Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150293 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2017, 08:08:01 pm »

Fair enough. In that case I'll just imagine him having such a moustache then, befitting the steampunk setting. Dragnean, you don't mind if I fluff the government structure and such of Spire Kasgyr do you?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »

Not at all, it's your fellow team members that have the greater say in that.

That being said, the military engineer's attitude of "Fly closer so I stab them with my crossbow" is canon. :P
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »

Well, technically that IS actually part of our military doctrine what with how close we end up getting to hit and run them :P That, and how they tend to horribly overdesign something in a rather artistic way. And eagles biting off parts of one's butt.

Anyway, to that end I was thinking of writing up Kasgyr as being a prussian-esque monarchy; there's elections but they rarely change anything, society is stratified and the voting power of everyone is widely different dependant on strata (Which contributes to elections not changing much) as well as it's sorta capitalist economy (Sorta, because there's more than a few outright state-owned enterprises acting in the economy).

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2017, 08:44:49 pm »

Uh guys, why did we research a medium to large core without a ship to mount it on...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:33 pm »

Well, we can't exactly make a ship without it. That being said we'll want to expand our dockyards when we can, and to get something like a frigate or such designed to be built on said shipyards. So next turn we'll want to work on that, and making our crystals more sturdy and less power hungry.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:58 pm »

We could always redesign the barge to hold a medium crystal and have less storage space, a strong assault craft would be nice.

That said, we need to outfit all out ships fully before we even start on the marines, we have enough tactics and a slightly better gun to at least hold them.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2017, 08:52:22 pm »

I like to believe that our government and military structure is in some form of oligarchy, democracy too easy and autocracy/dictatorship is too mainstream, maybe we're some of military junta based on our war culture? Nah if we going the monarchy route, than a military ingrained culture with an economical focus on capitalism and whatnot, seems good.

Anyways, I made a minute change to make one of our marines be provided with bronze armor to all squad leaders, we have so that squad is provided with more protection. resource acquisition towards ore providing spires and centralizing our transport on the Three-Captains and Burned Mountain.

Strategy-wise, Some sort of Belt strategy and priority seems like the best way to goal to hopefully delay the Wrethians and also for the acquisition for those previous resources. We send a transport and two marines units to both the Three-Captains and than either the Burned Mountain, or if we can't pass through the area than the Unfinished. It seems like the best route.

Quote from:  Kasgyr's Glory: Very Minutely Modified Small Unit Warfare
2x Transport Barge (W/Small Core Crystal, Small Lift Crystal, 2 Trim Crystals & 1 ream of webbing) [Total cost: 14 wood, 8 ore, 20 crystal, 4 Silk]
(32 Silk, 20 Crystal, 32 Ore, 28 wood)

5x Bronze Breastplate and Helm (Ranking Officer only), 1x Bronze Breastplate and Helm (Squad Leaders), 6x Witch Hunter Crossbows (Squad), 6x Bronze Cutlass (Full unit), 1x Aethersilk Vests (Everyone) [Total Cost: 32 Ore, 12 Wood, 16 Silk]

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2017, 08:56:05 pm »

The problem is that... well, we already have a monarch, so we kinda have to build around that. But yeah, definitely militarily ingrained culture. Anyway, strategy and deployment phase isn't up yet, though I'd suggest we secure our immediate demi-spires; we will need those resources and the quicker we can secure them the better.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:03:23 pm by Taricus »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:08 pm »

Maybe a half and half? One transport towards the Belt, primarily the Three-Captians with its delicious ore, and the Leftmost Spire. If we don't put an initial assault into the Belt Spires than the Wrethians will take it, and it's easier to take a unoccupied/filled with locals Spire, rather than taking over a Spire that is filled with the Wrethians. Also taking over the Burned Mountain Spire seems pretty tempting...

Also, maybe the Monarch is supported by a War Council with the highest of the military elite, with a highly stratified and collective culture.

Edit: Question @Draignean, you contribute that our Crossbow is pretty accurate or relatively accurate compared to the flint-lock rifle and pistol, but how good is the range on the weapon. Does it have superior range than the rifle or what's it's maximum range potential?, because maybe this weapon can outrange our enemies. Another question, how difficult would it be tech-wise to develop some sort of revolver?, whether or not utilizing aether energy, as it seems the revolver was developed some time after the initial gunpowder age of muskets to the bolt-action rifle.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:07:29 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »

My idea was the Royal family at the top of the pecking order, but while they technically have supreme power they don't interact much with the rest of society. Each division of society operates semi-independently, coordinated and regulated by a military counsel made of the highest level commanders of each military branch.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2017, 09:18:27 pm »

Hmm, I'd rather avoid an... overt military influence. Sure the state is militaristic, but the military pulls strings behind the scenes to get what it wants. So sorta like a democracy but the army and the royals typically put whoever the hell they want in charge of the apparatus of state and said persons answer to the monarch rather than to parliament or the people.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:06 pm »

What if we have guilds and noble families, with the noble families being appointed to run the guilds by the king, Roman style so they keep getting changes in leadership as they jockey for support.

All the peasants belong to either a guild (including the military and naval guilds) or work for a noble family. 

But the noble families HATE each other and unlike normal royal courts they do not intermarry, instead they marry into the richest/skillful/famous peasants.

A messy, uncoordinated, corrupt and very human system!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:51 pm »

I'd say we're more modern than guilds, and the royal family is a stable institution. Besides, the guilds wouldn't really work with the military culture being glorified; why be a trader/merchant when you could have more social mobility by joining the military?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2017, 09:50:55 pm »

I'd say we're more modern than guilds, and the royal family is a stable institution. Besides, the guilds wouldn't really work with the military culture being glorified; why be a trader/merchant when you could have more social mobility by joining the military?

Doesn't need to be literal trading guilds.  You work for the farming group because that is where you are assigned, if you were a better warrior you wouldn't be there, you would be recruited to one of the noble families.  Do your best to support the troops.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2017, 09:52:16 pm »

That's more of a caste system than guilds. We want some form of social mobility; bigger manpower base for recruitment and we can get more of it by offering the potential to climb up the social ladder.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 178