Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires  (Read 26032 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2017, 04:34:45 pm »

For those not following the discord, Wreth has an average of 3.2619 (in the bottom 10% of possible results) and Kasgyre has 3.7564 (roughly top 10%)

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:50 pm »

Now, I believe this is something that we *might* be able to work together on, to prove that love has no boundaries, and to make assimilation easier once Kasgyre purges that ridiculous bureaucracy.
Little late, but just noticed that.
Kasgyre stole our bureaucracy?
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:27 pm »

Now, I believe this is something that we *might* be able to work together on, to prove that love has no boundaries, and to make assimilation easier once Kasgyre purges that ridiculous bureaucracy.
Little late, but just noticed that.
Kasgyre stole our bureaucracy?

Well, we were planning to purge it. Didn't actually think we'd admit something of our own needed to be removed, right?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »

The way I read that it seemed like he said Kasgyre when he meant Wreth. Nevermind, ignore me.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:06 am »

I meant that Kasgyre would purge Wrethi bureaucracy, but I can see how it could be confused.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »

Spoiler: flag (click to show/hide)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 07, 2017, 05:00:25 pm »

Everything in triplicate, the pen is greater than everything, and finally, a solid motto.

Not bad for someone with absolutly no artistic talent...

Spoiler: Other Versions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:19:51 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2017, 11:03:46 am »

For the event, you may use any visual aids you wish.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2017, 09:56:35 pm »

So, this clarification and revision is focused on shrouds and is actually going to walk back a couple things I've said casually in Discord. Short version of the major change: shrouds no longer exert physical force under any circumstance, and their interactions with one another have been altered to reflect that. So, without further ado, I bring you the

First United Shroud Clarification Update
Open Throttle. Open Shrouds. Open Fire.

What happens when you open a shroud inside a pre-existing shroud?
First, a couple points of clarity. As mentioned in a separate entry, shrouds are centered on the core. A shroud is only counted as opening inside another shroud if the center of the core crystal is within already extant shroud. Also for clarity, we'll refer to the pre-existing shroud as the 'defending' shroud hereafter, and any and all core crystals trying to open shrouds inside of the defender will be 'attacking' shrouds. References to a shroud's strength are in reference to its current condition, not it's theoretical optimum. Thus, damaging a shroud can and will influence the outcomes below.

When the defending shroud is at least as strong or stronger than the attacking core(s), nothing appears to happen. The attacking cores will draw power as though they have open shrouds, but will generate no protective field, nor interfere with the already existing shroud of the defending core. There is a little bit of leeway for the defender in terms of its strength, that is, it's easier to defend than attack. More simply, if the defending shroud is within 20% of the attacker's power, it will still be able to suppress the attack shrouds.

If the attacking shrouds are sufficiently strong, they will destructively destabilize the defending shroud. The defending shroud will buckle and the defending core will overload. The engineers will have seconds to drop shroud and power down the core before it explodes violently. The attacking cores are not unscathed, and their shrouds will be damaged relative to the strength of the defending core when it was overwhelmed. This damage is divided evenly between attacking cores, and will also cause chain overloads if it is sufficient to break the shroud on an attacking crystal. Importantly, the attacking crystals do not immediately raise shrouds. There is a period of time, related to power of the overloaded defending core, that the attacking cores remain unable to generate shroud.

What happens if two shrouds run into each other?
Again, a couple points of clarity. Core strength refers to the strength of the core, and is unchanging, shroud strength as before refers to the strength of the shroud at the current moment of time- and thus can be expected to vary during combat. All shrouds are highly elastic, that is they will attempt to spring back to their original shape whenever possible, but we'll be talking a bit about their resistance to deformation here (how easy it is to alter their shape) and we'll just refer to this property as resistance. This has nothing to do with electric resistance, and is just short for resistance to deformation.

The collision between two shrouds can be visualized as water balloons pressing into one another. The velocity of the cores generating the shroud is an irrelevant property, as the shrouds transmit no physical force. However, the distance between the cores, and thus how 'firmly' the two shrouds are pressed together is the relevant component that determines the power of the interactions between the two shrouds.

First, it's important to note that not all shrouds are equal in terms of their resistance to deformation. In general, as core power increases, so does its shroud's resistance to deformation. Thus, while two skiffs with basic VS cores brought very close will deform their shrouds symmetrically, a skiff with a VS core would hardly dimple the surface of a Terren Nautica dreadnought with a Leviathan core. This is important, since highly deformed shrouds begin to behave very unusually.

When two shrouds press into each other, there is, by necessity, an interface between the two. This interface, depending on how tightly the shrouds are pressed together, generates a considerable amount of light and heat. It's not a steady heat or light, but a stochastic series of chaotic discharges. Even for a VS core, if this interface crosses over the deck it's more than sufficient to ignite wood and scorch flesh. This interface is bad for both shrouds, and deals damage to both relative to how tightly they're being pressed together. This damage is evenly distributed across a shroud. When shroud deformation reaches a certain point, the interface not only damages a shroud, it also causes it to lose it's typical 1-way property, meaning that cannons may impact the inside of a heavily deformed shroud.

If a shroud is ever pressed back onto its own core crystal, the the core will immediately begin to overload, detonating if not correctly disabled in time.

Holes in the shroud, while they fail to stop cannon shots, do not change the way shrouds push against one another.

Short version, shrouds that press up against one another will damage on another. And weaker cores come out very much on the short end of the stick when pressing against stronger cores.

Where is the core in relation to the shroud?
with baseline tech, the core is dead center in the shroud.

What shape control is there over the shroud?
At baseline tech, there is no real control over the shape of a shroud. The shroud takes form of an expanded and smooth version of the core crystal, with its size (currently) dependent on the power of the shroud and the size of the crystal.

How do we shoot through our shrouds?
A healthy shroud is one way, due to some sort of field orientation gibberish. However, there is no IFF to this. It doesn't know the difference between a friendly aether blast and an enemy aether blast, it's solely based on direction. A shroud can lose its directionality of the core becomes cracked, the shroud itself becomes sufficiently deformed, or there is significant high energy interference on the shroud itself (an aetheric surge from the Everstorm could cause this).

What do shrouds do to the air around them?
Not much. They're visible, so they warp light slightly and likely shift its color so that you can see the shroud bubble.

What about running shrouds in series?
While core crystals on the same network don't play well together, one can imagine a system where cores are brought online sequentially as the last core's shroud fails. While there is no significant delay between turning one shroud off and flicking another on, this changes if a shroud is buckled. If a shroud buckles, you can't raise another one in the same area for a certain amount of time, dependent on the strength of the core that just buckled. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2017, 08:55:06 am »

Lightning Round Clarification: What exactly does 'Wood' cover?

'Wood' was potentially going to be named 'Organic' at one point. It covers a lot of stuff; leather, rope, cloth, etc. It's a bit of a misnomer, but it covers many things grown in vats that are definitely not crystals.
---

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:54 am »

At some point all wood becomes ore and all ore becomes crystals.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 09, 2017, 12:56:09 pm »

On that theme, I'm guessing Ore covers anything dug out of the ground and Silk covers anything taken from surface monsters. Is there anything non-obious that Crystal covers?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 09, 2017, 12:57:18 pm »

Any grown inorganic?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 09, 2017, 01:22:59 pm »

Any grown inorganic?
by this reasoning, could you use your Crystal resource to grow more ore?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:20 pm »

So would poison from surface monsters, or exoskeletons, or captured monsters themselves use silk?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24