Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150628 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1395 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:33 am »

We can make it cheaper later. For now, just pay the cost for 1.

We need a revision for a covered advance tactic.

We need a revision to combine ambush and coordinate fire.

And we need a revision for the grenade bolts.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 02, 2017, 01:12:26 pm »

I'd still prefer to make it cheaper now.

I can see the benefit to a covered advance, but why the other tactic?

I'm still not sold on grenade bolts.  I don't think it's something we're going to get anything decent out of without a short design.

Edit: curse you autocorrect
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:31:03 pm by Kashyyk »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 02, 2017, 02:24:13 pm »

Ah, I forgot to put the prototype in your Junk-In-The-Trunk spoiler. Fixing in a minute.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 02, 2017, 02:36:45 pm »

Because while individually they are both exceptionally good aerial tactics, together they would be ridiculously effective. Imagine eliminating one of those superskiffs during an opening barrage. Imagine a vastly outnumbered force ambushing and eliminating a transport from the  middle of their fleet before being blown to bits.

Also, if we use the prototype we don't need to buy one at all. We can put off cost reduction for a turn.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 02, 2017, 03:03:21 pm »

We need more than one mobile cover because we have multiple squads to protect from multiple cannons. Cheapening it should also make it lighter and more mobile and effective.

We need to have a dedicated covered advance tactic to use it effectively, at least on the offensive. Mainly to protect our marines from the idiot ball.

I fully support coordinated fire+ambush tactics revison for the reasons you said. It might be reaching the upper limit of what tactics we can have with our current command structure.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 02, 2017, 03:10:43 pm »

Unless we plan on filling a TU with grenades or something, I'd like to buy a second cover platform, otherwise the space will go wasted.

Also, have another revision:

Quote from: Lumin Grenades
Proposed before as a design, due to our experience with Aether Grenades, Lumin Grenades should be a simple development. By switching the weapon crystal for a Lumin crystal, the grenades is given an entirely new role in spite warfare. They now become reusable weapons, with no collateral damage. Thus a Lumin grenade can be used in places where aether grenades are unusable, such as in close proximity to allied marines and materiel. It also allows for immediate follow up by assault marines as the air will not be superheated in the detonation. Finally it allows for the option of capturing hostile marines and materiel for our own benefit.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 03, 2017, 12:44:22 pm »

Quote from: Revisions (3 dice)
Aether Cables:
Mobile Cover - Light: [1] NAV
Covered Advance (still needs writeup): [1] NAV
Combine Ambush and Coordinated Fire: [1] NAV
Grenade Bolts:
Lumin Grenades:
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 03, 2017, 01:11:19 pm »

Aether Cables:
Mobile Cover - Light: [1] NAV
Covered Advance (still needs writeup): [2] NAV, helmacon
Combine Ambush and Coordinated Fire: [2] NAV, helmacon
Grenade Bolts: [1] helmacon
Lumin Grenades:

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 03, 2017, 01:44:39 pm »

Quote from: Covered Advance
Designated aassault teams will advance on enemy fortified positions, focusing on maibtaing cover as much as possible. When the opportunity arises individuals may pop up from behind cover to fire on targets before getting back into cover. Designated overwatch teams will maintain a covered position behind the assault teams and focus on suppressing hostile forces as the assault teams advance. This tactic will synergise well with mobile cover platforms and grenades for assault teams, as well as rapid and precision fire weapons for overwatch teams.

Aether Cables:
Mobile Cover - Light: [2] NAV, Kashyyk
Covered Advance: [3] NAV, helmacon, Kashyyk
Combine Ambush and Coordinated Fire: [2] NAV, helmacon
Grenade Bolts: [1] helmacon
Lumin Grenades: [1] Kashyyk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:37:01 pm by Kashyyk »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 03, 2017, 02:27:41 pm »

Aether Cables:
Mobile Cover - Light: [2] NAV, Kashyyk
Covered Advance: [4] NAV, helmacon, Kashyyk, Talion
Combine Ambush and Coordinated Fire: [3] NAV, helmacon, Talion
Grenade Bolts: [2] helmacon, Talion
Lumin Grenades: [1] Kashyyk

Is it possible to modify Covered Advance to be useful even without mobile cover? With one squad advancing while another provides covering fire.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:56 pm »

Yeah sure, gimme a sec.

Edit: Done
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:57:28 pm by Kashyyk »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 03, 2017, 03:10:11 pm »

Covered Advance
Efficacy: 1
It turns out that building off of the defensive fire tactic is much more difficult than previously envisioned, largely due to breakdowns of coordination and extremely poor synchronization between covering forces. In mock combat situations, the initial strategy playbook performs extremely poorly. Mobile cover shrouds went up in time less than 1 time in four. Advance teams were often allowed to get cut off by flanking parties, grenades were accidentally used to flush friendlies, and sharpshooters managed to end up in blind corners.

While the experiment does a great deal to convince brass that the men need better training and a stronger command structure, it fails to generate anything useful in the field- being basically inferior to Defensive Fire.

Ambush+Coordinated Fire
Efficacy: 4-1
Though both tactics are somewhat lessened in efficacy as a result, it is possible to mostly get captains to hold the two thoughts in their head at the same time. Granted, there should be overwatch ships just on CF for it to work optimally, but ships on ambush runs will now pay attention to calls and signals given by other ships on coordinated fire. Without improvements to command structures and officer quality/delineation, the represents the most complex tactic they can hold in their tiny minds.

Ambush+Coordinated Fire: A recopy of the ambush tactic, interlocked with coordinated fire. Ships running ambushes will now be aware of, and attempt to enforce, patterns and weakness called out by watching coordinated fire ships. Loses something in terms of communication efficacy and stealth assault capability, but still effective.

Grenade Bolts
Efficacy: 1
After the sixth engineer is sent to the infirmary to have bits of shrapnel poked out of his face, enthusiasm for a quick-fix begins to wane significantly. The grenades are heavy, which causes issues with range, and damage to the quarrel during firing acceleration. Reinforcing the quarrel increases weight further and also transfers more energy to the grenade- occasionally detonating it prematurely. Once more, no reasonable modification to the grenades is presented that allows them to function as effective weapons. Engineers suggest it might be better to work on a new form of crossbow, or other device, specifically designed to fire larger ordinance- a suggestion likely borne out of a healthy concern for their own safety.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13(+10)/y Crystal, 17/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 11/85 banked
19/y Wood, 74/95 banked
10/y Silk, 18/50 banked

It is now the production, deployment, and tactics phase.

Spoiler: Royal Topaz Production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:34:59 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 03, 2017, 03:16:16 pm »

Royal Topaz?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 03, 2017, 05:28:19 pm »

That went less well then we'd hoped. I suppose gambler's fallacy dictates that we needed a crappy round of dice eventually though.

Anyway, before we start designing plans and production lists, are we reinforcing TC this year or next year? I would personally like to wait until next year, so that we can field a larger navy.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 03, 2017, 05:39:34 pm »

My personal opinion is that one of those revisions should of been on spent on making the Topaz Skyskiff less resource intensive so we can have superior Skiffs and also have that royal topaz, maybe we should start in a project that let's us have two production patterns for or shipyards, maybe a time for Military-Industry DocksTM. That seems like a logical decision for me.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 178