Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150464 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2115 on: April 05, 2018, 09:28:45 pm »

Lets not be stupid now out of fear of being stupid in the future.

NAV, if I was the kind of man who sigged things, I would sig this.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 05, 2018, 09:33:20 pm »

Lets not be stupid now out of fear of being stupid in the future.

NAV, if I was the kind of man who sigged things, I would sig this.
Might I have the sig rights then?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 05, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »

Quote from: Votes magotes
3 Dice: Free Rush on Medium Docks [1]: helmacon
No dice on projects, save all: [1] Doomblade
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:32:44 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 06, 2018, 04:15:53 am »

Well, I'd say we're screwed without building more ships, but I'm not one to fold at the first hurdle.

3 Dice/3 Free Rush on Medium Docks [1]: helmacon
No dice on projects, save all: [2] Doomblade, Kashyyk

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 06, 2018, 05:56:10 am »

I think Draig actually over-estimated Causinae in that fight. It had a 1/2 strength shroud and no copper armour.

We can hold out until we can build the medium docks. That should be a major turning point. No reason to panic and doomsay.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 06, 2018, 07:33:29 am »

Using the credit now is a total waste. Lets wait until we can actually complete the project to use the credit.
3 dice+3 rush gives 0.02% chance of completion.
5 dice+5 rush gives 54%.
6 dice+6 rush gives 90%.

Lets bank until we have 6 dice and enough resources then finish the project in one turn. Instead of spending extra dice and resources to finish it.
It might also be an idea to keep two dice for the revision to make a Viper production pattern. (two dice to ensure we don't get screwed by rng at the worst time).
We'll get 5 more dice next turn so that means we can spend only two on stuff this turn if we are to have 8 next turn. Additionally we can't spend a single piece of our resources. We also need to do what we can to delay the enemy for as long as possible. 2 dice, no resources and we have to delay an army. I suggest we use a revision to improve the cooling of our lances (I believe we have several proposals for that from helmacon and NAV) and a revision to improve blockade running so that it's not basically suicide. We then use the transport at Kasgyr to deliver existing troops to blackstone. We have three equipped squads in the goods stockpile we can use. Ideally I would prefer to leave them as a home defense but if the enemy manages to occupy Kasgyr airspace and blockade our home spire before we get the Medium docks making ships this war is over. If we can provide military resistance on the ground at Blackstone it will likely cause them to linger there to prevent us landing more troops and buy us more time. The improved Lances should help inflict casualties if they move to any of our other Spires.
3 Dice/3 Free Rush on Medium Docks [1]: helmacon
No dice on projects, save all: [3] Doomblade, Kashyyk, Jerick

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 06, 2018, 07:41:10 am »

Revision idea:

Crystal efficiency- currently, our Lance crystal suffers from strong heat collection. If we were to reduce the amount of energy that went to waste heat by fine-tuning the crystal matrix and manufacturing process, we could possibly improve the power of the Lance crystal.

We can spend as many resources this turn as spire kasgyre makes, in my opinion. We really want skiffs to have Lances if possible. Their ships in the field don't have the upgraded cannons yet, so if we push out this turn, we can likely demolish the Blackstone fleet.

My plan: Refit fleet with as many Lance's as possible, arm both vipers and Natalie's, in that order. Clear Blackstone. Hold the line at our spires and send our current transports over to burned mountain. Revision for gasmasks this turn with our dice.

Then, rush docks. Win war.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:33:00 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 06, 2018, 11:37:35 am »

We can spend as many resources this turn as spire kasgyre makes, in my opinion. We really want skiffs to have Lances if possible. Their ships in the field don't have the upgraded cannons yet, so if we push out this turn, we can likely demolish the Blackstone fleet.
We really can't. I was looking into just how much stuff this will take to purchase and here's the results: Google spreadsheet.
Investing 6 dice will be expensive. So expensive I retract what I said earlier about needing to keep 8 dice for next turn. It'll take us three turns (not including the current turn) to gain the resources needed if my math is right. Assuming we don't take a hit in income. Also you seem to misjudge just how badly we are outnumbered here. Two Vipers and a handful of Skiffs isn't going to clear their fleet even with Lances.

If we do major damage to their fleet (which I doubt we will) but lose our forces we are screwed. They will replace those losses easily. They have at least another two Windriders not at Blackstone. More forces might be on their way and if we engage we will lose our ability to keep them out of Kasgyr airspace. WE CANNOT AFFORD ANY LOSES RIGHT NOW. The Lances are untested and while I think they'll be effective in combat I don't share your optimism in regards to them sweeping the enemy fleet.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: April 06, 2018, 12:10:57 pm »

Your spreadsheet should show 7 crystal cost, 2 silk cost - I am aware this makes the situation worse.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: April 06, 2018, 12:20:52 pm »

Your spreadsheet should show 7 crystal cost, 2 silk cost - I am aware this makes the situation worse.
Nope you are confusing Viper docks with medium docks in the project list. Viper docks has been sitting there for some time and should really be disassembled. If we complete the Viper docks they'll give us maybe a tenth of the bp of the medium docks for similar cost. The viper production line is kinda rubbish especially when compared to the medium docks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: April 06, 2018, 12:28:19 pm »

Nope you are confusing Viper docks with medium docks in the project list. Viper docks has been sitting there for some time and should really be disassembled. If we complete the Viper docks they'll give us maybe a tenth of the bp of the medium docks for similar cost. The viper production line is kinda rubbish especially when compared to the medium docks.
Ah, yes. My bad. :O

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 06, 2018, 01:04:08 pm »

Draig, could we theoretically "sell design dice for resources as s revision action? Fluff-wise, we'd be renting out R&D assets to the private sector or something like that.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 06, 2018, 01:07:26 pm »

Draig, could we theoretically "sell design dice for resources as s revision action? Fluff-wise, we'd be renting out R&D assets to the private sector or something like that.
That right there is a fantastic idea!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 06, 2018, 01:08:36 pm »

That right there is a fantastic idea!
I support selling three dice.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 06, 2018, 01:18:53 pm »

Draig just mentioned on discord that there never will be any conversion of dice into resources or resources into dice, sadly.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 178