Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150434 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1980 on: March 21, 2018, 01:46:52 pm »

I am pretty sure they still have to finish this turn at Kasgyre for the refits to happen. The tech being newly developed and refits taking year regardless.

Just keeping hulls up to date only requires you be in friendly territory. Let me update the line of the revision to reflect that. My brain was still thinking your fleet was in neutral territory.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 21, 2018, 02:09:48 pm »

Okay. All our Natalies, Dionysus, Jupiter, and Causinae are fully usable this turn.
Anguis II is usable if we want don't want to evenly redistribute our topaz kettleguns.
Viperidae is usable if we don't want to upgrade its 8 trim webs to topaz.
Booidae is unusable. Still needs construction.

I still think we should keep the fleet together and fully refit, then fully retaliate at TC with the strongest possible fleet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:12:53 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 21, 2018, 03:10:59 pm »

Awesome, that revision is just what we want to keep up with their ships. I'm confident that we'd have a chance this turn, although if we don't push back to TC, I'd want our marines to defend. If they can keep themselves mostly alive, we'll be able to push forward much more effectively next turn with reinforcements.

I'm very much looking forward to lunching armoured battleships, equipped with central targeting systems. Then we release the "Dart" fighters and we have a properly modernised navy.

On a related note, I've been thinking about ship armour and how we are going to need to improve on light copper plating some time soon. Thus, I went and compared a bunch of metals. I'm assuming that Aether blasts only impart heat on the target, rather a percussive force as well, otherwise we'll have to think  about metal toughness also. I've collected the Melting Point and Specific Heat Capacity of various metals, and calculated the "energy to melt" one kg of that metal. As you can see, there are several options better than Copper. I've also included the Heat Transfer coefficient, which is useful for if we attempt to design our armour to transfer the heat to a radiator.

Spoiler: Metal Comparisons (click to show/hide)

tl;dr: If we design airship armour plates of nickel with attached copper radiator fins, our armour will be able to absorb a lot more aether blasts before failing. If we back it with bronze, we then also get a tough armour plate that can resist solid shot as well. Combining this with our topaz cores should create some seriously hard-to-kill ships.

In theory we could use titanium, but I imagine cost would be prohibitive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:40:28 am by Kashyyk »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 21, 2018, 03:37:16 pm »

Draig mentioned at one point that Aether blasts do have some percussive force. It's a bit of both. I'm not sure where it's at though.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 21, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »

We should also consider the density of the metals to optimize armor layering and amount.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »

Never mind, double post
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:06:34 pm by banelord »

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 21, 2018, 03:58:08 pm »

Have we also considered aetheric reactions to certain metals, as it appears to be partly science partly magic. Also the increased cost of ore for extracting these other metals.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 21, 2018, 04:17:40 pm »

As I understood it, the main metal that took issue was ferrous types, but I could be wrong.

On that note, do we even have nickel?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 21, 2018, 04:39:26 pm »

I figure we have access to pretty much any metal, but it may be more expensive to extract and thus have a high ore cost.

And yes, only ferrous metals react badly with aether, the rest are unaffected.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:55 pm »

We have never, not once had a ship damaged through our frontal armour. But when that does happen and our plating becomes insufficient, that is some truly excellent research Kashyyk.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:53 pm »

So I had a crazy and risky idea; Since we know they have moved a large force to TC we know UF must be at most lightly guarded (or maybe they've stripped even basic guards hoping for a decisive battle) I propose we move to UF in force but instead of landing troops we push on to Spire Wreth next turn with the aim of landing forces and obliterating their shipyards. We can use the intervening turn to come up with tactics to support this assault which is aimed at crippling their ship production.
Quote from: Plan Bum Rush
Transports at Kasgyr load up with marines (equipment to be chosen by someone better at balancing the resources than me)
All ships at Kasgyr move to UF
RKNV Causinae and RKNV Booidae strafe infrastructure
Other combat ships at UF use coordinated fire
One Eyed-Will remains at Burned mountain

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 21, 2018, 08:22:20 pm »

So I had a crazy and risky idea; Since we know they have moved a large force to TC we know UF must be at most lightly guarded (or maybe they've stripped even basic guards hoping for a decisive battle) I propose we move to UF in force but instead of landing troops we push on to Spire Wreth next turn with the aim of landing forces and obliterating their shipyards. We can use the intervening turn to come up with tactics to support this assault which is aimed at crippling their ship production.

So I actually made a powerpoint about the best way to go about the above tactic, but now I can't figure out how to share power points. I tried google slides, but it erased half my stuff and all my animations. Currently looking for a better way to share it short of e-mailing it to people. Let me know if you know of a good way to share power points.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 21, 2018, 09:43:13 pm »

My thought would be to screenshot it, save each slide picture and link those.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:46 pm »

The problem again is that the animations will not work that way. I posted it in the discord, since discord has a rather robust file-sharing system.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 22, 2018, 02:50:34 pm »

The problem again is that the animations will not work that way. I posted it in the discord, since discord has a rather robust file-sharing system.

I don't really play this anymore, but-

You made ANIMATIONS for an Arms Race game?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 178