Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150299 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:23 pm »

I think Shadowclaw's plan works best. I would still encourage people to vote for a rush on the  belt spires once we get to the planning phase.

Edit: I'm not editing a vote box again,  just consider me as a plus one voidslayers plan.

Err, do you mean Voidslayer or Shadowclaw? I am confused.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2017, 08:05:47 pm »

Building off of NAVs plan ( which I am willing to vote for, pending these changes)

So, imo 2 of the squads (one for each transport) ought to have gauntlets instead of crossbows for the fire teams. Gauntlets only cost 1 ore 1 crystal for a fire team.  This gives us 4 ore and 4 wood back.  We use these additional resources to swap one units cutlass for every man to crossbow for every man.
That is a good idea. I'll edit it as soon as I can.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2017, 10:15:09 pm »

Okay, so, we have 2 for NAV and 2 for Shadowclaw.

I'll flip a coin later and get your build order settled if no one tips things.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:54 am »

The Dice Select: NAV

So, you have...

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Now, Deployment and selection of Tactics
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:24:52 am by Draignean »
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2017, 01:14:51 am »

I suggest the following:
1 barge with 3 marine units and the following equipment:
1x Bronze armour, 3x Aethersilk vest, 3x Crossbow, 3x Cutlass
Goes to The unfinished along with 5x skiffs

1 barge with 3 make units and the rest if the equipment goes to the 3 captains with 5x skiffs.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2017, 01:16:06 am »

Err... Draig?
Sorry to be a bother, but my vote for NAVs plan was contingent upon certin changes. Changes he had agreed to, but had not yet edited in. I think that leaves the shadowclaw plan with more votes...
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2017, 01:19:46 am »

Double belt rush is bad idea.

Both transports with similarly equipped marines go to each of our closest unclaimed spires.

Skiffs with an even 5/5 split go to each belt spire.

Skiffs use ambush tactics for the first engagement, but then engage normally once the cannons have re cooled.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2017, 01:21:53 am »

Err... Draig?
Sorry to be a bother, but my vote for NAVs plan was contingent upon certin changes. Changes he had agreed to, but had not yet edited in. I think that leaves the shadowclaw plan with more votes...

Goddamnit...

Fine, fine, fine.

I'll take my three brain cells and go move heaven and earth... :P

EDIT: Done. I think.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:25:07 am by Draignean »
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2017, 01:27:13 am »

If we don't intend to fight Wreth/native defenders,  why did we buy any equipment at all for the Marines?  We need nothing more than a single Marine unit and their fists to take a local demispire after all.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2017, 01:38:40 am »

So that we won't have to equip them next time? Also, I'm pretty sure it was said that the demi spires have native resistance.

Regardless, we should secure our local spires first. If we push the belt spires and they do the same, it may well be that in 4 years we still have no new resource income.

If people are dead set on pushing the belt, I would suggest we center on a single target (3 captions) and take one of the close spires as back up.

Edit: tysm Draig!! I owe you one pedantic favor.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:40:36 am by helmacon »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2017, 01:48:29 am »

Draig, could we confirmation one way it the other about native resistance at local vs belt demispires?

Edit: Really this is a bit of a prisoner's dilemma. If both sides take the local spires first, then we're on an even footing,  if one side goes for the belt spires and the other doesn't,  they've secured access to two thirds of the map and will win. If both sides rush the belt spires we both get no extra resources. Either way, I feel it is better to deny the enemy the belt spires than risk letting them be taken unopposed.  Of we discover they are on the belt spires we will have to either give them up for lost or move our troops from the local spires to the belt spires, which would have been exactly the same as if we'd just gone straight there,  but we'd have wasted an entire turn. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:06:12 am by Kashyyk »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2017, 02:20:53 am »

Except we can move a whole other full load of marines there next year. We will have another 11 squads.

Also, if they rush the belt, they won't have 3/4 of the map, because then they don't won't have their local spires. If they keep focusing on the belt and ignore the local spires, we could conceivably leap frog the belt and land on their doorstep next turn.

Also, give me a sec and I'll dig up that quote on native spire resistance.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2017, 02:49:56 am »

We'll have plenty of marines alright, but we won't have the resources to kit them out completely.

They will however have unimpeded access to 3/4 of the map. If they land on the belt spires this turn they could deposit bare bones troops on their local spires and then reinforce the belt and start taking the central belt spires.  Meanwhile we'd have to fight our way past them to oppose their takeovers.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2017, 05:01:18 am »

Helmacon's plan is a strategy, we're voting for production.
Sorry I've been rather distracted lately  :-[

We'll have plenty of marines alright, but we won't have the resources to kit them out completely.

They will however have unimpeded access to 3/4 of the map. If they land on the belt spires this turn they could deposit bare bones troops on their local spires and then reinforce the belt and start taking the central belt spires.  Meanwhile we'd have to fight our way past them to oppose their takeovers.
Which is why we should send skyskiffs to make landings on the belt spires difficult. If we can intercept them before they land we can devote our troops to our local spires without worry. Besides, when it comes to map control and the ability to move past the belt spires what troops they have landed are irrelevant, it's what ships they have stationed there that will determine if we can skip past them into their local spires or not. Now them having total control of the belt spires might give them an advantage as they can use them to repair and rearm though I don't expect it to be too much of an advantage. So in other words control of the Belt spires and 3/4 map access will not be decided by infantry but by the airbattle around the belt.

Also keep in mind the fastest a spire can possibly be conquered is in four full turns. If they land on belt spires we have four full turns to land our own troops to contest. Since the belt is easier for us to reach than their local spires we can contest it much easier than their local spires. In other-words the battle for each side's local spires is likely going to resolve quickly but the belt spires will be fought over for most of the war giving benefit to neither side untill someone eventually wins. Hence a belt rush will provide no benefit for us and delay us recieving materials from our local spires by a turn or two.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2017, 05:43:35 am »

Here's the thing, if each transport has four movement points, than we only need one transport for our local Spires. What is the other Spire going to do?, just remain vacant because we can't handle supporting one Belt Spire. No matter how you look, an advance to the Belt Spire is going to be made, my strategy just minimizes our troops from thinning ourselves too much. We advance to the Three Captains, since it provides the most Ore which we are in desperate supply, and the other transport takes over the local Spires.

Quote from: Resource Expansion and Loss Mitigation
-1x Transport A + 10 SkySkiff Class go to the Three Captains, with primary priority on Hit and Run, with maybe one ship on the other Tactics
-Transport A Is equipped with three marines units 1 2 3
Marine Unit 1: Bronze Armor (Squad Leader), Crossbows (Full Squad), Aethersilk Vests, Bronze Cutlass
Marine Unit 2: Bronze Armor (Squad Leader), Crossbows (Fire Team), Aethersilk Vests, Bronze Cutlass, Aether Gauntlets
Marine Unit 3: Crossbows (Fire Team), Aethersilk Vests, Bronze Cutlass, Aether Gauntlets

-1x Transport pickups Marine Unit 4 5 6
Marine Unit 4: Bronze Cutlass, Aethersilk Vests
Marine Unit 5: Crossbow (Fire Team), Aethersilk Vests
Marine Unit 6: Bronze Cutlass, Aethersilk Vests

Edit: Transport sends Marine Unit 4+5 into Leftmost Spire since Ore, and moves to the Rightmost-Spire and waits for dropoff

Note: Local Spires do not need protection from Skyskiffs as the first attack since I really doubt our opponent is going to try and invade our Spires, Second sending out our entire armada into the Belt, means practically that our Transport won't be destroyed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:23:36 am by Shadowclaw777 »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 178