Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150662 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #705 on: August 09, 2017, 03:06:14 pm »

Let's add some vote boxes; anyways question @Draignean, could we replace 2 small slots for a medium slot, or would that require a revision?.

At least a revision. I mean, you don't really have a medium mount yet, which means you're basically relying on 'a really big small mount', without any additional infrastructure.

Hardpoints can't exactly be swapped around freely. You could manage something on a good revision, but 3:1 is a more likely conversion than 2:1.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 09, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »

Just so you know, our current PL can make 1/3 of a Viper per turn for at most 2 Vipers maximum. So the mass of Skiffs feels more useful right now until we get a larger protective force of Vipers sorted.

Also, the Vanguard has its own Full Barrel Sheath, so we don't need to grab it quite yet.

Also again, based on Discord coversation, we'll need to revise and refit the Viper Hull even with proper Medium Mounts to get the full effectiveness of the Vanguard, so trying to get it onto a Skiff might want to wait til later.

Quote from: Vote Revisions
Infantry Stealth+Ambush Tactics: (1) SMMI
Viper Production Pattern: Replace Skyskiff PL
Air Reserve Forces
Vanguard Pump Manufacturing Project: (2) Shadowclaw, SMMI
Cannon Water Sheath: (1) Shadowclaw
Medium Ship Weaponry Mount: (1) SMMI
Expanded Weapon Slots; Skyskiffs: (1) Shadowclaw
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 09, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »

Just so you know, our current PL can make 1/3 of a Viper per turn for at most 2 Vipers maximum.
Where did you get this from?

Quote from: Crystal Radio Pre-planning
Whilst a radio set is obviously a design action, we have no idea just how difficult such a project would be.
This revision is focused on providing us an estimate of the time and resource costs for such a project, without burning three dice to start it. If it happens to give us a bonus when we do create the project (since we've done some of the work already) then that would be nice, but it is not the focus of this action.

Quote from: Revisions
Air Reserve Forces
Vanguard Pump Manufacturing Project: (3) Shadowclaw, SMMI, Kashyyk
Medium Ship Weaponry Mount: (2) SMMI, Kashyyk
Crystal Radio preplanning: (1) Kashyyk
Also, I already started a vote box, which seems to have been missed.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 09, 2017, 04:25:37 pm »

It was either here or on Discord, Word of GM. The PL that's making Skiffs would do 1/3 a Viper per turn and maximizes at 2 Vipers.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 09, 2017, 04:28:30 pm »

It was either here or on Discord, Word of GM. The PL that's making Skiffs would do 1/3 a Viper per turn and maximizes at 2 Vipers.

That was the best case scenario for rolling up a viper production plan.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:39 pm »

Yeaaaah, lets not do that.  I would much rather just finish the viper production line using some dice and some resources.
Air Reserve Forces
Rush Viper Production line with 2 revision dice + invest resources (14c + 10o +10w + 4s + 15w + 15s) for two more dice: (1) Voidslayer

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 10, 2017, 01:09:51 am »

If we wanted to do that it should have been done during the project phase. We've missed our chance now.

An alternate suggestion to bring our skyskiffs back up to par is to create a new production pattern using trim webs instead of crystals. They'll be a lot more maneuverable and thus might actually survive a fight.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 10, 2017, 04:33:58 am »

I've been thinking; we need to at least take a peek at what's happening at the unfinished this turn. We have no idea what they're up to over there or what the situation is and not having intel on an entire flank of the battlefield makes me nervous. So I suggest;

Scouting Tactics
A ship using scouting tactics stays a considerable distance from other ships (enemy and friendly) and watches for movement in the skies. If something is detected then the ship uses a signal flasher or other means of communication (if we have one, if not we can use the primitive Wreth method of cannon fire) to signal any friendly ships in the area. If there are no friendly ships in the area the ship retreats to give it time to write a report and send it back to Kasgyr by pigeon.

Signal Flasher
The signal flasher is a simple, light based, Morse code signalling device.

I plan to send a skiff to the unfinished using scouting tactics in the strategy phase so we can find what they're up to. In addition the scouting tactic should help stop us from leaking any more enemy skiffs behind our lines. That's not something we can continue to ignore. Also while I like the idea of crystal radios I would rather a simple form of communication we can use now. A lot of our tactics would be enhanced by communications. We can and should put dice into developing crystal radios later though.
Infantry Stealth+Ambush Tactics: (2) SMMI, Jerick
Air Reserve Forces
Rush Viper Production line with 2 revision dice + invest resources (14c + 10o +10w + 4s + 15w + 15s) for two more dice: (1) Voidslayer  //Not a revision
Scouting Tactics(1) Jerick
Signal Flasher (1) Jerick

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 10, 2017, 04:46:08 am »

Re. Communications: I agree that having comms now would be good, but the moment we develop radio (which will eventually be usable by our marines as well) we will obsolete pretty much every other form of communications we have. I'd prefer to start radio now instead of developing a stopgap first, bit I can definitely appreciate the other side.

Air Reserve Forces
Crystal Radio Preplanning
Rush Viper Production line with 2 revision dice + invest resources (14c + 10o +10w + 4s + 15w + 15s) for two more dice: (1) Voidslayer  //Not a revision
Signal Flasher (1) Jerick
Add Trim Webs to SkySkiff production pattern: (1) Kashyyk

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:34 am »

I'm not sure they'll completely obsolete all other forms of communications (I mean signal lamps are still used today in real life navies). One big reason is that having a back up comn system is always a good idea if the first one has any trouble and we don't know what kind of bugs we'll get with the crystal radio. Failures might be common. Another big reason is cost; a mirror with a shutter on it will always be cheap and expendable where as a powerful crystal radio might be expensive for a place like Kasgyr to produce. Thirdly once they figure out how to intercept or at least detect our radio signals (which they will eventually) having a secondary method of communication that maintains radio silence would be useful. And finally building a communication device before going straight to the more complicated radio might give us some experience that will make creating the radio easier.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 10, 2017, 09:27:07 am »

Signal flashers would also help save lifeboats as a minor footnote.

Air Reserve Forces
Vanguard Pump Manufacturing Project: (4) Shadowclaw, SMMI, Kashyyk, NAV
Crystal Radio Preplanning
Signal Flasher (2) Jerick, NAV
Add Trim Webs to SkySkiff production pattern: (2) Kashyyk, NAV
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 10, 2017, 10:27:58 am »

Alright, we have a clear frontrunner followed by a four way tie for second place.

I will grant a bit of help and say that, for the flasher,  you don't have much to revise a signal flasher from, and morse code is not a revision tier item. It might be better to bundle both into a single design.
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 10, 2017, 10:35:52 am »

Quote from: Revisions - Second Round Vote (3 dice available)
Add Trim Webs to SkySkiff production pattern: (2) Kashyyk, NAV

Eliminated:
Signal Flasher (2) Jerick, NAV

Following GM comment, I've grouped all items with one vote (along with the Signal Flashers) to one side as "eliminated" from the running. Please redistribute your vote on to one of the remaining options.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 10, 2017, 10:51:51 am »

Quote from: Revisions - Second Round Vote (2) dice available)
Medium Ship Weaponry Mount: (3) SMMI, Kashyyk, Shadowclaw
Add Trim Webs to SkySkiff production pattern: (3) Kashyyk, NAV, Shadowclaw

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 10, 2017, 10:55:30 am »

You only have two dice to spend. Please only vote for two things.

DERRRP
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:02:26 am by Draignean »
---
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 178