Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150785 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1065 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:51 am »

That's what those grenades we designed the other turn are for. We've got our transport this turn, so we can cram her full of grenades and use them to blast our way through their fortifications.

If I understand Draig's tech description correctly, 4 grenades cost one equipment space (as we can equip 1 marine with 4 grenades, or 1 crossbow, or one vest, etc), and there are 32 equipment slots per space unit. Thus for 12c, 12o and 1.5 space we can provide enough grenades for all our active squads. We might as well add another set for 4c, 4o and fill the remaining space with additional marine reserves with swords, for a total cost of 16c, 18o. This will give us an amazing amount of damage output for pressing the assault, but we won't be able to do this and spend three dice on Vertical Envelopment.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:19 am »

Quote from: Plan Votes
[3] Vanguard Cannon (3 dice, 6c, 6o) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, NAV, Helmacon
[2] Vertical Envelopment (3 dice, 9c, 9o, 15w, 15s) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 2 dice: Taricus, Jerrick
[1] Vertical Envelopment (1 dice, 1 rush, 3c, 3o, 5w, 5s) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 4 dice: Kashyyk

New Projects:
None...

Flags
[] Option 1:
[2] Option 2: Kashyyk, helmacon
[2] Option 3: Kashyyk, NAV
[] Option 4:
[] Option 5:

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 05, 2017, 10:36:59 am »

[4] Vanguard Cannon (3 dice, 6c, 6o) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, NAV, Helmacon, Kashyyk
[2] Vertical Envelopment (3 dice, 9c, 9o, 15w, 15s) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 2 dice: Taricus, Jerrick
[] Vertical Envelopment (1 dice, 1 rush, 3c, 3o, 5w, 5s) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 4 dice:

New Projects:
None...

Flags
[] Option 1:
[2] Option 2: Kashyyk, helmacon
[] Option 4:
[] Option 5:

So as to avoid ties.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:26 am »

[4] Vanguard Cannon (3 dice, 6c, 6o) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, NAV, Helmacon, Kashyyk
[2] Vertical Envelopment (3 dice, 9c, 9o, 9w, 21s) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2s) + bank 2 dice: Taricus, Jerrick
[] Vertical Envelopment (1 dice, 1 rush, 3c, 3o, 5w, 5s) + Signal Flashers (1 die, 2w) + bank 4 dice:

New Projects:
None...

Flags
[] Option 1:
[3] Option 2: Kashyyk, helmacon, Taricus
[] Option 4:
[] Option 5:

We're not even going to be able to use the vanguard cannons. We're better off putting that on the backburner until next turn since we can revise the viper to use them this turn. Also, if we have the wood we should start building hulls with it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:44 pm »

Vanguard Cannon
Progress:  19/18 (1+4+5)

The Vanguard Cannon is now production ready, as soon as Kasgyrite scientists figure out how to actually mount it on something.

Signal Flashers
Progress: 12/10 (3)

At long last, a formal training regiment is implemented and permanent instructors obtained so that communications officers can be produced regularly.

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 dice to spend.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13/y Crystal, 15/65 Banked
17/y Ore, 28/85 banked
19/y Wood, 64/95 banked
10/y Silk, 45/50 banked

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 05, 2017, 12:39:54 pm »

Shame about the order of the die there.

Revision 1: combined assault, AKA blitz tactics
We train our marines in blitz tactics, making use of flanking and all available equipment and manpower to overwhelm static defences from multiple directions at once. This tactic emphasises eliminating heavy enemy positions quickly, so as to spend the least amount of time possible fighting heavy weapons, and hopefully causing a route.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 05, 2017, 12:52:33 pm »

We're already working on that with Vertical Envelopment Helmacon; we can't flank them conventionally since we take too many losses there.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 05, 2017, 02:45:03 pm »

My suggested revisions:

Crossbow Cost Reduction
By using powered lathes and other machinery instead of hand carving the weapons we can reduce wood costs. By cutting out the brass ornamentation where unneeded, and simplifying it where it is required we can reduce ore costs. This should bring the the cost of a crossbow into line with an aether gauntlet or gunpowder rifle.

Many years ago, our engineers made this comment regarding the Vanguard:
Engineers think they might be able to come up with a revision plan to mount it into a specially refitted small mount, but it would fit much more ably onto a new, larger class of mounts.

The Small Vanguard Mount is that revision plan.

Quote from: Revisions
[1] Combined Assault : helmacon
[1] Crossbow Cost Reduction : Kashyyk
[1] Small Vanguard Mount : Kashyyk
[1] Bank a die : helmacon
[] Bank 2 dice :
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:54:53 pm by Kashyyk »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 05, 2017, 03:34:57 pm »

Grenade Clearing
This tactic focuses on the clearing of enemy footholds and strong-points with co-ordinated use of grenades and covering fire. The grenades deal a great deal of damage, sows confusion and forces the enemy from cover. Some of our marines will then assault the enemy position with the remainder providing covering fire/throwing further grenades in order to prevent the enemy from reorganizing and repulsing the assault  This tactic is designed to work well together with flanking tactics

I have a suggestion for when it swings around to production. Do we want to produce some more signal flashers for the skysiffs (that way we can rotate out the Viper from scouting duty) because if we do then we'll have less space to deliver infantry equipment. And I rather think they'll make a move in the sky this turn so may need all the firepower in the sky we can get. But I also don't want to stay stuck in the same stalemate inside the spire.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 05, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »

The problem with using grenades like that is getting close enough to throw them without dying. We go in through their fortifications we're going to lose a lot of men. Why do you thing I was gunning for the Vertical envelopment?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 05, 2017, 04:26:45 pm »

I know, we but we got out voted. Anyway our troops are going to be using grenades soon so I'm worried about them idiot balling when handling small but very dangerous explosive devices. So I was hoping to get some for tactic as insurance against them blowing themselves up with them.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 05, 2017, 04:29:10 pm »

could a single grenade be used to demolish the barricade, then all the other grenades thrown at the people?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 05, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »

Why not design a new ship type to make full use of the medium turrets.

I am thinking some kind of light destroyer, three medium mounts per side, one rear and two in front, one mounted above the other.  The fore ones could double as an even larger spinal mount for a new class of higher powered blasters.  It would be larger with three cores, one dedicated to lift and trim, one to weapon systems and one to shielding.

The small mount is a good idea in the short term, but a dedicated new ship would be better.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 06, 2017, 01:23:36 am »

throwing out a proof of concept flag I made in paint and discussed a bit on the discord. still needs to be properly aligned with the stripes and other stuff. I was going to add a crown too, but I ran out of time and effort.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let me know what you think of the color pattern/ flag pattern.

I was going to use the same lioness that the other flags used, but I couldn't find it. It's 1:30, I'm just throwing ideas out here.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 06, 2017, 07:46:55 am »

Woot more flags means more of a chance to get an awesome one!

That said time for some hopefully constructive criticisms; First paint is garbage, Gimp is much better and free. Gimp has layers which lets you keep different elements separate which is really useful when it comes to editing, moving or removing those elements. Secondly as you know that image of a lioness has a bunch of white pixels in it which make it look pretty bad. It's also off center by a bit, but that shouldn't be hard to fix. Thirdly I do not like that orange, now I'm terrible with colours as I mentioned on discord so apologies if my explanation of why I don't like it is a little off. Purple and blue will usually be pretty soft colours in comparison to orange so in any picture including orange, purple and blue the orange will tend to stand out. By giving the orange the central space of the flag you make it stand out even more and in the language of design convey that it is the most important aspect of the flag. This is exacerbated by the thick black outline around the orange region. The result is that when I look at that flag the first and only thing I think about is orange. It dominates the flag and the attention of anyone who looks at it. This would be good if orange had some deep, important significance to Kasgyr. My suggestion would be that you don't actually need the orange, those shades of purple and blue could look good together. A two colour flag with black divisions could work well. There is no rule stating that there has to be three colours after all. Maybe blue on the outsides and purple in the middle shape?

Edit:You may also want to consider not having an image on it altogether, the shape itself is enough to apply meaning to and may have more impact if unobstructed.

Hope that helps!

Since there is some demand for the images I used here's the base images. Some are watermarked however and like a bloody idiot I didn't save a basic copy after I removed the watermarks  :-[. I might if I have time go back and remove the watermarks again but it can be a bit tedious.
Spoiler: base images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:56:13 am by Jerick »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 178