Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150302 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2017, 07:14:14 am »

Quote from:  Kasgyr's Glory: Rapid Spire Capture
3x Transport Barge (W/Small Core Crystal, Small Lift Crystal, 2 Trim Crystals & 1 ream of webbing) [Total cost: 21 wood, 12 ore, 30 crystal, 6 Silk]
(Remaining: 30 Silk, 10 Crystal, 28 Ore, 21 wood)

Belt spire assault:
3x Bronze armour (Squad leaders), 3x Crossbow (Per fireteam), 3x Aetheric Gauntlet (Per fireteam), 3x Swords, 1x Grapples

Local Demispire Pacification:
2x Swords
[Total Cost: 6 wood, 31 ore, 3 crystal,  0 silk]
(Remaining: 15 wood, 1 ore, 10 crystal,  30 silk)

This plan hinges on us deploying one fully loaded Barge to a belt spire,  and the other two deploying a single squad each to the local demispires. This way we guarantee the capture of more resources next turn and we deploy a unit of heavy hitters to one of the belt spires. Three barges should be plenty for the foreseeable future,  but it does prevent us from contesting both center spires.  On the plus side,  they have natives,  so won't be an instant win for Wreth.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2017, 07:44:23 am »

That plan stretches us thin and prevents us from securing our flanking demispires effectively. There's no guarantee that'll be enough to secure a part of one of the belt's spires.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:27 am »

Reasonable points,  I just felt having another option to a heavy assault on both belt spires would be good. Honestly your three suggestions are all very similar :p I think I prefer minor edit 1 most though.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2017, 08:11:48 am »

Trying to go for the belt spires would be folly at this stage with a lack of a more substantial combat vessel. If they have one any assault not close to more is likely to fail with their ships intercepting our transports.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2017, 09:21:58 am »

You are assuming that transition would go very smoothly. Anyways,

Again, I don't understand why we need a high functioning formal military at all, as it does not effect game play at all. If it's just that you want a formal military, well, that's a perfectly valid reason as well. I will be willing to cede you your formal military if you cede me a not-a-democracy. I don't have anything against democracy irl, but I feel like it's very out of place for the setting.

I don't really have any attachment to the feudal thing, so you can scratch that as well if you want.

personally, I think we should start with the push on the belt spires. Aggressive tactics in the opening game can only be good.

Question, how many chunks of territory are in a demi spire compared to a belt spire? Compared to a home spire?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2017, 09:52:22 am »

Aggressive tactics require us to be able to comfortably push without being cut off to be successful. We can save those until after we secure our closet demispires and are getting the resources from them; no sense in fighting for what we can take for free.

As for democracy being out of place, steampunk is based on the 1800s, when it was gaining traction as either full republics or some combination of it and monarchical systems ala prussian constitutionalism (Which is what I'm aiming for) or a constitutional monarchy. If anything, such a time period would mean that feudalism in any form, or guilds, would be anachronistic. Not that there isn't a nobility, it's just that the state no longer uses them as administrators so essentially they're just wealthy landowners with social privileges.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2017, 10:01:18 am »

Question, how many chunks of territory are in a demi spire compared to a belt spire? Compared to a home spire?

4=4=4

At best speed, you can conquer 1 chunk of territory per turn. No exceptions.

So, are there any votes around for that plan you've got up?

Clearly you are not a democracy, since you can't vote for shit.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2017, 10:07:11 am »

Nah, we're clearly a democracy because we're discussing things before we vote. And then somehow forgetting what we're voting on :P

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2017, 10:17:27 am »

Plan Taricus :
Plan Shadowclaw :
Plan Shadowclaw Redux :
Plan Kashyyk : [1] Kashyyk

Although the discussion is technically for a different phase, we ought to talk about what we want to do strategy-wise because our production should be based on that.

My plan is to start taking the local demispires immediately and assault one of the belt spires. As I understand it, the other three are all focused on taking the belt spires first?

Until that's made clear I'm going to prefer mine.

Also Draig, glad you chose not to call me Kathryn, she wouldn't be pleased otherwise :P

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2017, 10:20:56 am »

Plan Taricus : [1] Taricus
Plan Shadowclaw :
Plan Shadowclaw Redux :
Plan Kashyyk : [1] Kashyyk

My plan is solely focused on taking the other demi-spires first and giving them a reasonable garrison to prevent those Wreth bastards cutting off our expeditions into the belt. No advances into the belt at all until the home front is secure and we're getting the resources from it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:25:26 am by Taricus »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2017, 10:48:57 am »

Another option would be to assault both Belt Spires, so long as we keep a naval garrison there, they will have to play some crazy blockade running shenanigans to get to our home territories. We can then seize the local demispires without having to worry about foreign incursion. I feel that not deploying to at least one of the belt spires is effectively the same as ceding two thirds of the map to the enemy, which is tantamount to an immediate surrender.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2017, 10:54:13 am »

That's not particularly viable until we've seen their naval capabilities though. Furthermore the enemy has to also secure it's home spires, and the more spires we try to take in the turn the more transports and the less well equipped our marines become.

We need to pace ourselves and build up steadily; we can contest the middle spires later.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2017, 11:09:10 am »

What if we hit the demi spires with our transports, and move our skiffs (military fleet) to the belt spires. This let's us turtle our own stuff first, and keep the enemy from the possibility of landing at the belt themselves.
It's not like we would need the skiffs at the demi spires.

To make sure I'm on the same page with everyone else,

Belt spires = center spires
Demi spires = closest spires
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:11:17 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:49 am »

That depends if the enemy has the same idea to move their skiffs up to our spires to prevent our landings, and that happens to be possible. Draignean, do we have to secure a spire before moving onto the next one?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2017, 11:18:50 am »

That depends if the enemy has the same idea to move their skiffs up to our spires to prevent our landings, and that happens to be possible. Draignean, do we have to secure a spire before moving onto the next one?

No. Ships can move two jumps from their current location unless stopped by a hostile fleet.
Spires are also conquered one unit of territory at a time, so you will not see a resource increase for several years.

Demi spires = closest spires

They're all demi-spires, just as a point of background.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 178