Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Disasteroid [IC] (Mission 2)  (Read 57775 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Disasteroid [IC] (Mission 2)
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:26:40 am »

DISASTEROID

OOC Thread

"Well then. Welcome to the MMCEC, glad to have you with us, blah blah fucking blah. My name's Captain Dimbik, the overseer of MMCEC division Theta-13. Don't bother introducing yourselves to me, I already know far too much about the lot of you than anyone has any right to."

Captain Dimbik is not an attractive man. His tiny, screwed up eyes are hidden beneath the deep folds of his skin, his jaw juts out at such an angle it appears to be about to break off, he looks as though his nose has been broken several times, and the creases of his brow are so deep that one might suspect they are merely flaps of loose skin. He leans heavily on a steel cane, granting him an unsightly leer and enhancing his already ghoulish pallor. He snorts and glances over at a piece of paper in his free hand.

"Let's see here... right. The lot of you'll be heading for the planet Bawg, in sector Alpha-GR4. Planetary conditions are... roughly earthlike gravity, and a nitrogenous-based atmosphere. That means no taking off your helmets, mmkay? Bawg is tidally locked to its sun, meaning that one half is constantly in the dark, the other half is constantly in the light.

You'll all be heading for a small island on the dark side of Bawg, which the MMCEC is dropping you down on to investigate the appearance of a sudden explosion of life forms on the surface there. The eggheads up in command say that the sensors pick up the whole thing as being one huge organism. Your mission is to head down there, find whatever the hell has made this happen, and rip in out of the ground and bring it back if possible."

Spoiler: Map (Warning: Big) (click to show/hide)

"We're gonna be dropping you off on that yellow bit up off in the northeast corner. Scanning suggests that whatever's causing whatever the hell's going on down there is located where that white bit near the center is.

Oh, and those of you who got alien crap shoved in you? The ship's bioanalyzer'll probably be able to tell you what they do to you when yer in transit. Just because every time someone asks me when they find out what the thing does.

...And that's it. Launch is in 45 minutes. If you have any questions, now would be the time to ask them."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:05:54 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disasteroid [IC] (Mission 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:33:01 am »

"Is it too late to get more equipment?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:39:28 am »

"Explain the map. All the colors - those are terrain, yes? What kind?"
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:42:40 am »

"two things sir. One,can you give us more detail on the terrain map, such as what those colors mean and the bold lines between some of those hexes?
Two, you mentioned an outbreak of life-forms and a giant organism. Am I correct in assuming that we have a strong chance of encountering something that might afflict us with 'the gift'?"
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43:14 am »

"No questions except for the alien stuff jammed inside me, and you've already answered those ones."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:48:23 am »

"Is it too late to get more equipment?"

"So long as you're in the shuttle before launch, it's not too late."

"Explain the map. All the colors - those are terrain, yes? What kind?"
"two things sir. One,can you give us more detail on the terrain map, such as what those colors mean and the bold lines between some of those hexes?
Two, you mentioned an outbreak of life-forms and a giant organism. Am I correct in assuming that we have a strong chance of encountering something that might afflict us with 'the gift'?"

Dimbik looks at his paper.

"Ah, says here that the yellow is rocks, blue is water, brown is dirt, and we haven't a clue what red, purple, or orange are. I can say with some certainty that the blue bold lines in between the hexes are rivers of some sort. The whole island's pretty flat, so I can only assume they correspond to some sort of terrain.

As for The Gift, I suppose it's entirely possible you could run into something that'll give it to ya. Mission notes don't say anything about it though."

"No questions except for the alien stuff jammed inside me, and you've already answered those ones."

"Mmkay"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:50:03 am by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:50:40 am »

"Right. So if this thing happens to be mutagenic, how are we gonna get it out and transport it without getting turned into biological silly putty?"
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:53:20 am »

"You're telling me that the map is essentially useless for us right now."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »

"Where'd you source this map?"
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:29:45 pm »

"Right. So if this thing happens to be mutagenic, how are we gonna get it out and transport it without getting turned into biological silly putty?"

"That sounds like a 'later' problem. Tell you what, supposing you live long enough to make it to the source, I'll get one of the eggheads to help you out with that over the comms. Okay?"

"You're telling me that the map is essentially useless for us right now."

"Smart lad, able to figure all that out on your own. Yes, the map is pretty useless at this point."

"Hell if I know. It's probably from a satellite of some sort."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:33:54 pm »

"Then shouldn't they be able to say something about what's there? Sattelite imagery is pretty accurate, even on small scales."

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 12:49:49 pm »

"Alright. Some armor would be nice, and something that I know will be a weapon. I'll go grab those."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 01:10:40 pm »

"Then shouldn't they be able to say something about what's there? Sattelite imagery is pretty accurate, even on small scales."

"Then maybe it's not from a satellite. Maybe the picture was taken from another source. It's not like I had anything to do with it."

"Alright. Some armor would be nice, and something that I know will be a weapon. I'll go grab those."

"Mmkay"

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 01:15:28 pm »

"It's probably not a picture at all. More like a rendition of some sort of computer scan.

If this is the best you guys can give us, MMCEC has serious tech issues."
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 01:24:47 pm »

-_-
[is displeased]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33