Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150526 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1740 on: January 25, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »

Grenade Sling -
Slings have been used since Neolithic times on Earth, so it should be very simple to both produce and train our marines to use. With a bit of practice, they should be able to reliably launch grenades many times further than they can be thrown. They can also sling rocks lethally if they find themselves with no better weapons.

Italicized an addition. Should make unequipped marines or marines with just grenades more viable.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:23:43 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 25, 2018, 04:25:29 pm »

Airmask

Due to complaints from both aviators and Marines, engineering is finally making a filter mask. Crafted from exotic materials, the mask fits over the nose and mouth and is designed to filter harmful fumes from the air, such as the fumes from the flaming spitball.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 25, 2018, 04:36:50 pm »

Interestingly, the Airmask could also help a little in Burned Mountain, especially if it ends up as some sort of steampunk gasmask.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 25, 2018, 04:39:29 pm »

Well, it's actually primarily for burned mountain. I just don't know much about the gasses there. Also, I need to add an eye cover.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 25, 2018, 05:16:46 pm »

Have you ever had to work wearing a filter mask? Those things get muggy. You want our men to going the 120 degree heat, breathing through filter masks? It's a bad idea imo. We ought to find another way to deal with the stuff. We could literally just start distributing cannaries instead.

+1 to grenade slings though. A simple solution to the problem.

Also, we need to get our entire fleet in position to be at the three captains next turn for the landing. There is a good chance they may try a counter attack.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 25, 2018, 05:32:50 pm »

Have you ever had to work wearing a filter mask? Those things get muggy. You want our men to going the 120 degree heat, breathing through filter masks? It's a bad idea imo. We ought to find another way to deal with the stuff. We could literally just start distributing cannaries instead.

+1 to grenade slings though. A simple solution to the problem.

Also, we need to get our entire fleet in position to be at the three captains next turn for the landing. There is a good chance they may try a counter attack.
Focusing on gas deaths right now, we do need to deal with heatstroke though.

Maybe we could send little spiders to serve as canaries!

Slings sound okay, I still prefer the crossbow.

EDIT: we could do a throwing stick, less training in exchange for less range.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:36:04 pm by Doomblade187 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 25, 2018, 05:53:42 pm »

Gas Hood
A hood of oiled cloth that seals around the neck. Has round glass lenses to look through, and an activated charcoal filter to breathe through. Will protect from poisonous gasses in the air, such as those caused by Wreth's spitball cannon or Burned Mountain.

We should consider throwing stick as a tertiary option if the sling fails.

Edit: Good idea with the canaries Helmacon. We have a skiff named canary because it was used like one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:56:48 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 25, 2018, 06:05:03 pm »

I've got a slightly "out there" idea, which would probably require a design:

Ice Coat
Our weapon's crystals are able to produce hard aether projectiles, along with heat as a byproduct. As every college graduate knows, aether can be treated like another state of energy, like heat, electricity or light. Thus if a crystal can produce energy, then it stands to reason that it can absorb it, we just need to work out the correct inverse matrix. Lining the inside of a long coat with a number of these Cooling Crystals will keep a marine comfortable even in the overbearing heat of Burned Mountain.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:11:31 pm by Kashyyk »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:28 pm »

I like it, but let's put it on the back burner for now. We need to be gearing up for our landing at the TC right now.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:18 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Specialized Lance Crystals [1]: Doomblade
Gas Hood [1]: Doomblade

I know that the heat would get worse with the hood, but we can at least set up a perimeter this way.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 25, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »

Quote from: Votes (2 dice)
Specialized Lance Crystals [2]: Doomblade, Kashyyk
Gas Hood [1]: Doomblade
Grenade Sling [1]: Kashyyk

If we did do the Ice Coat as a design, I imagine it would be very reasonable you include a gas mask to complete the Burned Mountain gear set.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 25, 2018, 07:56:10 pm »

Specialized Lance Crystals [2]: Doomblade, Kashyyk
Gas Hood [2]: Doomblade, NAV
Grenade Sling [2]: Kashyyk, NAV

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: January 25, 2018, 09:21:57 pm »

Specialized Lance Crystals [3]: Doomblade, Kashyyk, helmacon
Gas Hood [2]: Doomblade, NAV
Grenade Sling [3]: Kashyyk, NAV, helmacon

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 25, 2018, 11:12:29 pm »

Revision: Bowie Knifes

The idea of this is to reduce the cost of the cutlass to a negligible amount in the way our leather helmets are now. It should be noted that the uncontrolled variable in this endeavor is the quality of the weapon, not the cost. Reducing our most basic offensive implement will save us large amounts of ore in the long run. Our most imminent offensive for example would take large amounts of ore just to outfit the company with cutlasses. Knives may be slightly less effective, but would be part of a standardized uniform we are slowly developing for our soldiers.

The leather wrappings at the hilt of the knife can be unfastened and used to secure it onto the end of a weapon as a bayonet.

((We need to use our dice over the next few turns on things that will directly effect our landing invasion. This is the last opportunity to produce equipment that will be used in the landing. Next turn we can design new tactics.))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:46:13 pm by helmacon »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 25, 2018, 11:42:25 pm »

If that mentioned their use as bayonets I would consider voting for it.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 178