Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150432 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1935 on: March 14, 2018, 04:58:31 pm »

snip
Its not just more marines to fight. Its also a decade or so of equipment improvements that could tip the balance back in their favour, probably extra cannons too.

Jupiter isn't actually very expensive. At least the vast majority of its costs are wood and crystal, our most abundant resources. It costs very little ore. It would hurt a lot less to lose than even a basic viper. It is also our least likely ship to be destroyed.

The skiff odds aren't 2-1. They are likely 6.5-8, or 6.5-10 at worst.

If we are already behind in fleet size, and they gain more resources, we will only fall farther behind. That's not a fighting chance.
We have a fighting chance at winning this battle.

I do admit that neither plan is certain defeat, I still think fighting this battle is more likely to go in our favour.
I also know that if we retreat to improve our fleet we should do it right and make our fleet as optimized as possible.

@helmacon
If you still believe it was the attack that made a skiff go insane and not the extra year spent in the airspace, which I admit is possible, I will change Will's assignment.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:56 pm »

At this point, I suggest leaving a scout  or two behind in the airspace to see what they're up to and retreating. They have probably put more effort into air power than troops, and they've been quiet for too long.

I fear a legit death star type or similar heavy cruiser.

I support backing and performing a refit.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:06 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Operation Mallet Tap [3]: Talion, NAV, BBB
Operation Bug Out []:
Operation Sunset [3]: helmacon, Kashyyk, Doomblade
Operation Bug Out (NAV's revision) []:
Operation Bug Out and Refit [3]:Helmacon, NAV, Doomblade
[/quote]

@helmacon
If you still believe it was the attack that made a skiff go insane and not the extra year spent in the airspace, which I admit is possible, I will change Will's assignment.

The idea is now that you pull your vote from mallet tap, and I pull from sunset, so we have a consensus. I would have swapped them already, but I wanted to be sure we were clear on the trade. You can go ahead and pull my vote when you post to pull your vote as well.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 15, 2018, 08:22:28 am »

Ok, I guess I will break the tie.

Operation Mallet Tap [3]: Talion, NAV, BBB
Operation Bug Out []:
Operation Sunset [4]: helmacon, Kashyyk, Doomblade,Rockeater.
[/quote]

@helmacon

The idea is now that you pull your vote from mallet tap, and I pull from sunset, so we have a consensus. I would have swapped them already, but I wanted to be sure we were clear on the trade. You can go ahead and pull my vote when you post to pull your vote as well.
[/quote]
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:32 am »

Well I don't think I'll convince anyone else to vote for Mallet Tap so sure. Tie broken, once again the Kasgyr fleet retreats.
One-Eyed Will stays put and doesn't strafe.

Operation Mallet Tap [2]: Talion, BBB
Operation Bug Out []:
Operation Sunset [3]: Kashyyk, Doomblade, Rockeater

Fakeedit:
rockeater you didnt break the tie you reinforced it. I was in the middle of editing Refit to appeal to helmacon and changing our votes when you broke the tie.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:31:26 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 15, 2018, 08:33:06 am »

You all are really confusing
Operation Mallet Tap [2]: Talion, BBB
Operation Bug Out []:
Operation Sunset [2]: Kashyyk, Doomblade
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 15, 2018, 08:35:29 am »

*Y'all're

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 15, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »

Three Captains

The fleet takes the silence of the raiding fleet to heart, heading back Spire Kasgyre for upgrades and a brief shore leave for the men.

Inside the Spire

Though the Marines aren't able to provide any clear pictures of the ship activity outside the spire, it's pretty damn clear that the Wrethans at least managed to get a transport or two docked. The enemy has been reinforced by two squads using gunpowder rifles, and more cannons. A fuckton more cannons. Every Wrethan squad now has its own personal cannon, which makes the mobile Shrouds absolutely vital for not being reduced to cinders.

That being said, the additional cannons don't yield much of an additional edge to Wreth. Rotating shrouds is able to keep up with their repeated cannon blasts until they hit the limit where the air between the forces is too damn hot for them to risk firing again without cooking themselves too. At that point, advancement is brought to a crawl, but this actually works mostly to the advantage of the kasgyrites. At any range, Kasgyrite small arms trump their Wrethan counterparts. While the standoffs in such conditions are hellish, they usually end with Wreth giving up another section of their cavern fortifications.

The rifles they brought, however, do present a problem. While it isn't a sure thing, they do penetrate the bronzewood tower shields the majority of the time. At range, the Wrethan rifles create clouds of smoke that both serve to blind them as much as anything else, and Witch-Hunter armed soldiers are more than able to provide accurate counterfire. However, when fired in volleys at approaching shieldwalls, the penetrating bullets frequently injure or kill forward members, creating gaps through which their inferior weapons can deal significant damage. Losses are shuffled between squads, but at the end of the day squads Gamma and Delta lose their shieldbearers and basically run mobile cover duty for the remaining squads.

In the end, the casualties are higher, but the Wrethans have finally been driven from their fortified head. They seem to have had part of their force erect hastily made, much weaker, fortifications behind themselves during the fighting, but they shouldn't provide nearly as much resistance.

The grenades issued to the men are almost depleated, and officers on the ground report that the enemy may yet win by sheer volume of numbers- particularly if they continue to be reinforced. An ability to defend against rifle shot would be welcome, as would a weapon with the ability to reliably destroy enemy cannons in the field.

Confirmed kills: Approximately half a squad, and 1 cannon.
Losses: 25% Squad Gamma, 75% Squad Delta.

Burned Mountain

The Will has nothing new to report.

Inside the Spire
Aside from writing back home with the longest list of ' "It's hot!" "Well how hot is it?" ' jokes, the Marines at Burned Mountain produce no notable reports.

Spire Kasgyre

The fleet arrives home safely, commencing refits on the vessels in need.

The Natalie XI is constructed, and the technical overhaul and crew changes needed to mothball the Anguis and finish the Anguis II are made in good time.

It is the beginning of the year 376AR.

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
13(+10)/y Crystal, 24/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 23/85 banked
19/y Wood, 19/95 banked
10/y Silk, 20/50 banked

It is now the design and project maintenance phase. You have 5 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:15:09 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 15, 2018, 10:16:04 pm »

Any report from the Natalie scouting Unfinished?

Anguis II should have a bronzewood hull now. Also bronzewood reinforced trim webs.

Viperidae should be at 8 webs 2 crystals. Thats -4 crystals. Fixing a past mistake.
It should have a topaz vanguard same as the Anguis II. Bronzewood reinforced turret.
-4 kettleguns.

There should be a topaz medium core in storage.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 16, 2018, 02:10:36 am »

Topaz Lance: (5 Dice) [1] Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 16, 2018, 02:58:36 am »

Well, bronze armour is literally bullet proof, so that should solve the gun issue. The enemy cannon are an issue though.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 16, 2018, 06:02:55 am »

Draignean forgot to update our silk cost, among other errors. We should be at 20.

To finish building our new viper we need 11 ore, 18 wood, 12 silk.
+an additional 0 to 20 wood depending on how many trim webs and whether they are bronzewood or not.

Sure we can afford topaz lance. There is one revision I really want us to try though. Trim crystal powered turret rotation. Because that should let our new vanguard turrets rotate fast enough to track moving ships, and also help kettleguns.

Topaz Lance: (4 dice) [1] NAV

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 16, 2018, 06:18:24 am »

Following Nav's plan, we would still have enough Ore spare to produce a squad's worth of Bronze armour, which we could issue to our shield bearers.

The Wrethi are presumably aiming at center of mass when firing on our shield wall, and so the breastplate should protect us here. A bonus is that they won't necessarily know that our guys are wearing armour behind the shields, so they won't know to aim somewhere else.

Further, restricting the amount we invest in projects this turn means we can equip more marines to support TC, rather than just sending materiel.

With the new viper ready, and an additional Natalie, I'm more confident in our ability to make an insertion at TC. Especially as it feels like Aerial warfare favours the attacker currently.

Topaz Lance: (4 dice) [2] NAV, Kashyyk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:25:16 am by Kashyyk »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:59 am »

Topaz Lance: (4 dice) [3] NAV, Kashyyk,Rockeater

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: March 16, 2018, 08:33:06 am »

Reporting for duty, discussion and ideas in this glorious nation spire of Kasgyr
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 178