Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150757 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1110 on: September 09, 2017, 06:39:32 am »

That was brutal. Resources wise, I suspect we're down in the air but up on the ground. If we take many more Marine casualties though, we'll start losing some seriously expensive equipment.

After reading that though, I'm even more keen on getting our Vanguard onto the front lines. When we're running hot with the Kettlegun we're firing once every thirty seconds.The Vanguard will allow us to fire 10 times in thirty seconds. We could literally hose the sky with shots and use volume to catch the maneuverable enemies and deal damage whilst they cycle their shrouds.

Thus I'm all for revising the Vanguard's mount again, even if it ends up being a dedicated Viper mod. But that isn't this phase.

We are once again starving for crystal and ore.  This I suggest we use the royal bonus to design a resource acquisition tech. In the name of balance it would have to cost a lot, so using this to reduce that cost is the most efficient way to do it. I'd then be tempted to throw two dice at time and be even more efficient. But which do we need more?
I'm no longer sure Vanguard is enough of an upgrade in fire power. They've upgraded their shrouds significantly, they are manoeuvrable, have lots of potent skiffs and it doesn't compare well to that shroud ignoring Inferno cannon of theirs. As to the point about resources remember that we're on track to claim TC with its excellent source of ore and if we can figure out why the Wreth have abandoned the unfinished then we can have an excellent source of crystal. We don't yet know how minor or major infrastructure projects are in terms of bonuses. What I can tell you is it will take a lot of progress dice and a lot of COWS we can't spare (gotta have money to make money) even with the Queens blessing. If we are to benefit from taking TC we must be able to push them back in the sky and an infarsturtre project will be much too late to effect that. However, the guaranteed 6 lets us get a little ambitious with possible solutions to the enemy airpower.

Zarburn Rockets
Zarburn rockets are powerful rockets propelled by trim crystals. The detonation fuse is a timer that can be set before launch. The warhead is a cluster munition, an explosive charge separates out and propels out a swarm of aether grenade like bomblets that in turn explode filling the sky with hot shrapnel. The Rockets, in theory, have no maximum range being self-propelled. The launcher is fairly simple, rotatable and designed for a small mount. Reloading it is not the easiest thing in the world but it is pretty simple. The range is estimated, the fuse is set taking the range into consideration and the rocket is lifted into the launcher. This is a weapon that ignores enemy shrouds and is extremely difficult to dodge. It should be capable of wiping out multiple enemy skiffs in one go while inflicting heavy damage on larger craft.

(Zarburn name possibly subject to change)

So why deploy the 6 here? Well with 6 efficency this weapon could well be able to chew through enemy fleets and the bonus to cost is something a weapon like this desperately needs. I am considering proposing revising the production line skiffs to use this if we make it but I'm concerned about the lack of short range capability that would leave them overall.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 09, 2017, 07:04:30 am »

I diagree. Even assuming it costs three light mounts to equal one medium mount, the Vanguard still has the same opening damage output as three Kettleguns, but due to the rapid fire ability the gunner would be able to re-aim based on previous shots. After those kettleguns overheat the Vanguard is still firing at the rate of three cold Kettleguns.

Minutes pass as the battle continues, skiffs dying one by one, and it becomes readily evident that Wreth really isn't terribly advanced with their new gun. While her rising and falling maneuvers make her difficult to target (particularly when captains focus their efforts on the nearest vessels), it takes her at least five minutes to reload her forward gun.

This statement, along with the fact she fired at least three times, lead me to assume the battle took at least ten minutes and probably longer. That means there were at least nine minutes of hot firing from our kettleguns. Imagine how differently that battle would have been if we'd been using Vanguards instead. Even at a 3-1 ratio, or even a 4 or 5 to 1, we would still have been coming out ahead in damage output.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 09, 2017, 07:37:35 am »

Holy shit we're running out of crystal fast. I'm with Kashyyk, we need to upgrade our output of it, and fast.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 09, 2017, 07:44:31 am »

As the battles have been resulted in multiple time and the only thing we are superior to them crystal-wise is our current generation of Medium Core Crystals, the Wrethians must have established some form of passive improvement to their own crystals that make their own crystals a great deal stronger, enough that it makes us not possible to even out-maneuver them straight velocity-wise, only in acceleration. We need a development into better crystals, and than save that bonus to Cost for a future implementation of a better Ore Extraction Method, as we are always desperate need of Ore.

Thermodynamic Aetheric Resonator Purification Process (TARPP): Improvement into the general crystals we utilize were eventually going to be made to compete against the on average superior crystals of our enemies. By utilizing the method of a heat-processor and "cooking" and smelting crystals; we can remove the natural and minerals that make the crystal impure and affect its efficacy. Resonators are the next step after the initial process of smelting the crystal, and are utilized as a secondary layer in purification process by a method of oscillating the crystals frequencies in such a manner of refinement and accuracy that the crystals are without natural rust and other impediments that affect crystals to have subpar efficacy. Crystals that have been fine-tuned by methods will contain less impurities, cracks, and other such flaws that make the crystal perform more effectively.
Expectations if done properly could come into some massive innovation to our crystals that could have a minor bonus to all crystals of about 20% percent.

I diagree. Even assuming it costs three light mounts to equal one medium mount, the Vanguard still has the same opening damage output as three Kettleguns, but due to the rapid fire ability the gunner would be able to re-aim based on previous shots. After those kettleguns overheat the Vanguard is still firing at the rate of three cold Kettleguns.

Minutes pass as the battle continues, skiffs dying one by one, and it becomes readily evident that Wreth really isn't terribly advanced with their new gun. While her rising and falling maneuvers make her difficult to target (particularly when captains focus their efforts on the nearest vessels), it takes her at least five minutes to reload her forward gun.

This statement, along with the fact she fired at least three times, lead me to assume the battle took at least ten minutes and probably longer. That means there were at least nine minutes of hot firing from our kettleguns. Imagine how differently that battle would have been if we'd been using Vanguards instead. Even at a 3-1 ratio, or even a 4 or 5 to 1, we would still have been coming out ahead in damage output.

The Vanguard is the answer to countering their ships, as it has a lot of ROF and more importantly a lot of Sustained ROF. Our current Vipers lost because the LAC fires so goddamn slow and their Cannon has at least double the power of any of our cannons. We need to device a better mount for Ore and Crystal extraction if we want to field more of these powerful cannons, and other powerful and ridiculously expensive designs we're going to afford.

Quote from: Plan Votes
Current Projects:
?

New Projects:
Trim Cannons (1): BBBence111
Zarburn Rockets (1): Jerick
TARRP, Passive Bonus to Crystals (1): Shadowclaw
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:57:14 am by Shadowclaw777 »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 09, 2017, 08:20:28 am »

Chimera-class light destroyer

The Vanguard requires a medium slot, and modifying small slots is a rather bad idea. Also, the Viper doesn't have the turning capability to hit smaller, faster, targets. However, with the proper mount, the Vanguard would be devastating, as rapid-fire is what we need to counter these souped-up skiffs.

The solution is to construct a new hull, about midsize between a Skyskiff and Viper, with a medium crystal, trim webs, and a single medium slot to hold a Vanguard. Maneuvers like a Skyskiff, shroud like a Viper's, shoots like nothing else. Perfect for taking down fleets of enemy Skiffs.

What do you think?

So you have napalm? How cute. We have armor.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 09, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »

Our vipers are actually about as maneuverable as their souped up sky-skiffs. The design itself is quite good, and trim webs make it even better. Our main flaw is that our crystals are crap in comparison.

So, lets solve that problem by drowning them in low quality crystal!

The "Emperor Tobiasz Initiative"
Ideally, crystals would be produced over generations, allowing them to mature like fine wines under the tender care of their overseers. The current war unfortunately prevents this. Caustic solutions, chemical mixtures and complex machinery are both expensive and poor imitations of our once fine products. With the help of the crown, we are able to invest heavily in the crystal industry, developing cheaper crystal vats, efficient temperature management and economic growth mediums to increase crystal output like never before seen in history. Each crystal may still be filled with flaws, but the sheer volume we will be able to produce will help to mitigate this somewhat.

I'd also suggest putting two dice into Time for this one as well, to ensure we get the benefit as quickly and cheaply as humanly possible.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 09, 2017, 12:07:52 pm »

IT has my support, though I'll laugh if the mass production of those crystals somehow makes them better! :P

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 09, 2017, 12:23:23 pm »

If Draig feels like blessing us with more and better crystals, I won't complain.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 09, 2017, 01:48:44 pm »

Jerick, the bonus applies only to cost, not to efficiency.

Design: Thaddeus Class Crystal
Traditionally, Crystal is grown in vats deep within the spire. The dirty environment and limited aetheric influences means that even the most vigilant farmer will end up with impurities in his crystals. Thaddeus Class crystals take a new approach. They are grown on the outside of the spire on ledges, or at the very top above the royal chambers. The crystals produced here under much purer atheric influence are of unequivocally high quality. While this would normally be expensive due to the specialized equipment required to tend Crystal vats on the edges of cliffs, the crown has promised funding and subsidies to alleviate any additional costs. It us rumored that the Crystal grown atop the royal chambers at the height of the spire are even tended by the princess herself, in memory of her late father. Such crystals are set to turn the tide of the war.

(4 dice. Extra dice to efficiency. Auto 6 & +2 on the costs)

People keep saying that they have better quality Crystal than us, and I am inclined to believe them. We should throw everything we have into this design, because it will effect everything we have across the board, and forever down the line. I feel like quality is the most important thing here, and if we roll well, we would probably get extra production too. This is basically an upgrade to everything at once, and it is long overdue. I honestly wouldn't even be opposed to adding an additional dice for bugs.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 09, 2017, 01:53:32 pm »

You can't force an extra dice to efficacy, we only get to apply a bonus of 6 cost to a project. And +2 Cost to the prototype. Their is no way we can affect efficacy

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 09, 2017, 01:59:06 pm »

We can roll extra dice though? That's not a bonus or anything, that's just how the game works. We commit an extra dice to an aspect, the gm rolls both and takes the higher value. (Except time, which is cumulative)

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 09, 2017, 02:01:44 pm »

+1 to Helmacon's plan.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 09, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »

Alright Helmacon, I'll back your plan despite your dissidence about the flag colours :P

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 09, 2017, 02:07:09 pm »

We can roll extra dice though? That's not a bonus or anything, that's just how the game works. We commit an extra dice to an aspect, the gm rolls both and takes the higher value. (Except time, which is cumulative)

Does this work?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 09, 2017, 02:08:49 pm »

Votes for my plan? I guess I ought to make a vote box, huh?

Quote from: Vote box

4 dice : Thaddeus Class Crystal: + event bonus + extra dice to efficiency: [3]: BBBence1111, helmacon, Taricus

@ Taricus
I may not like the flag, but I do like that bonus, so I guess I got to hand it to you guys on that one. heh.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 178