Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150221 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2595 on: August 11, 2018, 05:29:25 pm »

Quote from: votes
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 3 dice to start Aether Tunnel, 2 dice saved for revision : (2) Jerick, Rockeater
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 3 dice to start Topaz Coronation, 2 saved for revision : (1) Twinwolf
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 4 dice (reroll Cost) to start Topaz Coronation, 1 saved for revision : (2) Doomblade, Kashyyk

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 11, 2018, 06:49:15 pm »

2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 3 dice to start Aether Tunnel, 2 dice saved for revision : (1) Jerick, rockeater
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 3 dice to start Topaz Coronation, 2 saved for revision : (1) Twinwolf
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 4 dice (reroll Cost) to start Topaz Coronation, 1 saved for revision : (3) Doomblade, Kashyyk, NAV

I want to spend our revision die on comms officer training. It is NECESSARY for a large effective fleet.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 11, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »

2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 3 dice to start Aether Tunnel, 2 dice saved for revision : (1) Jerick
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 4 dice (reroll Cost) to start Topaz Coronation, 1 saved for revision : (4) Doomblade, Kashyyk, NAV, Rockeater
Really hope that will work
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:34:31 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 12, 2018, 03:05:21 am »

2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 3 dice to start Aether Tunnel, 2 dice saved for revision : (1) Jerick
2 dice to med lift (12c 2o), 4 dice (reroll Cost) to start Topaz Coronation, 1 saved for revision : (5) Doomblade, Kashyyk, NAV, Rockeater, Jerick
Guess we're going coronation then. I have no objections. Hopefully Draig won't be tightfisted with the topaz and screw us.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 12, 2018, 12:11:42 pm »

The Topaz Coronation should mention that out highest priority is a version of topaz that can be used in production lines. We would much rather have an inferior but unlimited type of crystal than higher or non-random topaz production that can't be used in the production lines. It also makes the most sense since not everywhere has the aether purity of the top of the spire, but everone can benefit at least a bit from Natalie's techniques and formula.

I am still hoping for unlimited full power topaz.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 13, 2018, 06:34:08 pm »

Medium Lift
[Progress: 11/10 (6, 4; One die refunded)]
The medium lift crystals, simple extensions that they are, are finalized and ready for production- with guilded workers ready to amortize the costs of mass production.

Topaz Coronation
[Time:3 Progress:3 Cost: 4 (4,2)]
It's a delicate thing for an Engineering department to persuade royalty, particularly when that persuasion is to tug free a royal secret by insinuating that the Princess needs to take the throne. Eventually, the promises of lavish galas and the desire for all of the engineering bureau to attend Princess Natalie's coronation so that she may be finally crowned- and in the process relegate the work she's been doing with the Topaz crystals to others.

After much wheedling, the Princess finally sends a letter to the head of the war engineers, elucidating her situation. She had hoped to ascend when the topaz crystals she helped create were perfected, to step up with success under her heels instead of the crumbling ash of a project left unfinished- but she is reluctantly forced to agree that the good of Kasgyre at large outweighs her personal presence on the project. Following with the letter is a series of packages, including not only generous samples of topaz crystals in various stages of growth, but extensive scribed notes and hundreds of trials.

It would appear that the issues with the Topaz at the moment are two-fold. One, it requires aetheric concentrations reachable only by the Princess's personal hanging gardens, flying high above the top of the Spire. Second, in order to grow crystals with clarity and structure capable of channeling the aetheric energy, the Princess made use of an unorthodox growth reagent- chloroauric acid, created by dissolving a considerable portion of the royal jewelry into aqua regia. The reagent does provide the needed effect, but the noble nature of gold causes the reaction's kinetics to be wildly unpredictable. Sometimes the crystals form quickly enough, but other times they can take years to form. It's the reason the princess has never been able to keep a steady supply of anything- she's never been able to predict when something will 'ripen' and has been forced to grow a bit of everything and hope for the best. 

In exchange for ascending to the throne and leaving her crystallography pursuits behind, the Princess proposes a bargain. If the engineering team can come up with a way at least guarantee a reasonable maturation rate for the crystals, she'll take the throne and continue to provide gold for the project straight from the imperial treasury. Needless to say, the engineer assent vigorously if it means getting to work on the Topaz crystals.

Topaz Coronation: 3/16 | 4C + 4O + 2S + 5 from COS | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 5 Cost: 1 Bugs: 2]
So, here's the thing. Our engineers were completely successful in tackling problem 1. Upping the Aetheric concentration to grow the crystals in was achieved by lacing the vats themselves with strands of silk, buffered from the growing crystals themselves by copper cradles. This refit can be applied to any vattery we have, and will allow any crystallographer with the requisite knowledge (and a supply of chloroauric acid) to create topaz crystals.

The issue is the time it takes. The engineers have managed to reduce the time required to being, at most, 4 years- but still not less than one. This does not please the princess, but if it's the best we can do, she's willing to accept it. We can attempt to hasten the process with additional reagents, but this also runs a steep risk of either degrading or completely ruining the crystal.

Prototype Bonus: Topaz insight: adds another +4 to the number of Topaz items generated per year.

Completion Bonus: Topaz Growing: Any crystal containing technology can be designated as Topaz at the time that it's paid for. When bought, each item rolls a hidden number between 1 and 4, which is the number of turns it takes for that crystal to mature. 1 Indicates it comes into supply on the following year, and so forth. Any item on the growing list can be hastened to decrease the number of turns it has left to grow by 1-4 turns, but this runs a 25% chance of destroying the crystal, and 50% chance of degrading it to 75% of its original power. Hastening costs half of the item's original crystal cost in ore.

You will still receive random ready made Topaz. Production lines are capable of producing Topaz vessels, however, it will take them 4 years of work for the ships produced to 100% topaz in their construction.

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
12(+12)/y Crystal, 25/125 Banked
12(+2)/y Ore, 13/95 banked
17/y Wood, 18/95 banked
10/y Silk, 16/55 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:56:04 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 13, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »

Quote from: Revision: Schola Communicae
The Royal Aeronautical Academy teaches many distinguished courses. Command, piloting, engineering, gunnery, navigation, etc.

For some reason Comm Officer training is taught in the Royal Marine Academy, despite being an aeronautical role. This strange arrangement worked fine when we had a small fleet, maybe even fostered cooperation between the forces. However the Marine Academy was not expanded to handle the demands of the new medium docks like the Aeronautical Academy was, so it can no longer afford to train enough comms officers for our ships. We should add comms officer training as a new official specialization in the aeronautic training course and stop having it compete with marine training and recruitment.

Otherwise we need to use literally all our marine training to train enough comms officers to equip our fleet, or go without communication completely.
Comms officers we can actually afford are 100% necessary to having a strong large fleet.

Our other revision should probably go towards fixing flaws of the widespread topaz. Or maybe a new skiff pattern with lance cannons.

Edit: Or putting two dice towards the comms officer one hecause it is actually necessary to our fleet, not just useful like a regular revision. Nah, better to put one die in and try again next turn if it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:53:05 pm by NAV »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 14, 2018, 08:36:39 am »

Quote from: Revision: Testing a variety of royal topaz additives
Royal Topaz's secret ingredient is Chlorauric acid, which causes both the extraordinary quality and the unpredictable growth times.

Maybe, if we add small amount of the chemically similar but even nobler and more valuable Chloroplatinic acid (made my dissolving Platinum in Aqua Regia), it will have a positive effect on the crystal matrix.

While we're at it we should also try using the Tetrahydrate and Trihydrate versions of Chlorauric acid separately. Maybe the different hydrate levels are the root cause of the variation in growth time?

Quicksilver and Copper Sulphate Crystals are also worth a try.

If none of those likely chemical suspects produce results, then lets just try throwing any chemical compount we can get our hands on into the vat and see what sticks.

I don't know if any of these will stabilize the growth time, reduce the cost or chance of error while hastening, create an even more powerful Super-Topaz, or something else entirely. Who knows what will happen until we try? But we're really really hoping it will stabilize the growth time.

Quote from: Revisions (2 dice)
Schola Communicae: (1) NAV
Chloroplatinic Acid: (1) NAV
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:26:39 pm by NAV »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 14, 2018, 09:09:55 am »

Expanding on NAV's idea, basically the same thing using silver instead of platinum. In exchange for being a cheaper option it risks making a lesser form rather than a greater form.

Quote from: Revision: Chloroargentic Acid
Royal Topaz's secret ingredient is Chlorauric acid, which causes both the extraordinary quality and the unpredictable growth times. Maybe, if we add small amount of the chemically similar but more common Chloroargentic acid (made my dissolving Silver in Aqua Regia), it will have a positive effect on the crystal matrix.

I don't know if it will stabilize the growth time, reduce the cost or chance of error while hastening, create some sort of lesser-Topaz, or something else entirely. Who knows what will happen until we try? But we're really really hoping it will stabilize the growth time.

Schola Communicae: (2) NAV, Kashyyk
Chloroargentic Acid: (1) Kashyyk

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:35 am »

One problem with that: There is no such thing as chloroargentic acid. Aqua Regia can't dissolve silver beams!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 14, 2018, 09:45:53 am »

Honestly, I thought they were all made up words to add flavour until I just googled it. I'd still like to try out some resources that aren't so ridiculously expensive though.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 14, 2018, 10:07:23 am »

I still think that chloroplatinic is our best bet since it is by far the closest chemically to chlorauric.

We should also try using the Trihydrate and Tetrahydrate versions of Chlorauric separately, since thats a variation within Clorauric and thus a likely explanation for the variation in growth time.

I can add a final sentence to my revision to just try random chemicals and see what sticks if neither of those work. Or any other chemicals that people think are likely leads.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:14:11 am by NAV »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 14, 2018, 11:31:24 am »

Hmm. Any chemists here who know a chemically similar substitute to chloroauric tat's cheaper?

Shiiit: Mercury may be viable.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 14, 2018, 11:51:04 am »

MercuryQuicksilver is worth a try.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 14, 2018, 07:10:58 pm »

I had an idea for a better revision:

Topaz Growth Charts:

Currently, the ability to determine how long a crystal will take to grow is lacking- we would simply have to throw chemicals, or seed extra crystals. However, the princess currently has a set of crystals in progress up in her tower-top vata, and that data set is invaluable.

By training the princess in the use of the synchronization tools used by our ship-board engineers, we can, without violating the sanctity of the royal vats, get the "heartbeat" measurements of the crystals growing at different rates. With this data, we can then predict when the seeds we plant now will grow to maturity by using this reference.

By seeding several crystals and culling all but those with the fastest growing heartbeat, we should be able to achieve faster topaz growth. In addition, the culled seed crystals may be able to be recycled for the reagent.

Schola Communicae: (3) NAV, Kashyyk, Doomblade
Chloroargentic Acid: (1) Kashyyk
Topaz Growth Chart: (1) Doomblade
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:49:47 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 178