Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150409 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #345 on: July 24, 2017, 06:14:47 am »

I'm going to assume the cannons can swivel to some extent already, even if they are on a classic naval gon carriage. Thus I think the risk imposed by a forward facing Viper is less than some are making it out to be.

Quote from: Vote Box
Leftmost Spire Name:
[4] Blackstone: Kashyyk, Taricus, Blueturtle, Jerick
Rightmost Spire Name:
[4] Glowcove: Kashyyk, Taricus, Blueturtle, Jerick

Plans:
[] Corvette Hull(3 dice) + Tri-Crystal(1 die + 4 crystal) + Hold 2 dice :
[1] Corvette Hull(3 dice) + Hold 3 dice :  Taricus
[2] Crystal Linings (3 dice) + Tri-Crystal (1 die + 4 crystal) + Infantry Tactics (unspecified, 1 die) + Hold 1 dice: Helmacon, Blueturtle
[4] Viper Class Corvette(3 dice) +Hold 3 dice: NAV, Jerick, Shadowclaw, Kashyyk

Designs:
Aetheric Hydraulic Repeater Cannon "Vanguard"
Crystal Linings (Longtrim for name maybe?)
Corvette Class Hull
Viper Class Corvette

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 24, 2017, 06:29:00 am »

Leftmost Spire Name:
[5] Blackstone: Kashyyk, Taricus, Blueturtle, Jerick, Helmacon
Rightmost Spire Name:
[1] Everlight: Helmacon

Plans Opening Design:
[2] Crystal Linings (3 dice) + Tri-Crystal (1 die + 4 crystal) + Infantry Tactics (unspecified, 1 die) + Hold 1 dice: Blueturtle
[4] Viper Class Corvette(3 dice) +Hold 3 dice: NAV, Jerick, Shadowclaw, Kashyyk, Helmacon

Designs:
Corvette Class Hull
Viper Class Corvette
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 24, 2017, 01:04:41 pm »

Leftmost Spire Name:
[6] Blackstone: Kashyyk, Taricus, Blueturtle, Jerick, Helmacon, Crazy
Rightmost Spire Name:
[2] Everlight: Helmacon, Crazy

Plans Opening Design:
[2] Crystal Linings (3 dice) + Tri-Crystal (1 die + 4 crystal) + Infantry Tactics (unspecified, 1 die) + Hold 1 dice: Blueturtle
[6] Viper Class Corvette(3 dice) +Hold 3 dice: NAV, Jerick, Shadowclaw, Kashyyk, Helmacon, Crazy

Designs:
Corvette Class Hull
Viper Class Corvette
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 24, 2017, 01:17:43 pm »

Viper Class Corvette
[Time: 5 Progress:5 Cost:4]

The design of the new combat vessel takes place at a furious pace following the losses of vessels at both the Three Captains and the Unfinished. The damage to enemy vessels was commendable, but there is much room for improvement- room which the Viper is designed to occupy.

At the moment she's little more than a stack of design documents and a timber frame, but she'll be something to see very soon.

Viper Class Corvette: 5/20 | 6 wood + 2 Ore, + 2 of either ore OR wood | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 3 dice left to spend.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:23 pm »

Awesome. Low Ore cost. Should be able to hammer a few dice into that next turn.

Anyway, let's do for them Crystal strips, or whatever we're calling them.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 24, 2017, 03:09:50 pm »

Awesome. Low Ore cost. Should be able to hammer a few dice into that next turn.

Anyway, let's do for them Crystal strips, or whatever we're calling them.

Again, I don't think Longtrim is going to be a revision. It's a totally new concept with totally new benefits.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 24, 2017, 03:13:44 pm »

Well, we have three dice, so we do have leeway in the amount of revisions to do.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 24, 2017, 03:27:45 pm »

I have so many suggestions for possible revisions I thought I'd throw them out there to see what you guys think as I'm unsure which I'd prefer myself.

Tactics
--------------------------------------------
Infantry Ambush Tactics
Marines forces don't focus on holding territory in the spire instead they focus on stealthily whittling down the enemy numbers by picking off isolated groups with quiet weapons or coordinated ambushes on larger groups of enemies. Marine forces are to be encouraged in this doctrine to take weapons and equipment of fallen enemies to supplement their own supplies.

Stealthy Insertion

A spire is extremely tall and it is almost impossible to patrol the area around one completely. This tactic instructs captains to fly low using the mists for cover in an effort to avoid detection. Once the transport has reached the spire it finds an unguarded access point and unloads the marines quietly and stealthily (preferably at night) before retreating from the spire.

Airborne Ambush manuvers
The airborne ambush takes what we learned in our initial fights and uses it to improve on the hit and run tactics. With slower ships than the enemy running is pointless and exposes our ships to fire. It is similar to the hit and run tactics but instead of running past the enemy this tactic calls for our ships to stop and engage. In addition a sub set of ships is dispatched to approch from below. These ships rise up to attack the enemy while they are focusing on the fast moving diving ships coming from above.

Gear
--------------------------------------------
Hand cranked cannon rotation mechinism
This revision rigs our cannons to be able to turn 360 degrees via a simple hand operated crank.

Aerial Maneuvering flaps (if we can't get longtrim as a revision here's an alternative to improve our manoeuvrability)
Also called Aerial rudders, this revision adds light but sturdy frames covered in fabric attached to our airships. These fabric covered frames can be rotated, locked or unlocked into their current rotation or folded up all from within the airship. These flaps can assist in turning and directing the airship. They also perform better the greater the airspeed of the airship. This means that an airship equipped with these flaps will be more manoeuvrable during a gravity assisted dive than during level flight.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 24, 2017, 03:32:04 pm »

I can back the ambush tactics, those would be potent with larger ships no matter the armament.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 24, 2017, 03:54:24 pm »

It's just changing the shape of our trim crystals. We built water cooling cannons from regular cannons on a revision, so I think this would be more than possible.

That being said, since we are all still learning the ropes on this new arms race variant, perhaps the gm would let us know if this is a revision or a design... Just this once?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:38 pm »

It's just changing the shape of our trim crystals. We built water cooling cannons from regular cannons on a revision, so I think this would be more than possible.

That being said, since we are all still learning the ropes on this new arms race variant, perhaps the gm would let us know if this is a revision or a design... Just this once?

I suppose I did do this for Wreth.

Honestly, I don't see this being much of either. Sure, small improvement to trim crystals are a perfectly feasible thing to do with a revision. However, the method is, no offense, rather unconnected to reality in any sense.

Crystals are crystalline. They are materials defined by a rigidly ordered structure that does not take kindly to any kind of shear force. Making a long, thin crystal begging to make it absurdly fragile. The hardness is immaterial, even if you could get diamond+ levels of hardness, a long thin crystal will shatter if there's any significant bending stress. The snapping of a long then crystal, or even fracturing, would compromise the entire structure.

In short, it's possible to do a limited version what you're trying to do with a revision- but I'm not sure you understand what you're asking of the materials involved. A design would be better for shaped crystal growth, but you still have to remember that, at the end of the day, these are fragile objects.

The idea, improving contact area to reduce mechanical stress, is sound. The implementation, however, leaves much to be desired- and you wouldn't be able to get terribly good control with a revision.

Do bear in mind that the 'water cooling' for your cannons is a passive feed system that consists of copper tubes slapped onto the sides of the barrel. There's no pumping, no circulation, and no moving parts of any kind.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 24, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »

Fair enough. Thanks for the answers.

In light of these revelations, I would like to propose an alternative to the long trim revision.

Crystal studded hulls
By using more numerous, smaller trim crystals, placed in a grid like pattern on the hull, we can substantially increase the contact area of trim crystals without compromising Crystal integrity. This allows for faster turns and maneuvers in the field.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 24, 2017, 04:57:49 pm »

Crystal studded hulls is exactly what I thought of too. So you can have a vote on that.

I'm also keen on gun swivels and the Hit and Stay tactic.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:12 pm »

+1 Gun Swivels
+1 Airborn Ambush Maneuvers
+1 Stealthy Insertion
(I would create the votebox but I'm on my phone and too lazy.)

I also think the aerial maneuvering flaps are a great idea. Not entirely sure whether it's revision or design though, since it's not based on any existing tech.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 24, 2017, 08:41:40 pm »

I guess I'll set up a rudimentary vote box here.

Quote from: Revisions
1- Gun Swivels: NAV
2- Airborn Ambush Maneuvers: NAV, Helmacon
1- Stealthy Insertion: NAV
2- Crystal Studded Hulls: Helmacon, Kashyyk
0- Bank Dice
0- Bank Dice
0- Bank Dice

Gun swivels would be useful on bigger ships, but we don't yet have any bigger ships. A skiff is so small that it is faster to just turn the skiff than turn the guns. Ill vote for it once we are building Vipers.

On that note, we are going to need to drop a design into our dockyards as well. We only have the one production line, so unless we want to have to scuttle all the remaining skiffs, we need to acquire another production line for the Viper.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 178