Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150501 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2130 on: April 06, 2018, 01:20:27 pm »

Draig, could we theoretically "sell design dice for resources as s revision action? Fluff-wise, we'd be renting out R&D assets to the private sector or something like that.

No. Outside of very special circumstances, dice and resources are separate and never the twain shall meet. I understand the fluff, and you could probably make a design/revision to gain resources over time in this manner- but it wouldn't be the nice one-time lump sum that you want.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 06, 2018, 03:00:50 pm »

Well that's unfortunate.

How about a "resource exchange"? Letting us trade resources. Ideally at a one to one ratio, but I doubt we'll get that.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 06, 2018, 03:02:36 pm »

Well that's unfortunate.

How about a "resource exchange"? Letting us trade resources. Ideally at a one to one ratio, but I doubt we'll get that.

That would be feasible, but you're not going to get the nice 1:1 trades at revision tier.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: April 06, 2018, 04:04:05 pm »

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
13(+12)/y Crystal, 24/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 21/85 banked
19/y Wood, 28/95 banked
10/y Silk, 29/50 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 5 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:04:56 pm by Draignean »
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 07, 2018, 04:04:47 am »

Okay, if we literally spend no resources at all and not lose any resources to enemy action for three turns, we're pretty much guaranteed to complete the Medium docks, and will be outputting 1000 per turn. I can't remember what the formula is to convert that into Resources, but we should be able to churn out at least a Viper a turn. I did a bit of maths, and if we're willing to buy one Natalie per turn at 9c, 8o, 9w, 4s, we will have the resources in five turns. I think that's too long to only be producing Natalies.

Thus these turns we need to BS a way around the no dice to resource conversion rule to reduce that three-turn countdown further. This is made more difficult by Draig reading this thread. But I'm sure we can manage. We is smart peoples.

First off, I think we should design our Viper Production Pattern early, because the second worst thing to happen (after flubbing the production dice) is to roll poorly on the Pattern and have it cost more than one full turn to build.

After that, we should see about ways of selling our supply of hardware for resources. We're sitting on a goldmine of resources that could seriously speed up our schedule if we could just use them. It'll be heart breaking to see the Topaz go to waste, but its' better than losing the war.

If that's not possible (mechanically or emotionally), we should see if we can invest it into spire defences somehow. In the very likely scenario that we see negligible resources from Blackstone, it will take us longer and we will thus need to ensure we can survive that much longer.

Finally, any revisions at all which will allow us to defeat the Wrethi fleet at Blackstone, (or at least delay them for four turns) should be done. An adaption to our blockade running tactic for our supply boats could work here too.

Also, Draig: I've got links to your posts containing the Prototype posts for each of our projects, would you be so kind as to add those links to your projects spoiler? That way we don't have to go hunting through the thread every time someone wants to refer to it.

Viper Production Line
Vertical Envelopment
AIM (Special Project)
Medium Docks

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 07, 2018, 06:04:50 am »

Guys, if you wait jt a second I will release a revision t make a workable suit for the Burning Mountain.

I would also like to point out that local levies and perhaps defense weapons are a priority.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 07, 2018, 06:18:30 am »

Done. I will finish the others soon enough.

Burning Man Suit

In order to make up for the disparity of resoures between our nation and the Wrethians, colonizin the Burning Mountain is essential. I proppose the following piece of equipment in order to allow that.

The BMS is a full body, tripLe layered skinsuit, tightly fitted to the body of the wearer. The inner layer consists of cloth, designed to absorb the sweat of the marine or worker, to prevent wasteful evaporation. Next, a layer of Bronzewood sawings, glued to the coth, should serve as a decent fireproofing. Finally, the suit should be painted white with heat resistant paint in order to deflect as much heat as posible.
The suit features an opening at the crotch and another at the bottom, in order to allow our men to take care of their bodily needs. There suit does no cover the face, which can be covered with a crude gas mask with disposable filters in order to protect he wearer from noxious emissions.

To round up, we have designed an insulated camelback, which has a large container of water and smaller container of a mix of milk, honey and fruit juice, meant to give the wearer the hydrataton and energy it needs to get through a workday.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 07, 2018, 06:37:34 am »

Done. I will finish the others soon enough.

Burning Man Suit

In order to make up for the disparity of resoures between our nation and the Wrethians, colonizin the Burning Mountain is essential. I proppose the following piece of equipment in order to allow that.

The BMS is a full body, tripLe layered skinsuit, tightly fitted to the body of the wearer. The inner layer consists of cloth, designed to absorb the sweat of the marine or worker, to prevent wasteful evaporation. Next, a layer of Bronzewood sawings, glued to the coth, should serve as a decent fireproofing. Finally, the suit should be painted white with heat resistant paint in order to deflect as much heat as posible.
The suit features an opening at the crotch and another at the bottom, in order to allow our men to take care of their bodily needs. There suit does no cover the face, which can be covered with a crude gas mask with disposable filters in order to protect he wearer from noxious emissions.

To round up, we have designed an insulated camelback, which has a large container of water and smaller container of a mix of milk, honey and fruit juice, meant to give the wearer the hydrataton and energy it needs to get through a workday.

This is undoubtedly a full design.

We can do a charcoal filter and maybe Pith helmets with it on a revision. If we are lucky.
It should be enough to let us advance.

We need to bank 2 dice, so we can do 3 revisions this turn.

1 dice to a viper pattern.
1 dice to a Lance cannon upgrade.
and 1 dice to something to help the burned mountain push.

Next turn we can do something with local levies/reserves. They won't be landing at a friendly occupied spire until then anyways.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 07, 2018, 07:14:38 am »

I believe that it would be possible to apply the cooling system of the naval defense gun to the Burning Mountain, in order to extract heat from it and let our marines advance. A fan based system of ventilation. I would argue that we really should raise levies. The sooner they get to prepare baits and strike tactics, the better the defense is organized

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 07, 2018, 07:31:30 am »

We need to bank 2 dice, so we can do 3 revisions this turn.
We actually don't, I was wrong about that. We won't have the resources to put six dice into docks for three turns (not including this one). Now this means if we continue with this we need to stall the Wreth for three turns without using any resources. All designs need resources to invest in so that means revisions. Lots of revisions. We can do five revisions this turn without issue. And in fact I think we should. We're going to have to be very smart with them if we are to last that long. However that is going to put us behind technologically (if we weren't already) We do not have very many good options right now. So my list of suggested revisions this turn is as follows;

1 dice to a viper pattern.
1 dice to a Lance cannon upgrade.
1 dice to something to help the burned mountain push.
1 dice to better blockade running (military transports can transport resources as far as I am aware so we could drop troops and then bring back stuff)
1 dice to reserve forces (I'm not as sure that they won't be landing on Blackstone this turn and implementing stuff on a contested spire will be difficult so we need to get anything that will help the ground done before they land)

Also the Burning man suit is clearly a design rather than a revision. We'll need something smaller.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: April 07, 2018, 09:19:52 am »

A few revision ideas:

Quote from: Kettlegun Radiators
The barrel and body had been reworked to add cooling fins. This should improve heart management when hot, allowing us to sustain a higher rate of fire during long engagements.

Quote from: <Insert Resource> Refinement Techniques
By reviewing and fine-tuning our various <Insert Resource> production processes, we should be able to eke out another couple of resources per turn due to improved efficiency.

Quote from: Night Time Supply Runs
Inspired by Wreth, our supply ship captains wait for opportune moments to escape the blockade, such as night, high mist and extreme weather conditions. In additional, they won't leave from known docks, but instead from obscure locations, such as natural crevices and below the mist line. Liberal abuse of civilian signal flashers should keep captains in touch with spire intelligence.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:09:07 pm by Kashyyk »

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 07, 2018, 10:09:27 am »

Local Levies
Dire times for dire actions. In order to prepare for the local assaults by the Wrethian, local governments shall be permitted to raise any able bodied adults and train them to defend their home, using any weapons they can scrounge or make for themselves in order to delay the inevitable. This levies can be recruited directly in their Spire, but will only be able to learn Bait and Strike tactics and will not, under any circumstances, leave their Home Spire or ride in any ships, as their training will only comprise defending their homes.

-Basically, the Princess allows some kind of military autonomy to the Spires, allowing them to build armies for self defense.

-Weapons will be either outdated or malfunctioning equipment, smuggled, anything they can steal from their enemy or make by themselves.

-Either we recruit marines from the Spire and cannot move them from there once they are raised, or the Spire passively recruits any number of soldiers per turn to defeat the invaders.

-Only trained in a Bait and Strike

-Perform better alongside trained Marines

Maybe we could design an smuggling tactic? To arm them I mean.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:24:40 am by Wizgrot »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:52 am »

IIRC, Draig said that demi-spires would provide resistance to foreign forces in the same way the belt spires do, and the Home Spire provides even greater resistance. So, I think we technically already have levies, we just need to improve them and somehow get those improvements to Blackstone.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 07, 2018, 04:46:09 pm »

Revision votebox. Warn us if something doesn´t fall in the scope of a revision Draig. In order not to waste good rolls, I would suggest one die per revision.
[1]Fanned Lance Cannon:Wizgrot
[1]Viper Pattern:Wizgrot
[1]Local Levies:Wizgrot
[1]Smuggle:Wizgrot

The Fanned Lance cannon

We have expanded our Lance Cannons´crystals, upgrading them up to a quite respectable Medium size. Then, we have fit five of those crystals under a rotational wheel, allowing us to quickly fire them and change to another. The crystals which are not used are cooled by big fans, which displace the extra heat to ventilation ducts. The ventilation duct system can be reversed through redundant ducts, expelling air from the inside of the Spire to the outside, and serving as a kind of ventilation method, something which could be pretty useful in the Burning Mountain. In order to facilitate long range aiming, an spyglass sight has been added.

The Fanned Lance Cannon is supposed to be mounted in fixed positions as a naval defense weapon for colonized or in progress Spires, but it also might be mounted on a ship as a heavy or siege weapon.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:57:17 pm by Wizgrot »

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: April 07, 2018, 04:53:07 pm »

Smuggle

And advanced version of blockade running, developed alongside regulars spared from the noose for their crimes. In order to avoid blockades and patrols by the enemy, we shall use only sparsely traveled routes, camouflage our transports or civilian merchant ships in the clouds and look for holes in the perimeter or patrols. When the operation doesn´t seem feasible, we will flee to try it another day rather than risk open confrontation. With luck, we should drop our cargo before the enemies detect our presence, preferably at nigh time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:57:11 pm by Wizgrot »
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 178