Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150633 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1290 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:13 am »

Coordinated Fire: [3] NAV, Kashyyk, Jerick
Topaz skyskiffs "Natalie" pattern: [3] NAV, Kashyyk, Jerick
Royal Funding: [3] Kashyyk, NAV, Jerick
Prepared Bait and Strike: [2] Kashyyk, NAV
Hold 1 die: [1]Jerick
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:16 pm »

Coordinated Fire: [3] NAV, Kashyyk, Jerick
Topaz skyskiffs "Natalie" pattern: [3] NAV, Kashyyk, Jerick
Royal Funding: [3] Kashyyk, NAV, Jerick
Prepared Bait and Strike: [3] Kashyyk, NAV, helmacon
Hold 1 die: [1]Jerick
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 11, 2017, 01:33:26 pm »

Skyskiff Pattern with Trim Webs
Efficacy: 5
The new pattern for the Trim Web Equipped Skyskiff is goes about as well as one could hope, with no qualms from the individuals controlling the purse strings. However, the notable (120%) increase in the wood required due to on-the-fly refits of the existing skiff hulls severely hampers the number of skiffs that can be put out.  Some negotiations are made, but it would be a really great idea revise a Skiff hull that natively supported the trim webs.

New pattern:
Produces one skiff every turn.
Produces a max of 7 skiffs.
Last line bolded for emphasis.
We should revise a skyskiff hull that natively supports trim webs. That way we can have trim web skyskiffs produced at the same rate as standard skyskiffs. We can have a line manufacturing amazing royal topaz trim web skyskiffs.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »

Unfortunately we don't have quite that many dice. Although if I understand the mechanics right, as a trim web hull is a straight improvement on  regular hulls it should get applied to our patterns automatically like the kettleguns were.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 12, 2017, 04:39:05 pm »

Unfortunately we don't have quite that many dice. Although if I understand the mechanics right, as a trim web hull is a straight improvement on  regular hulls it should get applied to our patterns automatically like the kettleguns were.

It wouldn't. A trim web hull can only use trim webs, which cuts out an existing technology. Depending on pricing, one might say that is a clear upgrade, but it's not an unambiguous one.

Something it unambiguously better if, were it to simultaneously happen to all vessels, you wouldn't be the least bit displeased. If all your skiff hulls were to suddenly get converted to webs only, well, you'd have a lot of momentarily surprised Skiff captains, followed quickly by a complete lack of skiff captains.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 12, 2017, 05:28:56 pm »

Are you actually saying we would have to revise a skyskiff hull that natively supports trim webs, then revise yet another skyskiff pattern to make use of that hull? Because that would be really annoying.

I have another question about hulls and trim webs. The Ophidian was equipped with full trim webs, but then its tail was blasted off and we lost half of them. After we fix the tail do we have to refit it again, or do we only pay the crystal cost for its trim webs? Can we choose whether to make the repaired tail suitable for trim webs or trim crystals?

If we want to switch a ship from trim webs back to trim crystals (for whatever hypothetical reason), would we have to pay the same cost to refit them?

A long time ago when we stripped the Anguis and equipped that stuff to the Pythonidae, we never payed the refit cost for the Pythonidae. We should probably have had to pay to refit it.... Is the Anguis hull still at it's (3 trim web, 6 trim crystal) status that it was at when we stripped it? Could we give it 6 topaz trim webs without paying their refit cost?

Is it possible to pay only the crystal cost for topaz items then buy the ore cost later when we actually want to make use of them? Because i'm pretty sure we only get the crystals from the princess.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:05:17 pm by NAV »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: October 13, 2017, 07:34:11 am »

In order:

Huh. That is not my intention, but it is an accurate representation of the rules. Yes that would be needlessly annoying, though, admittedly, you knew what you were getting into when you made that first pattern. We'll burn that bridge when we come to it, but I might suggest adding a hook into the text of the revision stating that you're modifying the production pattern with this new hull, or that you're modifying all skiffs going forward with the new hull, ore some such good looking nonsense.

You do not, currently, have a great way to natively integrate trim webs, the system you currently use is an overly resource intensive one. So, yes, you have to pay for the tail again.

Yes, the cost is mirrored. Converting from web to trim and vice versa have the same costs. Where does the wood go? No one knows.

Hmm, at this point it would be simpler to just pay for the refits on the Anguis and it treat it as though it had never been augmented, since they'll make up some of the cost you dodged on the Pythonidae. It's not much, but I thank you for bringing it up.

Good question, but no.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:43 pm »

Coordinated Fire
Efficacy: 6
The coordinated fire tactical doctrine is a resounding success, and one that bears excellent synergy with scouting vessels and combat vessels equipped with signal flashers. In particular, it sees the creation off a shorthand flashsign polar coordinates system for denoting damage on enemy vessels.

For vessels without signal flashers, one crewman is assigned to log damage inflicted on enemy vessels and keep a weather eye for damaged sections of shroud created by other vessels. From there, it's his job to make gunnery calls based off the captain's orders. In general, such a crew member does a fair job in field tests of setting guns for focused attacks on weak points and spread patterns against multiple skiff assaults.

However, in conjunction with a stand-off observer vessel is where the tactic truly shines. The observer acts as a master fire control, with observers logging shroud damage on larger enemy vessels and tracking movement patterns of attack skiffs. This globally logged information is then flashed back to combat vessels, allowing them to rapidly gain knowledge of breaches in the enemy defensive line. Equally importantly, the observes can call skiff attack patterns, allowing multiple vessels to be called to coordinate scattered defensive fire simultaneously.

That being said, much efficacy is likely lost in our current, and sadly lacking structure of ship command, as well as the limited training for our existing captains. Improving our men may yield much improved results when coordinating larger ship battles.

Topaz Skyskiffs 'Natalie' Pattern
Efficacy: 6-1
Royalty apparently enjoying being complimented, and after considerable wheedling, cajoling, and pleading, the princess has deigned to put together a crew capable of assembling entire skiffs out of Topaz- though at some considerable reduction to her normal production of Topaz objects.

Skyskiff Pattern 'Natalie': [Max: 7 | Rate: 1]
Creates one Skyskiff units per turn, up to a max of 7. When this pattern is active, the princess' topaz production is cut to 1d4-2.  Each skyskiff is outfitted with
2 Light Topaz Aether Cannons.
1 Very Small Topaz Core Crystal
1 Very Small Topaz Lift Crystal
4 Topaz Trim Webs
2 reams of webbing
Buyback cost: 9 crystal, 8 ore, 11 wood, 4 silk

Imperial Funding
Efficacy: 4-1
There has begun to be a great deal of sighing and groaning when engineers broach the topic of imperial topaz, and reaching an agreement for even more production is painful, and requires significant promises of loyalty and equipment from the design teams. Still, with those in hand, the liason of the imperial family promises that more such crystals will arrive as soon as is feasible. The princess will produce an additional 1d4 crystal items each turn, even when the Natalie pattern is active.

Prepared Bait and Strike
Efficacy: 6
While Navy captains might have some qualms about dishonorable combat, it turns out that the marines are a vicious bunch of born ambushers. A few brainstorming sessions latter and marine officers are drawing up plans for creating murder-holes out of the former spider warrens, rigged crossbow and tripwire traps at intersections, blockades that explode when torn down, and all manner of horrible traps. It'll significantly benefit our defensive ability during retreats- but it's fairly reliant on having equipment to set up. Our troops can do quite a bit, particularly when salvaging the dead, but there's a limit to what manner of godawful fuckery can be set up without spare supplies.

It is now the production, tactics, and deployment phase.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13(+10)/y Crystal, 23/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 35/85 banked
19/y Wood, 95/95 banked
10/y Silk, 44/50 banked

ON THE IMPERIAL TOPAZ: I will give you a little bit to decide whether you wish to put the Natalie pattern into action before I give you the Imperial Topaz rolls. Whichever option, Natalie or no Natalie, gets to 3 votes first will win, and I will flip a coin or decide with whatever votes I have if you don't come to a consensus quickly enough.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 15, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »

Fucking Kasygrite die. They never fail.

We get 2 D4 -2 topaz items with the pattern in place, so I think it's worth doing, IMO.
Edit: Nevermind. Lets burn our current skiffs and stock up on topaz. Implement the patterns next turn.

Until we have capital ships, it might pay to make striped down skiffs to act as our command and control during battle. No weapons, so it's faster and dosent engage in combat.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:47:52 pm by helmacon »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 15, 2017, 11:49:06 pm »

Draig, is the current pattern considered different enough from the three Natalie that we'd have to buy-back or lose them if we switched?

Otherwise, my word that's a good turn.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 15, 2017, 11:54:43 pm »

I vote no Natalie skiffs yet. Once we have a Royal Viper, or at least a royal medium core, then lets switch to the Natalie.

Khamsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 16, 2017, 01:16:31 am »

Hey guys, I joined the discord last night and I've decided to jump in on this side.
I personally vote that we start producing Natalie skiffs right away, but stockpile them at our home spire to build up for an alpha strike.
Code: [Select]
Production:
No Natalie Skiffs [1]: NAV
Natalie Skiffs [1]: Khamsin
Plans:

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:16 am »

Draig, is the current pattern considered different enough from the three Natalie that we'd have to buy-back or lose them if we switched?

Otherwise, my word that's a good turn.

No, you could keep up to the 7 cap, and then you'd have to start crunching.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:17 am »

Production:
No Natalie Skiffs [2]: NAV, helmacon
Natalie Skiffs [1]: Khamsin
Plans:

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 16, 2017, 12:26:35 pm »

Alright, no Natalie skiffs this round.

---
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 178