Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150720 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #675 on: August 07, 2017, 04:32:17 pm »

Blackstone

The encounter at Blackstone is fierce and unexpected. Five more Wreth skyskiffs very nearly succeed in blindsiding the reinforcement convoy, but thankfully their primitive tactics don't let them capitalize on their advantage. The fighting is fierce, and succeeds in significantly derailing the course of the Hermes as the warships dance and try to gain any edge possible.

The friendly skiffs are outmatched once more and destroyed quickly after Wreth waits out their kettleguns via superior maneuverability. After that, it's the Anguis against the world- which goes fairly well, despite its reduced maneuverability as compared to the Serpentis. Free of the worry of core desynchronization, the captain can push her to the limit, which is enough to take make occasional grazes against the quick enemy skiffs and to keep the Hermes covered. Progress is slow, and it definitely brings up the distinct danger of running into a larger swarm of enemy skiffs.

The burst of refreshed fire from the renewed kettleguns, however, is enough to win the day. Giving the Anguis the few moments of edge it needs to surprise the Wreth captains and rob a number of them of their lives. It's not pretty, and it's likely that the skiffs could have done serious damage to a transport if they'd focused their fire, but after three wreth Skyskiffs are dispatched, the remaining pair flee into the mist.

The issue is that the engagement severely delayed the convoy, and they will be unable to reinforce the Three Captains.

Confirmed Kills: Three Wreth Skyskiffs
Losses: Two Skyskiffs

Three Captains

The Serpentis' watch is uneventful, which is somewhat worrying considering the three skiffs that got away. They're either not here anymore, or they're being very quiet.

Inside the Spire

Without reinforcements, the battle is taxing on the ground troops. The Wreth are playing a defensive game, not going after ground, but rather waiting for Kasgyre advances and then springing a quick ambush. If that ambush were with their infantry, the Kasgyrite officers would be confident in their ability to give as much as they received, but that damn new weapon of theirs is horrifying. It blinds, shatters cover, and makes the very air burn. The only silver lining seems to be that it can't be fired terribly often, perhaps due to power, or perhaps because it makes the air as hot for them as everyone else. Regardless, the results are horrifying. Even men who aren't evaporated in a flash of bone-white light often become cripples due to stone shrapnel or waves of blistering heat.

Vengeance, however, is sweet- if a touch bitter. In order to make their new flanking tactics work, the marines have to wait for another ambush, one in just the right spot. The opportunity finally comes in a section of caves and vaults riddled with spider tunnels. The Wrethan scum open their engagement, as ever, with their new weapon, but the affected men simply retreat back to cover and keep firing, buying more time.

The flank is lead by an enterprising young captain with the audacity to crawl through the spider tunnels, using them to bring cutlass bearing soldiers and crossbows to point blank range. His squad is also the first to get a good look at the new Wreth weapon, and he very nearly succeeds in disabling it. The weapon appears to be a scaled down light aether cannon, about 75% of standard size, fitted with a blast shield bearing numerous holes from Witch-Hunter bolts, and mounted on a folding tripod.  During the attack, the young officer is able to get close enough to the weapon to cut the gunner down, but is overwhelmed with fire from gauntlet weapons.

Every man of what appear to be the remaining pair of Wreth squads is equipped with a gauntlet weapon, and that's the only thing that lets them salvage an ordered retreat from what should have been a rout. The Witch-Hunters can't keep up in rate of fire, and the range advantage simply slaughters men with cutlasses who weren't fortunate enough to start crawl out of tunnels right next to the enemy. 

The action is effective, but costly. It gives the remaining Kasgyrite officers an idea of what they're up against. The enemy has less than three full squads active, but they're heavily armed. Their weapon is a modified cannon, and several reliable soldiers noted that, when the enemies were retreated, the portable cannon was put into some kind of hover mode.

As expected, the ranking officer stresses the need for those men that were delayed. They need more bodies on this front- preferably with good weapons.

Confirmed Kills: At least a full squad of men
Losses: Units 5 and 2.

Neither side has gained or lost ground.

Spire Kasgyre

Two additional squads of Marines have been trained, and two additional Skyskiffs have been produced.

Event: War Never Changes

The speeches and propaganda delivered to the people stir them and enrage them towards Wreth, but they lack some vital spark. The messages obsess too much about the vileness of Wreth, and sadly due a great deal to sow mistrust of individuals viewed as Wreth sympathizers.

While the continuing propaganda keeps the people ready for war, it fails to unify them, and their is little additional benefit to their continued belief in the war effort.

Kasgyre has Lost the event.

It is the beginning of the year 358

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13/y Crystal, 22/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 17/85 banked
19/y Wood, 30/95 banked
10/y Silk, 28/50 banked

It is now the design and project maintenance phase. You have 5 dice left to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 07, 2017, 05:17:31 pm »

Ah damn. I was planning on writing a fluff piece today, but I guess I was too slow. Oh well.

I think we need to revise our skiff production line to use studding to make them relevant again. Other then that, maybe a design to scale down our auto cannon for field use? It's going to be completely useless on ships...

Alternatively, it's not too late to develop personal shields. ( note: use gauntlets for flanking squads)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 07, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »

Well, studding, and maybe revising the skiff hull to house an oversized core crystal.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 07, 2017, 07:05:03 pm »

I'm in favor of just abandoning the skiffs honestly, they are so outclassed it's not even funny.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 07, 2017, 07:10:26 pm »

I think once we have the autocannon finished we should "downgrade" from the four seat skiff to a two or one seat fighter with a single cannon.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 07, 2017, 10:03:21 pm »

Skyskiffs can still act as meatshields for our corvettes, we can spend a revision for an attempt at making room for a Medium Core Crystal? I doubt it would come with our production line, though. We can probably spend a revision to expand our new cannon to be outfitted into our production line, however.

Anyways, I think we should expend three Dice into our aetheric cannons, so that we can finally get some new gear from our design dice, also to me it seems like personal shields from core crystals seems over-specialized for a singular role, a personal shroud shield only defends from aetheric attacks like their field cannon, and constructing our own field cannon would provide way better effective and lethal results for the marines. You need to only apply the logistics time, and personal shroud times are only effective if we can pin down where their aetheric attacks are coming from. Field cannons, like theirs, are much better. But for the sake of variety and including new tech, I'd like to develop a infantry aether gatling gun since it would involve the rotary technology we utilized in the Vanguard Cannon.

Quote from: Designs+Projects
Projects
2 normal and 1 rush dice; Vanguard Cannon, [1] Shadowclaw
Banking:
Bank 2 Dice: [1] Shadowclaw
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:17:48 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 08, 2017, 03:14:53 am »

Can we convert the Skiff production line into a Corvette production line? With how useless the skiffs have been I think that sacrificing them for more corvettes might be worth doing.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 08, 2017, 03:44:40 am »

Can we convert the Skiff production line into a Corvette production line? With how useless the skiffs have been I think that sacrificing them for more corvettes might be worth doing.
I agree entirely. It'll take a revision dice and it'll be a turn I think before construction of vipers starts. But our skiffs aren't even acting as ablative armour, they are beyond useless.

Now we have a whole list of things we need to get made such as:
  • Medium lift crystals
  • Better Trim crystals
  • Finished cannon
  • Spyglass
  • Scouting tactics
  • Inter ship Communication Method
  • Aether grenade/some method of reliably taking out their field gun
  • Our own field gun
  • Infantry equipment production line (we use so much of this stuff)
  • Batteries/Energy storage (for crossing the calm and other things)
  • Fighters
  • Carrier hull/something to give the fighters range enough to be useful (will need bigger production facilities and larger lift crystals)
  • A light cheap scout hull

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 08, 2017, 04:42:36 am »

Personally, I think a finished vanguard cannon is an excellent base for several of your bullet points:

We could miniaturise the Vanguard to make a squad-manned heavy weapon, similar to the Wreth gun, but even smaller. We don't need something that makes a corridor impassable whilst the air cools  down, we need something to reliably and regularly pump aether shots down range.

This miniaturised vanguard could then be used as the weapon on a fighter.

Regarding inter-ship comms: Morse-code based lights/mirrors would be fairly simple, however radio (whilst large and inefficient originally) can eventually be made small enough for marines to use, something a light based solution cannot achieve. I'd want to suggest some sort of radio emitting crystal, just like how actual Crystal Receivers work, but as Draig has mentioned, new forms of crystal will be expensive to develop.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 08, 2017, 05:35:36 am »

So, it seems the enemy ships are afraid of our ship's cannons due to the high rate of fire at first, what if we improved the cooling system so it could keep up that rate forever?

I am imagining some kind of tube system to catch the steam and cool it, maybe using aethersilk on the outside to help pull out heat and increase surface area, then the water drops into a catch tank.  When the main tank is emptied we open a valve and the cooled water drops back in through a pipe.

Say we do 10 shots in the first minute, then a minute to cool and refill, then another 10 shots in a minute.

This would be a great boon to the viper and could be incorporated in our new cannon also.

I call it a pressure-cooler.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 08, 2017, 06:16:29 am »

The vanguard cannon pumps water around the barrels before dumping it back in the canister. Eventually this water will get too hot to be of use, and the canister will get changed out for a fresh one. In theory, we could use your technique to quickly cool the "spent" water canisters, requiring a ship to carry less water, and thus reduce weight.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 08, 2017, 03:55:26 pm »

I suppose we should get to actually voting on stuff.

Projects
2 normal ; Vanguard Cannon, [1] Jerick
Banking:
Bank 3 Dice: [1] Jerick
Once again there is a tremendous number of things I'd like to spend revision dice on;
Infantry stealth and ambush tactics (last time I proposed this it was correctly pointed out it would be too radically different to all current tactics to just be a revision but with flanking tactics that is no longer the case)
Viper production pattern (I'd like to abandon skiffs and go all in on Vipers. Our skiffs are doing nothing)
Adaptive shroud management (Our success with the re-syncing tools may have opened up the door to some impressive technological advancements. This is a revision that attempts to expand on that and have our engineers do more with these tools than just re-syncing. Can we optimize the shroud? Can we alter its shape on the fly?)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 08, 2017, 04:10:33 pm »

Projects
3 normal ; Vanguard Cannon, [1] Kashyyk
Banking:
Bank 2 Dice: [2] Shadowclaw, Kashyyk

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 08, 2017, 04:11:46 pm »

I suppose we should get to actually voting on stuff.

Projects
Banking:

Remember that rush dice do not count against your dice pool, so Shadowclaw is (by inference) saving the same number of dice you are.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 08, 2017, 04:15:30 pm »

Oh right I forgot about that.
Projects
2 normal and 1 rush dice; Vanguard Cannon, [2] Shadowclaw, Jerick