Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150717 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #765 on: August 13, 2017, 02:56:47 am »

Actually, another design which should be very resource light is the Signal Flashers

A set of mirrors, a shuttered lamp and a code book allows the user to send light based messages to other vessels. The mirrors are for reflecting sunlight during the day, and the lamp is for at night. The lamp is designed only to emit light in a single direction, is lined with inward facing mirrors to increase light intensity and comes with a shutter to allow easy showing/hiding of the light. The code book contains mores code, as well as a number of short-hand codes for commonly used messages (such as "Target [direction]", "Cover Me", "Spring the Ambush" etc).

3 dice to vanguard cannon [1] NAV
Signal Flashers [1] Kashyyk

Bank 2 die [2] Kashyyk, NAV?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:38 am »

3 dice to vanguard cannon [1] NAV
Signal Flashers(I'm assuming that's three dice to the signal flashers) [2] Kashyyk, Jerick

Bank 2 die [2] Kashyyk, Jerick
I'm not actually going to vote for the vanguard. It's a nice cannon but currently much too expensive. We need to solve our resource problems first. As to overall strategy the lack of activity at the unfinished is interesting. It suggests several possible things:
  • They've pulled everything so they can deal with us at TC
  • They have no interest in crystal or wood but a pressing need of ore/silk and only sent troops there to contest if we landed
  • There is something very nasty lurking in those open spaces, (perhaps something of such size and nastiness that they developed an indoor aether cannon)
  • They still have troops there but our flying visit might have missed their presence (though it does mean they haven't captured it yet and I don't know how likely the Wrethians are to leave troops on the front lines without at least a token air defense)
Now what are they going to do this turn? I feel certain they'll try to get a transport to TC. We've cut their forces there to the bone. So much in fact they surrendered territory to help preserve the few marines they have left for another turn. They will not want to lose that field gun of theirs but if they don't deploy reinforcements or extract those marines this turn they are practically guaranteed to lose it. If we can take out that transport it'll be a major blow (if they have yet to start building another transport after their earlier loses then it could be disastrous for them). But we need dice to spend on relevant tactics to make that happen.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 13, 2017, 12:12:37 pm »

Hey, I made a thing. This should help keep our designs in order. Just use Heading 3 for the title of each design.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YN4Ec9A-MIrM73mOhp9OhS0nkAMkmlxjrIvE6kguMys/edit?usp=sharing
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 13, 2017, 04:24:21 pm »

Wreth is ready, but it looks like you guys could use another minute.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 13, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »

I think we mainly need the rest of the team to recover from the weekend and turn up to the drawing board.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 13, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »

I think we mainly need the rest of the team to recover from the weekend and turn up to the drawing board.
Currently moving and having cake day. Apologies to my non-presence on the forums recently.

Design: Cycle Shrouds
Our med core crystals are made from three melded small crystals, and the more we have explored how this works and attempted to address the problems presented by it, the more revelations we have made in what this particular setup makes possible. After several years of research, our scientists believe they are finally ready to turn the myriad of theories and articles on the subject into concrete applicable concepts.
Our latest studies that discovered the "heartbeat" of the crystal revealed something extraordinary. Each small crystal acts independently, with the additional capabilities of the med crystal as a emergent property arising from thier interactions.
To refresh you shroud traditionally requires the crystal to be brought down to zero power, and then be raised back to functionality. We think we have found a way around that.
The dedicated engineers on board our ships use specifically designed tools to prevent the crystals from de-synchronizing. A spontaneous desynchronization creates a mess of the internal energy flow in the crystals and results in a dramatic loss in power. However, with only slight modifications to the current tool set, we believe we can induce a controlled desynchronization. Controlling the desynchronization in the proper manner should prevent and inefficiency, and essentially just reduce the core to three independent small cores operating very close to each. Using this process, the operation of the ship can be shunted to two of the crystals, while the third is brought to zero and refreshed. The process is then repeated for the other two crystals, ending with completely refreshed shrouds for the entirety of the ship.
This will of course necessitate the ship running on partial power for the duration of the procedure, but as the viper is already stated to be somewhat oversupplied with power it would be an ideal situation for such a procedure. We already carry dedicated engineers to prevent desynchronization, so the procedure would be rather quick to carry out, and would not require to removal of anyone from thier posts. 
Best of all, our captains could shout "cycle shrouds!" mid battle.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 13, 2017, 07:45:23 pm »

I really want to play FTL with a viper now.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 14, 2017, 02:30:59 am »

What Helm said. I really want our own triplicate shrouds. Count me in on this.

Similarly, I will be unavailable for the next week and a half due to travel.

What's FTL?

Also: Tactic, Selective Targeting. Pretty simple, ships fire on ships within their size range.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:33:17 am by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:25 am »

What is this? Real Life? Something that affects you at all times? How on earth could that be anywhere near as important as a couple of randomers on the internet? [/sarcasm]

FTL: Faster Than Light is a resource management game about racing across the galaxy in a dinky ship, fighting off rebels & pirates, running across all sorts of random events and attempting to save the Federation. It's pretty fun. It's on Steam.

Anyway, I love the idea of a triple shroud, but I'm concerned there'll be a crystal cost to it that we can't afford right now if we want to keep ahead in the corvette construction race. Signal Flashers will allow our ships to better coordinate and thus use better tactics, which are all resource free.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 14, 2017, 06:55:03 am »

What is this? Real Life? Something that affects you at all times? How on earth could that be anywhere near as important as a couple of randomers on the internet? [/sarcasm]

FTL: Faster Than Light is a resource management game about racing across the galaxy in a dinky ship, fighting off rebels & pirates, running across all sorts of random events and attempting to save the Federation. It's pretty fun. It's on Steam.

Anyway, I love the idea of a triple shroud, but I'm concerned there'll be a crystal cost to it that we can't afford right now if we want to keep ahead in the corvette construction race. Signal Flashers will allow our ships to better coordinate and thus use better tactics, which are all resource free.

It is more important - I'm on a cruise ship and I'm not done nailing antennae to homing pigeons yet. I physically cannot reach you.

Controlled desyncronization sounds a bit iffy and might cost more crystal, yeah. Also, we've basically wasted a roll on the production plan at this point. We're not developing that project at all, and now they've caught up.

We probably should consider changing the skiff line to a viper line, as our skiffs are far outclassed. Also, my tactic is fine then?

As my internet access will be spotty from now on, please take any and all opinions expressed in this and previous posts as my official vote if it comes to a vote. Now, do I say that in triplicate?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 14, 2017, 07:09:12 am »

Only if you're a Wrethi spy.

I'd like to buff our skyskiffs a bit rather than trading them in for 1/3 of a viper per turn or however much it was. Possibly with some sort of crystal refinement process.

Although just designing ways to get more resources could also theoretically work, as if I understand Draig's production line maths right, reducing the "cost" of a resource by having more of them would mean we get more skiffs per turn, and more skyskiffs is always better right?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 14, 2017, 12:05:08 pm »

Only if you're a Wrethi spy.

I'd like to buff our skyskiffs a bit rather than trading them in for 1/3 of a viper per turn or however much it was. Possibly with some sort of crystal refinement process.

Although just designing ways to get more resources could also theoretically work, as if I understand Draig's production line maths right, reducing the "cost" of a resource by having more of them would mean we get more skiffs per turn, and more skyskiffs is always better right?

Production line numbers won't change unless you poke them, in order to prevent... odd ripple effects from gaining resources. If a design uses a lot of a particular resource, then gaining a lot of production in that resource will make it cheaper. However, since resource value is all relative, if you gain a lot of a resource that a design doesn't use, it's conceivable for its overall cost to increase despite the fact that you gained increased production.

There should be a global scaling term based on the total resources in the game, but I don't want to work that out at the moment.

In other news, am I flipping a coin between Signal Flashers and Cyclic Shrouds?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 14, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »

I tiebreak to signal flashers, as cool and useful as cycle shrouds are we need some form of communication.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 14, 2017, 02:37:41 pm »

I tiebreak to signal flashers, as cool and useful as cycle shrouds are we need some form of communication.
Noooooo!! NAV, what have you done?!?

I was good gonna write a really cool thing for communication next turn where we disassemble crystals without desynchronising them and end up with remote synchronization. It was gonna be so cool...
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 14, 2017, 02:44:18 pm »

We still need marine comms that is better then shouting so we've still got a chance of that. This is a way to get a cheap comms advantage over the Wrethi.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 178