Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires  (Read 26004 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:07 pm »

I have ideas and plans for this game now, so the teams are even.

Anyone want to try to persuade to a side as we're all even?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:32 pm »

Well, obviously you need to join the side with the cool name, spire Wreck (err, Wreth).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 07:43:17 am »

Kasgyre is a bit more understaffed at the moment, for anyone on the fence.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:39 am »

Kasgyre it is
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:00:42 pm »

I'll take Wreth

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »

I shall join Kasgyre

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 09:20:50 am »

Wreth it is; then.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:50 pm »

I would like to point out the 8 page difference between Wreth and Kasgyre. If you're a prolific poster, Kasgyre probably needs you.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »

SPIRE WRETH- BUREAUCRATIC NIGHTMARE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:24:46 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:32 pm »

To be fair, 50% of that is us arguing about pointless minutia. Like whether to name our proposed XXXX a XXXX or a XXXX. (we settled on XXXX)
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 03:29:26 pm »

If we're not careful, Wreth is going to be the first spire-nation to gain any sort of lore/canon attributes, and it's going to be excessive bureaucracy and argumentative people.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:22 pm »

Are you talking about the argument over what to name the Spire Crusher?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 03:31:29 pm »

SHHHHH
We don't talk about that.

I'm referring to the debate about what military department a "world-eating-serpent-creator falls under".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:09 pm »

Rule Clarifications

Existing Tech Clarifications
1. Giving a transport a VS core or a VS lift would strain it to the utmost, and would be asking for disaster.  Both would be impossible.
2. The Basic Light Aether cannon, when fired 'cold', can fire 1 shot every six seconds for about thirty seconds without melting the barrel. Once the weapon is hot, the fire right drops to twice a minute.

Production Lines
1. If you switch a production line to new production pattern that is the same vessel upgraded equipment, the Spire will still only refit the vessels at the production rate. It will, however, build new vessels before it refits existing ones.

Designs and Revisions
1. You can revise anything you already have, but you can't make changes to an unfinished design until you have a prototype.
2. You can absolutely make design/patterns/tactics based off prototypes. Most, however, will only become viable after prototype completion.
3. Revisions that are (mostly) unambiguously better and costless automatically overwrite the old tech. If a revision changes the tech's functionality or cost, you can manufacture the two independently. 
---> 3.1 Already Deployed ships are exempt from this.  A ship must be brought back to its spire and refit before it 'catches up' to current tech, even if new tech normally overwrites the prior tech. This refit will be at repair costs (50% of original)
4. You can make as many revisions as you have dice for.
5. You can make multiple revisions to the same piece of tech in the same round.

Projects
1. If you overpay dice and resources to progress a project, (i.e you pay the resources to roll two dice for progress, but the first die completes the project) you lose the extra resources spent, but you gain the die back for the revision phase.
2.  If you overpay initial prototype dice (which cannot advance a project further than 50% unless it does so on the first die), you DO lose the extra die spent.

Ship Movement
1. Transports ships end their movement when they deposit troops. A transport cannot move, drop troops, and then complete its move.

Setting Interactions
1. The (current) upper limit of the aerosphere is a bit more than 3 miles, going above that for prolonged periods invites disaster. It's worth noting that's also an altitude at which even experienced marines will develop altitude sickness, which plays into the aether madness strongly.
2. Think of Aether more as a high energy field than a gas, one that interacts with brains when the power gets high enough.
3. The Everstorm and The Calm are both approximately 10 miles in height.
4. Think of Iron Rot like an infection. Once it sets in, it will travel throughout the entire iron structure to a ridiculous degree- including typically stainless alloys. Simply shielding an already rotting section of iron will not stop the rot. It has to be scrubbed completely, then re-sealed.
5. A shroud will stop a lightning strike, though it will be damaged by it. However, it will not stop a solid physical object from conducting energy through the barrier. As an example, a shroud effectively absorbs aetheric energy blasts, but webbing conducts aetheric energy through the shroud.
---> 5.1 Sufficiently small amounts of Aetheric energy, such as ambient energy, can pass through a shroud unhindered.
6. If you don't understand what someone telling you they're detecting onigiri means in context, you haven't read the rules thoroughly enough.

Errata
1. Yes, there is going to be bizarre and invisible text at the bottom of the year begin/last year's combat updates from now on. You probably didn't notice it on the last turn, but please don't quote it directly. It's so when I do a search I can rapidly index the core posts for each thread.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 05:36:14 pm »

6. If you don't understand what someone telling you they're detecting onigiri means in context, you haven't read the rules thoroughly enough.
I... what ?
I just read the rules again because of this, and i have no idea what this means.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24