Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150593 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #525 on: July 31, 2017, 08:47:26 am »

Or we could spend those dice now to ensure the time and resource costs are as low as possible. Much better to spend those dice now rather than throwing whole handfuls of dice and resources at the thing because we were unlucky and rolled a 1.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:11 am »

That's why we would be spending the Dice on a separate Production Line, VPL Beta. VPL Alpha gives us an idea of the resources and time that would be involved which would let us know how much to invest int VPL Beta to best hit the 50% initial progress mark to save resources. After Beta is finished, we can intermittently work on Alpha while getting other things operational.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:40 am »

That feels like a waste of time, dice and resources. Why not make VPL Alpha be as efficient as possible from the get go, rather than letting it be super expensive and time consuming?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:27 am »

So we can spend a Die on a Medium Core Crystal Revision to prevent desynch or allow for in field resynchronization. We could also do that later, but I'd like to do it ASAP. Otherwise there really isn't any reason not to use 1 additional die for the project.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 31, 2017, 10:02:28 am »

We've already revised the crystal for a reduced desync chance. We'll suffer less from not revising that further than we would from being handed a Production Line that costs 75 dice worth of effort and 10 resources a dice. Draig explicitly said that new production lines would be expensive after all.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 31, 2017, 11:33:02 am »

Over on the discord he also said that specialized productoin lines also cost less in Progress and Resources to set up, in exchange for greater cost to switch them to something else. As Vipers are likely to stick around til the end of the game, that doesn't seem like a negative.

He's also stated that things will have Progress Prices between 6 and 60 unless the thing is absurdly ridiculous, which these aren't, so it's likely that the VPLs will be between 20 and 40 Progress, which we'll be able to math out with the trail balloon attempt.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 31, 2017, 11:40:32 am »

Still,  the difference between 20 and 40 progress is six dice on average. Much better to spend one now to ensure we don't have to spend that many later. Even a cheap project will be expensive if it has a high progress threshold.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 31, 2017, 11:42:35 am »

Over on the discord he also said that specialized productoin lines also cost less in Progress and Resources to set up, in exchange for greater cost to switch them to something else. As Vipers are likely to stick around til the end of the game, that doesn't seem like a negative.

He's also stated that things will have Progress Prices between 6 and 60 unless the thing is absurdly ridiculous, which these aren't, so it's likely that the VPLs will be between 20 and 40 Progress, which we'll be able to math out with the trail balloon attempt.

You're an optimistic lad, arentcha?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 31, 2017, 12:10:44 pm »

If that ain't word of God saying it'll be high progress cost,  I don't know what is. Even more reason to spend extra dice to keep time and cost down.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 31, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »

Viper Production Line
[Time: 3 Progress: 1 Cost: 6]

Building up the infrastructure to support a dedicated construction yard for the production of Viper class vessels will be a relatively simple affair- the hard part is getting the funding agreed upon. It's a massive investment, both in terms of time and resources, to set aside the raw materials needed to outfit a single viper- and the idea that this entire process would be defrayed so as not to effect the current military budget...

Negotiations to even start the project are time consuming, and little progress is made this year, but a promise of funding is guaranteed after engineers promise to allow families that contribute sufficiently from their coffers to and designs, stories, and names to the hulls of the produced war ships.

Viper Production Line: 1/45 | 7C + 5O + 5W + 2S, +15 From any combination of any resource | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 2 dice left to spend.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 31, 2017, 02:19:42 pm »

Okay, so we now know that the range is between 28 and 56 for the potential necessary Progress. The crit on Cost is about perfect for our trail balloon version, as that'll mean that it won't cost as much to advance this. I'm thinking we bank both dice for initial Progress of VPL Beta next turn. Thoughts?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 31, 2017, 02:30:12 pm »

I think we should spend one die revising semaphore flags to hold us until we have time to design crystal radios.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:38 pm »

I think a dice ought to be spent on infantry tactics, since that will be the main engagement for the next few turns.

Flanking maneuvers would be nice since we bought grappling gear for our men.

Edit: would we even have the resources to put 6 die into the production line next year?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:01:52 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 31, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »

We would be start a new project, and Initial Progress, of which we can do up to Half of the entire Progress, is free of resources.

Also, I think the rule is that you can't revise "new" things, just alterations on existing things.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 31, 2017, 06:35:58 pm »

Simple things that don't take many resources to do are revision I believe. We can develop tactics as revisions I don't see why flag signalling would need three times as many dice to develop than any tactic. Besides, it's a revision on intership comunication.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 178