Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159560 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1125 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:42 am »

What if we just shove a skiff with unstable crystals through it?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:52 am »

Because we have gunpowder and gunpowder is less expensive?

Barring further changes and discussion:

Use 1 Time die, 1 Cost die, and 3 Initial Progress dice on the Windrider.
Quote from: Votes
New Projects
Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice): (1) Madman
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (1) Madman
1 Die:

2 dice on the PLACE gives us an average chance of finishing it. Five dice on the Windrider might get us a prototype this turn, which would be incredible.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:24:36 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 03, 2017, 12:28:06 pm »

New Projects
Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice, 3 progress): (2) Madman, Milo
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (2) Madman, Milo
1 Die:
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 03, 2017, 12:31:15 pm »

New Projects
Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice (2 extra Initial Progress dice)): (3) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (2) Madman, Milo
1 Die:
0 Dice: (1) NUKE9.13
Fine.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 03, 2017, 12:34:28 pm »

New Projects
Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice: 1 Time, 3 Progress, 1 Cost): (4) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (3) Madman, Milo, Jilladilla
1 Die:
Added link for sake of Draignean.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 03, 2017, 12:44:45 pm »

New Projects
Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice: 1 Time, 3 Progress, 1 Cost): (4) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
1 Die:

G.W.O.T.A: (1) Tack
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 03, 2017, 12:57:48 pm »

Why do we even want to finish PLACE? It's not exactly useful yet.

I'd like to keep it in prototype phase for at least 1 revision, to do something about it's horific cost.

New Projects

Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice: 1 Time, 3 Progress, 1 Cost): (5) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
1 Die:
0 Dice: (2) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10

Also, what is GWOTA.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 03, 2017, 01:01:33 pm »

New Projects

Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice: 1 Time, 3 Progress, 1 Cost): (5) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (2) Milo, Jilladilla
1 Die:
0 Dice: (3) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Madman

After suddenly remembering our glorious Wrethan luck, I'm going to save those two dice for Windrider revisions.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 03, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »

New Projects

No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (2) Milo, Jilladilla
1 Die:
0 Dice: (4) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Madman, Tack

Agreed.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 03, 2017, 01:14:20 pm »

I'm ok with 0 dice on PLACE this turn, but I'm too lazy to remove my vote...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 03, 2017, 01:17:38 pm »

New Projects

Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice: 1 Time, 3 Progress, 1 Cost): (5) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, ebbor? (You incremented the vote number but didn't add your name)
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (0)
1 Die:  (1) Jilladilla
0 Dice: (5) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Madman, Tack, milo
I feel a little contrary right now. It may be the sleep deprivation talking though.
(Also moved Milo's vote.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 03, 2017, 03:23:07 pm »

New Projects

Windrider-class Corvette (5 Dice: 1 Time, 3 Progress, 1 Cost): (6) Madman, Milo, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Johiah ebbor? (You incremented the vote number but didn't add your name)
No New Project:

Project Maintenance
PLACE:
2 Dice: (0)
1 Die:  (1) Jilladilla
0 Dice: (6) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Madman, Tack, milo, Johiah
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 04, 2017, 11:06:38 am »

Windrider Corvette
[Time: 6 Progress: 2+3+3 Cost: 2]

The new 'Windrider' project progresses much more swiftly than the original Cloudrunner, though explanations for this vary. Accountants spin a tale of how the engineers have finally been scared into submitting for their entirely sensible regulations and have actually taken the time to fill out their paperwork, while engineers explain that they finally told the accountants to cram their paperwork someplace sunless and resorting to begging, bartering for, and stealing the materials they need and then just filing after-purchase expense reports.

It's a costly, though initially effective, way of doing business.

Windrider Corvette: 8/16 | 6 wood + 3 Ore | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 3 Cost: 6  Bugs: 1]

It rings a lot of warning bells when the engineers claim that the new Windrider is 'almost as cheap' as the failed Cloudrunner, still, they are able assuage that a bit with the actual reveal of  the new vessel.

Unlike the Cloudrunner, she's a competent entry, and makes a striking impression with her armored skin and sleek hull. She's not just a pretty face either, and is capable of being brought up to an impressive speed using Select trim crystals networked onto her dedicated power core. Turning is good, though it's the beginning of where there are minor issues in the engineer's report. While she certainly looks impressive, she also has lot of inertia during turns due to the weight of the copper skin and the increased hardware needed to run her dual core configuration. In fact, she's fastest going up and down, where the lift crystal and trim crystals can pitch in together to produce rapid changes in altitude.

Her gun coverage is, for the most part, excellent, with blind spots only directly below, directly above, and in a diminishing triangle immediately behind. The main issue with her gunnery is the manual movement of the cannons. While putting them on swivels has been down for a long time, skiff captains typically lock the cannons in place and then maneuver in order to aim. This approach gets around the issue of having a gunner wrestling with an eight-hundred pound bronze cannon that is resisting the inertial changes of a maneuvering vessel. As it stands, independently aiming with the cannons is only capable during low-intensity maneuvers, and even then they're slow to adjust and difficult to manage. The broadside cannons are also slightly cramped, and up-gunning them later might be difficult due to limitations of the original design.

The Windrider's power system is where the more critical problems begin to surface. The brass whole-heartedly endorses the idea of redundant systems and/or dedicated cores, but the implementation could be... improved. The engineering area is cramped, and will be difficult to increase the size of the crystals used without a significant refit. The idea of creating an internal webbing structure is interesting, but swiftly brings the local aetheric energy down to levels too low to be of use. Thus the internal webbing is reduced in weight and kept on as an emergency system, only to be connected as an auxiliary power boost in the event of catastrophic damage to the primary web.  This brings us to the matter of the primary web. The Windrider has a big one, a very big one, and one that exhibits very similar issues to the one used in the Cloudrunner. Specifically, it can only be fit to a Select Core, otherwise it causes rapid overloads and very expensive explosions. Her actual circuitry routing power is similarly inadequate to the task of compensating for the Itshana core's increased output, and catches fire or short circuits with frightening regularity, making cannon banks or trim crystals go useless and dead until the issue is fixed and the fires extinguished.  Furthermore, though the cause is unknown, her weapons circuits will occasionally run a very high intensity power spike into a cannon's weapons crystal when fired, causing an immediate overload that destroys the cannon, the gunner, and anything in the immediate vicinity in a ball of light and a spray of molten bronze. It's an event that happens approximately 1% of the time, which still much too often.

As a final note, and one the engineers want to point out is a limitation of the current technical understanding of shroud interactions, the second core crystal cannot raise a shroud immediately after the first one buckles. If the first shroud buckles fully, it appears to leave behind some kind of disruption that prevents a new shroud from being raised in the same location. It disappears after approximately ten seconds, but ten seconds can be a very long time in a combat situation. Disengaging a damaged  (but not buckled) shroud and then reengaging a fresh one can still be managed without issue.

There's a solid ship in there, but she's got a few kinks to work out.

Projected Cost: Hull Cost: 9 wood, 5 ore

Windrider Corvette 9 wood, 5 ore for one.
The Windrider is the spiritual successor to the Cloudrunner, which is the last official reference to the Cloudrunner project that remains in public records. She's roughly three times the length of a skiff, sports a lightly armored hull, and redundant power systems. As a corvette she's readily maneuverable, but the weight of her armor and the additional infrastucture needed to run her dual core configurations makes her a bit more heavy than originally intended.

She's fast, durable vessel with excellent coverage on her ten guns- and efficient production practices make her hull easy to produce. She's just a bit pricy to outfit, and requires select crystals in order to function properly.

She has no usable cargo capacity.
Armor
Light Copper skin (Built-in)
Mounting for 2 Armor Sections
Armament
10 light cannon mounts. four on each broadside and two bow guns.
Requires:
2 Core Crystal (Must be Select Small, can fit up to Small)
2 Lift Crystals (Must be Small, can fit up to Small)
4-16 Trim Crystals  [4/8/16  Poor/avg/excellent maneuvering]
8 reams of webbing

It is now the revision phase. You have three dice left to spend.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 04, 2017, 11:29:48 am »

.../flip table
Were we not elligble for a +1 or two due to our prior experience?
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 04, 2017, 11:36:52 am »

.../flip table
Were we not elligble for a +1 or two due to our prior experience?

1. I'm stingy as fuck with my +1s. I did consider it for efficacy.
2. You didn't do any bugfixes with the original, so there's no eligibility in the bugs column.
3. There are clear and substantial improvements over the original design. If it was the same design again, sure, I'd throw you a bone to efficacy.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 187