Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150413 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2280 on: April 27, 2018, 07:38:46 pm »

Quote from: Votes (5 dice)
[1] 2 dice to AIM and hold 3: Kashyyk
[4] Spend it all save one in the revision: Wizgrot, Jerick, helmacon, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:31 pm »

This means save 5, right?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 28, 2018, 07:10:26 am »

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 28, 2018, 07:45:52 am »

That really didn't read like that

[4] Hold 5: Wizgrot, Jerick, helmacon, Rockeater

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 28, 2018, 12:10:30 pm »

[5] Hold 5: Wizgrot, Jerick, helmacon, Rockeater, NAV

Quote from: Revision: Cassius Pattern Field Cannon
It is clear from our many years of fighting and losing ground to Wreth that portable cannons rule that battlefield. We have everything we need to revise one, just have to slap all the pieces together.

Start with a basic kettlegun.
Attach a dingy core crystal to power it.
Attach some silk collect aether.
Put it on a small wooden cart with two wheels.

There, we have a basic portable aether cannon.

If we can convert them from our existing stock of surplus kettleguns, that would be a very good logistics bonus.

If the dingy core retains its ability to produce a weak shroud, that would help a lot against their aether cannons.

It would also be a nice bonus if we can attach a modified bronzewood shield to protect the operators.

Estimated cost: 2 crystal, 1 ore, 1 wood, 1 silk to build from scratch.
1 crystal, 1 wood, 1 silk to convert from existing kettlegun.
+1 wood to attach a bronzewood shield.
I am not suggesting this revision for this turn. Just wanted to get it written down for the future. We should revise portable aether cannons as soon as we can afford to make them. We should definitely spend two dice to make sure it works because its such an important revision.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 28, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »

I am writing down the revisions that I actually think we should do this turn.

Quote from: Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization
Blackstone needs defenders, and we do not have the luxury of shipping in well trained marines. Recruit every able-bodied and willing adult, put whatever passes for a weapon in their hands, and tell them to fight for the Queen and Princess and Kasgyre!

The militia should act in support of and coordinate with whatever marines are present. Any trained marines present should lead the milita and give them a bare minimum of training.

Quote from: Guerrilla Tactics
We don't stand a chance in hell of winning a fair fight anymore. To stand a chance and make a difference, we need to abandon such concepts as battle lines or holding ground.

Spires are big. Blackstone is big for Wreth's force to fully patrol, we can slip away above, below, or behind Wreth's lines. Operate in independent cells attacking unexpectedly from the shadows. Focus on assassinating leaders, sabotaging food, ammo, other supplies. Wearing them down and weakening them for when when real reinforcements arrive.

Quote from: Makeshift Weapon Crafting
We can no longer afford to equip our marines with more than their basic slings and leather helmets. We definitely cannot afford to equip the loyal militia. That does not mean they have to go unarmed.

Appropriate pieces of wood can be carved into bows, or even crossbows in a poor imitation of our Witch-Hunters.
Knives and other sharp objects can be tied to sticks to form spears, for throwing or for stabbing with.
Many tools can be modified into more effective weapons. Shovels sharpened, scythes straightened, etc.
Almost anything can be used as a club, but if you carve a proper handle or form one of wrapped cloth, and attach some nails or studs to the head it becomes a deadly mace.
Planks of wood can be nailed together into shields, good for blocking the poisoned bolts Wreth still uses.
Strips of cloth or cord can be used to make slings for throwing rocks.
A larger sling on the end of a stick is a staff sling, it can throw larger rocks further, though probably limited in use to the largest caverns due to its high arc.
A glass bottle can be filled with spirits, lamp oil, or any other flammable liquid to make a firebomb.

Being our largest ore-producing colony, Blackstone should have a lot of picks, hammers, and other mining and forging tools ready for use as weapons.

With these weapons we can equip our marines and our militia to defend Blackstone.

Quote from: Camouflaged Uniforms
Our current uniforms are glorious. The polished bronze, brightly dyed cloth, and gleaming medals strike an imposing image. But that glorious appearance doesn't help them sneak, survive, or geth the drop on Wreth's marines.

We mast do to our uniforms what we did to our ships and camouflage them. The cloth should be died drab colours (browns, greys, tans, and greens) depending on what terrain the marines are being send to. Ideally they should be died in strange multicoloured patterns that help break up the outline.

Bronze armour, mobile covers, tower shields, witch-hunters, pistols, grenades, anything that can be painted in drab colours should be. For the pistols, armour, and mobile covers it will probably be a trade off between better stealth and radiating more heat.

Medals should be worn hidden on the inside of the uniform, close to your heart.

This goes against the fashion and aesthetic sense of any true Kasgyrite, but it will give us an edge we need.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:29:41 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 30, 2018, 01:21:35 pm »

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
12(+12)/y Crystal, 73/125 Banked
12(+2)/y Ore, 54/95 banked
17/y Wood, 64/95 banked
10/y Silk, 49/55 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 5 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:26:55 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:21 pm »

Ok a thought occurred to me a while back and I shared it on discord; if we can get a 30% increase in the medium docks we get another viper a turn. I think that sounds like something that is revision tier. Also revisions are more potent prior to a project being finished because they only cause diminishing returns after it's been finished. So with that in mind.
Quote from: Medium Docks Improvements
We have never before operated a piece of infrastructure as grand as the medium docks. It is a massive step up in terms of size and in terms of the resources that must be procured and brought to it. There is much we could do to improve the ancillary infrastructure that supports the medium docks. As it is there may be many bottlenecks and kinks we can avoid with some improvements. New methods to bring supplies quickly and efficiently to the docks are needed. New attitudes towards staffing and staff rotation are needed to improve worker speed and effectiveness. The structure of the medium docks is near perfect so let us make sure everything that the medium docks rely on are also perfect. Staff, transport and many more improvements can be made.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 30, 2018, 04:35:35 pm »

I think these four revisions will help us at Blackstone. They could use better names and better fluff, I am open to suggestions or full rewrites, or other ideas that will help us more at Blackstone.
I am writing down the revisions that I actually think we should do this turn.

Quote from: Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization
Blackstone needs defenders, and we do not have the luxury of shipping in well trained marines. Recruit every able-bodied and willing adult, put whatever passes for a weapon in their hands, and tell them to fight for the Queen and Princess and Kasgyre!

The militia should act in support of and coordinate with whatever marines are present. Any trained marines present should lead the milita and give them a bare minimum of training.

Quote from: Guerrilla Tactics
We don't stand a chance in hell of winning a fair fight anymore. To stand a chance and make a difference, we need to abandon such concepts as battle lines or holding ground.

Spires are big. Blackstone is big for Wreth's force to fully patrol, we can slip away above, below, or behind Wreth's lines. Operate in independent cells attacking unexpectedly from the shadows. Focus on assassinating leaders, sabotaging food, ammo, other supplies. Wearing them down and weakening them for when when real reinforcements arrive.

Quote from: Makeshift Weapon Crafting
We can no longer afford to equip our marines with more than their basic slings and leather helmets. We definitely cannot afford to equip the loyal militia. That does not mean they have to go unarmed.

Appropriate pieces of wood can be carved into bows, or even crossbows in a poor imitation of our Witch-Hunters.
Knives and other sharp objects can be tied to sticks to form spears, for throwing or for stabbing with.
Many tools can be modified into more effective weapons. Shovels sharpened, scythes straightened, etc.
Almost anything can be used as a club, but if you carve a proper handle or form one of wrapped cloth, and attach some nails or studs to the head it becomes a deadly mace.
Planks of wood can be nailed together into shields, good for blocking the poisoned bolts Wreth still uses.
Strips of cloth or cord can be used to make slings for throwing rocks or bombs.
A larger sling on the end of a stick is a staff sling, it can throw larger rocks or bombs further, though probably limited in use to the largest caverns due to its high arc.
A glass bottle can be filled with spirits, lamp oil, or any other flammable liquid to make a firebomb.

Being our largest ore-producing colony, Blackstone should have a lot of picks, hammers, and other mining and forging tools ready for use as weapons.

With these weapons we can equip our marines and our militia to defend Blackstone.

Quote from: Camouflaged Uniforms
Our current uniforms are glorious. The polished bronze, brightly dyed cloth, and gleaming medals strike an imposing image. But that glorious appearance doesn't help them sneak, survive, or geth the drop on Wreth's marines.

We mast do to our uniforms what we did to our ships and camouflage them. The cloth should be died drab colours (browns, greys, tans, and greens) depending on what terrain the marines are being send to. Ideally they should be died in strange multicoloured patterns that help break up the outline.

Bronze armour, mobile covers, tower shields, witch-hunters, pistols, grenades, anything that can be painted in drab colours should be. For the pistols, armour, and mobile covers it will probably be a trade off between better stealth and radiating more heat.

Medals should be worn hidden on the inside of the uniform, close to your heart.

This goes against the fashion and aesthetic sense of any true Kasgyrite, but it will give us an edge we need.

I am not sure if a full 30% increase in medium dock efficiency is reasonable for a revision. My intuition says no...
One problem I have is that this will only help if we get a very good roll and make the 30% increase. Any smaller increase will do nothing for us. Most revisions help us at least a bit on a 2 or 3.
The other problem I have is that we are trying to improve something that is already perfect instead of revising something that needs fixing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:39:46 pm by NAV »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:36 am »

I am not sure if a full 30% increase in medium dock efficiency is reasonable for a revision. My intuition says no...
One problem I have is that this will only help if we get a very good roll and make the 30% increase. Any smaller increase will do nothing for us. Most revisions help us at least a bit on a 2 or 3.
The other problem I have is that we are trying to improve something that is already perfect instead of revising something that needs fixing.
I have to disagree here first a 30% increase would be perfectly fine as a revision on the skyskiff production line (what is that things production again? 100?). It only seems unreasonable here because the base production of the medium docks is incredible. At that incredible base production is a big reason why I want to hit it with a revision to see how much we can crank it up. Second even if we don't get much we'll still be able to try to add further improvements later. But this is the last chance to add anything to it without penalty. After this turn we get diminishing returns on every revision we try to add to it. Third a six in efficiency does not mean it's perfect, it means it's revolutionary. It's kinda the whole point of the game that we will always be able to improve.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 01, 2018, 11:29:17 am »

Quote from: Revision Votes (5 dice)
Medium Docks Improvements: ()
Queen's Loyal Militia recruitment and organization: (1) NAV
Guerrilla Tactics: (1) NAV
Makeshift Weapon Crafting: (1) NAV
Camouflaged Uniforms: (1) NAV

Save 1 die: (1) NAV

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 01, 2018, 02:08:51 pm »

hey just a couple ideas i want to post, these ideas are for designs later on soo,
Anyway first up is mechs/powered armor, made using trim crystals and a core to power it/provide a shroud, the main assets of it would be that it could fly, have incredible strength and a shroud, and be usable just about anywhere. The size I am thinking these would be is larger than a person but small enough that they can still fit in the cooridors of the spire, my other ideas are, artificial spirestone, and making the jump to battlecruisers.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 01, 2018, 02:50:31 pm »

hey just a couple ideas i want to post, these ideas are for designs later on soo,
Anyway first up is mechs/powered armor, made using trim crystals and a core to power it/provide a shroud, the main assets of it would be that it could fly, have incredible strength and a shroud, and be usable just about anywhere. The size I am thinking these would be is larger than a person but small enough that they can still fit in the cooridors of the spire, my other ideas are, artificial spirestone, and making the jump to battlecruisers.
About power armour: The trim crystals could move it. The core crystals could power it. What we lack is any sort of computer to control its movements. We also lack the ore to make it viable, our bronze infantry armour is already too expensive.

However we can make similar things more practically. We can attach trim crystals to heavy weapons to make them wieldable by the average soldier. We can definitely make a crystal hover pack that also generates a personal shroud.

About Artificial Spirestone: We have plans to try to harvest spiresone from the ruins of Unfinished, then study it, and use the shards to make things. Maybe with enough research artificial is possible? End-game level material if it is.

About Battlecruiser: Hell yeah! I am currently torn if our next bigger ship should be a battlecruiser or an aircraft carrier. Either way, the Battlebarge will make an excellent hull to convert into the role. Either replace its TC with lots of guns and armour for a battlecruiser, or with fighter aircraft hangars for a carrier.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 01, 2018, 02:50:57 pm »

I don't much like shooting down people's ideas but sadly I must say no on all of that.
First up while powered armour might be something we one day implement what you describe would cost an obscene amount of crystal and ore without delivering much damage to the enemy. It would be difficult to develop because we've never made anything even remotely similar, that means lots of bugs extra expense etc. Though even future efforts at powered armour are looking doubtful as enemy firepower will easily melt through any attempt at armour with our current tech. Thicker armour will not stand against enemy field guns we need a different approch. Tactics and clever means of taking out those field guns are what we need. Something that can fly would require a lift crystal and a core crystal both of those are are pretty large even in their smallest incarnations yet the ability to fly would offer no advantage in a spire and would expose it to enemy ships outside of a spire. The mobile shrouds we have take an entire cart to move them around and the dinghies that the Very Small Core crystals support can carry seven people. What you're proposing would be large, awkward, slow and offer no benefits that the mobile shroud does not. Add in the fact that inside the spire is rather aether starved compared to outside and it's unlikely there would not be enough aether to sustain it and it looks like a waste of resources.

Second artificial spire stone. We don't have anything close to the technology of the builders everything about them and spirestone itself is a mystery to us. We know nothing about it what so ever. We cannot not even damage it. We've never before even managed to get a single loose chunk to study. (Though there is talk of picking up some of the pieces from the ruins of the Unfinished) To put it another way we have no hope whatsoever of replicating the supernatural wonder material used by godlike beings.

Finally the jump to battlecruisers. I think we should jump to destroyers before we try and go that far. We also need a lot of ground work in the form of better core and lift crystals if we want to go for the really big ships. (It's well past time for us to make a medium lift though, that'll probably be the next design)

I like the suggestions but they're rather ambitious and considerably past being practical. However if you have any ideas as to how to destroy the enemy field guns that would be reasonable for us to implement I'd love to hear them. They seem to have a lot of the bloody things these days...

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 01, 2018, 03:00:26 pm »

The dingy core is about the size a housecat, that is very reasonable backpack size. The trim crystals required to lift a person are tiny, and we do have easy access to tony trim crystals because of our trim web and trim powered turret research. A hoverpack would be an easy low hanging fruit design.

Are you joking about flight not being useful in the spires? Vertical mobility is more important there than anywhere in real life. A hover pack would let marines trivially go up or down levels of the spire, much faster than Wreth. Give our soldiers the ability to ambush and flank from above or below, and escape to above or below.

Even the cost would be mostly crystal, by far our most abundant resource.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:08:10 pm by NAV »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 178