 19w 10s, if we do the math:
  38c 11o 73w 38s
-   5c 11o 31w   3s
+13c 17o 19w 10s
  46c 17o 61w 45s

I back tracked a bit, back to when we built the Mongoose, and everything checked out ok.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:35:24 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: September 10, 2017, 12:32:33 pm »

Good catch on the crystal count. Fever is frying my brain right now, and it looks like I got off a diagonal when keying your numbers back in.

Special Note

I talked to Milo about this, but I made a mistake in running your update. I had thought the vote was 3:1 in favor of holding all dice, when it was 3:0 in favor of no design, and 1:1 over whether to push the Dragun through or note. That in mind, this one time, you may continue to vote on whether or not you want to spend 0 or 1 dice on the Dragun.

Answering questions my mind glossed over before.

Alright, Questions for Draignean Time!
-Can an Incendiary Skiff hull be built from scratch? Would it cost the same as a normal skiff hull?
Hmm. Yes. You can knock off two of the wood, since you still need to do a lot of structural reinforcement.
-We know we shot down one of their 8 cannon Vipers, but was the Viper that got its tail blown off the remaining one with 8 cannons or the weaker 6 cannon one?
The Viper with the Damaged Tail was the Six gun viper
-We saw a Viper's core crystal detonate, was the blast comparable to a small core crystal or stronger than one?
Stronger
-If we use Itshana Select crystals on a production line, does the discount apply even if the product costs less than 10 ore? (Do they do the crystals in bulk, basically.)
No, I don't think so, though I should probably look at this more when my mind is in better shape.
-Did the crew of the Mongoose push the trims a little too close for comfort using the revised Boom and Zoom tactic?
Define close for comfort? The main issue is that is you were pushing your acceleration too far for people to do their jobs effectively.
-Not a question; but you derped the infantry spoiler, it's inside the ship spoiler (Looks like you forgot the /spoiler?), and you forgot to list the 2 newly built skiffs too.
Yeah, I got a bit kill crazy. Took out the /spoiler along with the skiffs.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: September 10, 2017, 12:47:24 pm »

Good catch on the crystal count. Fever is frying my brain right now, and it looks like I got off a diagonal when keying your numbers back in.

Thank you for the question answering/other things Draignean.

Take your time to recover, we can wait a few days. Right guys?

Either way, appending the project progress vote to the votebox, please be sure that your votes don't tally up to more than 5 dice spent.
0 or 1 die on finishing the Dragun?
1 die: (1) Milo
0 dice: (1) Jilladilla

-Roll at advantage : [1] Jilladilla
Comet Pattern : [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
Improve Small Docks : [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
       - Spend 20 Wood and 20 Silk [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla
Reaper : [2] 10ebbor10, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!