Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150516 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1575 on: December 01, 2017, 10:52:07 pm »

For hunting the wounded Wreth fleet before they can escape I support ambush + coordinated fire. For blockading I support pure coordinated fire.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: December 03, 2017, 05:14:58 am »

Quote from: Votes
[1] Aggro : Kashyyk
[] Transport First :

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:25 am »

[1] Transport First : NAV
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »

[2] Transport First : NAV, helmacon
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: December 10, 2017, 04:59:44 pm »

[3] Transport First : NAV, helmacon, Talion

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: December 10, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »

[4] Transport First : NAV, helmacon, Talion, Doomblade187
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: December 10, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »

[5] Transport First : NAV, helmacon, Talion, Doomblade187, BBBence
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: December 10, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »

[6] Transport First : NAV, helmacon, Talion, Doomblade187, BBBence,khang

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: December 11, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »

Three Captains

Fog rolls in, thick and deep. Spotters scan the horizons leading to enemy territory for any sight of hull or trim, but the odds are against them. Without an enemy to pursue, the fleet falls into defensive positions around the Three Captains. With luck, the blockade will prevent them from reinforce their position with cannon or increasing the manpower with which they hold the line.

The Unfinished

The Natalie IV's report of the unfinished is both short and alarming. She arrives and sets up position shortly ahead of a Wrethan transport ship, which her Captain observes docking with the Unfinished Spire and departing in short order. There are no defensive ships in the area, nor do there appear to be any easily visible fortifications or gunnery sections sections built out of the Unfinished's frame.

At least, not at first. As days pass, the captain of the Natalie IV reports construction of a crude dock occurring, and the launch of several simple resource ferrying transports. There still does not appear to be any evidence of defensive guns, and the dock is remarkably crude. Less frequently than outbound resource shipments, civilian transports also make their way to the Unfinished spire from Wreth, and it is there that the captain notes a disturbing peculiarity on his spyglass. While the ships coming from Wreth fly their flag, the ships sent from the Unfinished fly no colors at all.

Regardless, the situation appears worse than expected. As an aside, the captain reports that his few crew of all reported sharp headaches, difficulty sleeping, and bizarre and horrifying dreams. While the captain's letter is careful to avoid directly  saying that he believes the Unfinished spire to be bad luck and a malevolent omen, he and his men would appreciate new orders in the face of the Wrethan development.

Spire Kasgyre

A new Natalie comes into service, joined by the Dionysus and the partially completed Viperidae.

A new squad of marines and several new communications officers finish training.

Prototype Bonus Round

Viper Production Line
[Efficacy: 1 Cost: 1 Bugs: 3]
A close evaluation of the Viper Production line nearly brings the engineering department to tears. Many of the investment funds set up to back the project's cost have been quietly diverted into other channels, including some rather predator investments into the open crystal market generated by the hanging gardens. Likewise, the suppliers of the materials and the shipyard workers appear to have reached a certain solidarity with on another, and have taken the promise of guaranteed regular work as an opportunity to double their respective costs. Based on these figures, the completed production line would be able to finance a single viper every four years, and only one such viper.

Vertical Envelopment
[Efficacy: 2 Cost: 4 Bugs: 1]
It seems that it's a bad idea to finalize curricula immediately after drowning your sorrows over a failed production line in strong whiskey. The Vertical Envelopment tactic, in its standard form, absolutely requires the grappling gear to be effective in any way. Soldiers using it will attempt to surround the enemy from a multitude of direction, theoretically flanking from five flanks. In practice, it rarely works that well. It needs a fairly large number of people (four squads) available to muster force on all fronts effectively, and the actual difficulties in clambering around mean that a highly mobile force may have already moved on when an attack begins. The lecturers also seemed to have neglected anything approaching proper coordination, and ambushes are frequently triggered by whoever decides to shoot first, leaving soldiers grotesquely out of position and cut off from one another.

Prototype Bonus: Vertical Envelopment: A somewhat poorly implemented tactic to attack a target from multiple unexpected directions by exploiting cave geography. It requires grappling gear, and functions even more poorly when less than four full squads are using it. There is a considerable risk of the tactic putting some squads out of position during offensive actions, and is somewhat time consuming to get people in position due to lack of good communication.

Completion Bonus: Spider Marines: 3 Squads of marines, 6 silk for 2 Squads | A specially trained squad of marines, pre-equipped with strong silk grappling lines. Spider Marines can use the Vertical Envelopment tactic in conjunction with any tactic, and do not have to be told to use vertical envelopment.

A.I.M
[Efficacy: 2 Cost: 5 Bugs: 5]
The good news about everything going bad and getting horribly inebriated, is that there are sometimes revelations to be had from within a drunken stupor. The AIM diagrams that once seemed complex beyond understanding now seem childishly simple, the formulas that once seemed insane are now reasonable, and the half-built attempts to emulate the savants work are swept aside like child's toys for the real work to begin. The machine can be created, it IS possible, it WILL work!

Unfortunately, despite pushing the frontiers of science, the machine is rather underwhelming in operation.  The prototype unit resembles a large cage, lined with weapons crystals designs to generate a very specific aetheric resonance. When turned on, the machine emits a characteristic hum that's aggravating for short periods and maddening for longer ones, but any mist within the cage dissipates rapidly. Engineering is confident that they can open the cage design up a bit, creating surface spikes capable of controlling the mist in an area around them, but they'll be rather enormously power hungry- which is a bit of a problem when the primary source of energy is notably missing.

Limited testing, however, has shown that the spikes have absolutely no ability to deter surface monsters in any way. They allow for better visibility, but they don't hold attacks at bay. This puts a rather sharp limit on how far operations can be expanded before the cost is prohibitive.

Prototype Bonus: Mist Manipulation: You can banish the mist using aetherics. Time will tell how useful this is.

On Completion: AIM Expedition: 2 Crystal, 3 Ore, 2 silk | Permanently improves a Spire's ability to gather wood or silk by 1 unit per turn. Can be stacked up to 3 times.

It is now the beginning of the year 371 AR.

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
13(+10)/y Crystal, 35/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 28/85 banked
19/y Wood, 95/95 banked
10/y Silk, 21/50 banked

It is now the design and project maintenance phase. You have 7 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

[/quote]
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: December 11, 2017, 05:25:11 pm »

Well that's upsetting. It appears the Wrethi have captured the Unfinished, and most of our long term projects are garbage.

I suggest scrapping both the non-special projects. We ain't gonna do anything with those so there's no point keeping them.

I'd quite like to retry Ironwood, as well as create some sort of Combat Transport. AIM doesn't look bad though, so i wouldn't be opposed to throwing a bunch of dice at it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: December 11, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »

AIM is useless currently. All it does is get us more wood and silk. We need neither.
I quite like the spider marines from Vertical Envelopment.

+1 to trying Ironwood again.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:36 am »

Silk ain't a bad thing to up production of, because we're not actually at our cap.

I'll ante and vote already, that might spark some discussion:

Quote from: Votes (7 dice)
[1] Ironwood 2(3 dice) + A.I.M ()1 die + hold 3 dice: Kashyyk

Abandon projects:
Viper Production Line
[1] Yay: Kashyyk
[] Nay:

Vertical Envelopment
[] Nay:

Projects:
Ironwood 2

Quote from: Ironwood 2: Darwinian Boogaloo
Okay, so our previous attempt at Ironwood failed. But that just proves that Lamarck got it wrong. Lets try again, but this time maybe we should listen to Charles Darwin?
  + Mendelian Experience bonus

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: December 12, 2017, 11:02:50 am »

[2] Ironwood 2(3 dice) + A.I.M ()1 die + hold 3 dice: Kashyyk, Doomblade187

Abandon projects:
Viper Production Line
[] Nay:

Vertical Envelopment
[1] Nay: Doomblade187

Projects:
Ironwood 2

I want to save some revision dice for revising our transports for Medium cores.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: December 12, 2017, 11:14:59 am »

We get absolutely nothing at all by scrapping either projects, since we have no resources sunk and less than 6 dice sunk in either.

We currently use all our excess silk for aethersilk vests. These vests don't do much because wreth mostly uses crossbows instead of aether weapons. They still help a bit so more silk would help a bit, but not enough to sink dice or ore into.

I think we should rename Ironwood 2 to Bronzewood. Bronze is actually reliable unlike Iron.

[2] Ironwood 2(3 dice) + A.I.M ()1 die + hold 3 dice: Kashyyk, Doomblade187
[1] Ironwood 2(3 dice) + hold 4 dice: NAV

[1] Name it Bronzewood: NAV

Abandon projects:
Viper Production Line
[1] Nay: NAV

Vertical Envelopment
[2] Nay: Doomblade187, NAV

Projects:
Ironwood 2
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:16:56 am by NAV »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: December 13, 2017, 11:31:59 am »

[3] Ironwood 2(3 dice) + A.I.M ()1 die + hold 3 dice: Kashyyk, Doomblade187, Talion
[1] Ironwood 2(3 dice) + hold 4 dice: NAV

[2] Name it Bronzewood: NAV, Talion

Abandon projects:
Viper Production Line
[1] Nay: NAV

Vertical Envelopment
[2] Nay: Doomblade187, NAV

Projects:
Ironwood 2
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 178