Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Don't Rest Your Head {SG}  (Read 3012 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Rest Your Head {SG}
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 03:17:34 pm »

Can we have a person that looks respectable?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 03:18:40 pm »

Doesn't look like it. Sorrynotsorry.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 03:21:48 pm »

There's only one possible path that a handlebar mustache can ever lead you down.

I would, however, be amenable to somebody aping Billy the Butcher's look and almost managing it: make the hair longer, floppier and unwashed. Always look like you're building up a mild sweat or maybe have a cold coming on.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:47:40 pm by Harry Baldman »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 03:47:50 pm »

I would prefer a horseshoe mustache.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 03:58:16 pm »

But that'd look even more ridiculous.

Which admittedly could also work, like so (minus the sideburns and overalls, replace the latter with a fast food uniform):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: actually, this is even closer, though a bit younger most likely:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:00:08 pm by Harry Baldman »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 04:01:01 pm »

But sheriff mustache!

EDIT: Yes to the second.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 04:16:40 pm »

Oh man, I love everything about this discussion.

He has a nice 'stache. Handlebar.
   Gentlemen, a compromise.
   Introducing: the handlehorse mustache. Featuring the ends of the handlebar and the loop of the horseshoe, this combines the best of both worlds into one glorious whole. Combined with hipster glasses and long greasy biker hair, this will tell any potential mates 'Avoid me at all costs, you do not want to bear my spawn'.

Well, first and foremost, they are perpetually lost. That was always true, mind you, just more so now.
Mostly, they just look like a normal person. They don't tend to put either foot forward, and in fact is more likely to be running away. And yes, of course they're a nerd. But just passively, not actively.
Male. College dropout. Works a 9 to 5 at a fast food place, spends his free time programming games that never take off and doing internet stuff, especially TV Tropes and forum games.
   An aside: I think our prospective protagonist is a hick. Dunno if that's just the mustache and the sweatiness, but it might add a certain contrast to the urban horror. Lemme know what you guys think.

When people see our dude, they'll see someone they can walk over. With his meekness, poverty, and handlehorse mustache, most people will consider themselves above him. Not helping that, especially with the 'perpetually lost' description, people might mistake that for being dim. It could be a boon.

It makes people underestimate you. Speaking of.

What lies beneath?
   This speaks to our character's secrets, the part of themselves that they don't want to show the world if they can help it.
   Think about what's the protagonist's real deal. What would be a surprising twist that plays counterpoint to what's been said about them so far? What secrets would they give their life to protect? How do they see themselves? What lies do they tell themselves?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:19:37 pm by Fniff »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »

A. He's an orphan.
B. This is not the first time he's had a look into sleeplessness, though it is the first time he's gone this far.
C. He doesn't dream when he sleeps. He just thinks, making stories in his mind.
D. He is terrified of death, not because of the "death" part, but because he's worried about the endless oblivion, and the cessation of thought.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:24:24 pm by Glass »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:03 pm »

C. He can be wealthy again. All he has to do is ask his grandmother. But he'll never let that witch have any satisfaction if he can help it.
D. When he was young, his foot was cut off(don't ask), and he wears a highly realistic prosthetic for it. Odds are if it was broken he couldn't replace it. Nobody must know.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:56 pm »

Um, accidental edit-ninja. Sorry.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:28 am »

G. Quite religious, raised Methodist but plagued by doubt, which means isolation from his peers (nobody likes a Jesus freak) as well as from his more traditional family.
H. Has obsessive tendencies which, while relatively mild, still plague him on a daily basis.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:39 am »

A. He's an orphan.
B. This is not the first time he's had a look into sleeplessness, though it is the first time he's gone this far.
C. He doesn't dream when he sleeps. He just thinks, making stories in his mind.
D. He is terrified of death, not because of the "death" part, but because he's worried about the endless oblivion, and the cessation of thought.
E. He can be wealthy again. All he has to do is ask his grandmother. But he'll never let that witch have any satisfaction if he can help it.
F. When he was young, his foot was cut off(don't ask), and he wears a highly realistic prosthetic for it. Odds are if it was broken he couldn't replace it. Nobody must know.
G. Quite religious, raised Methodist but plagued by doubt, which means isolation from his peers (nobody likes a Jesus freak) as well as from his more traditional family.
H. Has obsessive tendencies which, while relatively mild, still plague him on a daily basis.
   Our guy was in an accident when he was younger. Car, I think. He was the sole survivor: his dad, his mom, and his uncle died near-instantly. He was in a coma for six months afterward. That's when he stopped dreaming.

After that, he lived with his grandmother. Then she did something, or he did something, and he had to move out as quickly as possible. He took the first job he saw in a city, then moved there. Problem is, no friends, no relatives, no nothing. His social life withered.

The root of his religious fears comes from the Calvinist idea that there is no free will. Those who are saved always have been saved. Those who are damned can do nothing: God has already decided. The Methodists don't believe in this, not that it stopped our dude from being scared of it.

He's scared he's damned to hell. But he's afraid that it won't be fire and brimstone. That would be a relief, at least some form of him would survive. No, he's scared that hell is the void, the unraveling of your soul. The place where all logic and reason dies, comes undone.

That's why he's never slept well. In a way, sleeping is like the void.

He thinks he suffers from mild OCD, but really it's not that. He finds comfort in a world with rules and boundaries. That's why TV Tropes appeals to him: the chaos of imagination given order and reason.

I don't think he's gonna like the Mad City.

Now, the final question.

What's your path?
   This question addresses our character's goals, and points to how – in a vacuum – a story about them could reach its conclusion.
   Think about where is our character headed? If a story were written about their life, what would its theme be? What are their goals? What do they want or need?

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »

A character like this i think he would have two kind of objectives in mind, one in a more "fantasy" way he would love do a great deed and be loved like a nice knight in a shiny armor, or at least be someone who has a unique story (what will happen, not the way he want), but bleh, who don't want to be the hero people tells history and/or sing about?

But with feet on the ground he has a bunch of desires:
 He is simple,
1. He wants his dammed religious doubt to cease, and get some kind of peace of mind. (Someone told him that if he read more the bible it would cease, but that just make things worse)

2. He want to get some wealth by his own and prove his valor to his grandmother too see that witch sincerely compliment him (won't happen, his birth stole her sweet daughter's company)

3. Some greater objective or a profitable hobby that would make him leave his house happy, (he tried community work, donated to charity and even went to a riot, but he still haven't found himself)

4. A good life, a scheduled perfect week with time to work time to rest and time to spend with a wife and kids, he think that he would certainly treat they better than his grandmother, but goddamn, why flirting is so hard? Certainly it isn't the mustache.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »

He'd love to find a place to exist, and exist comfortably. His work is drudgery and he doesn't have the skills, not really, to perform the feats of genuine creativity and skill that his artistic aspirations (programming, game design) would naturally entail. He exists in a between-state of dissatisfaction, fumbling for purpose, appreciation and certainty from the pit of nonsense that his life was even before supernatural madness came into play.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 07:00:47 pm »

So, we have basically completed character creation. Updates might get slower from here on out, just as a warning. Hopefully should be able to update throughout the week, but don't expect multiple updates in one day like the beginning. Time and dramatic necessity permitting, of course.

Our guy, when he's fantasing, imagines himself as the hero. He sees himself rescuing the princess, slaying the dragon, climbing the tower. Then he'll dismiss it as fantasy and get down to serious planning. He wants a wife, he wants kids, he wants a job designing computer games (okay, maybe just a job), and he wants to have no doubt about his place in the cosmos.
   Then he looks around him and realizes that, despite these being realistic objectives, he's nowhere near any of them.
   In the end, he wants (to quote Clarence Clarity) symmetry, happiness, sanity, and clarity. He wants his life to make sense, he wants his world to make sense, and he wants to look back on his decisions and know he did the right thing.

In summary.
What's been keeping you awake?
   Staying up late surfing internet websites.
What just happened to you?
   A mannequin pickpocketed me.
What's on the surface?
   Nerdy fast-food worker/amateur game designer with a handlehorse mustache.
What lies below?
   Devout but doubtful orphan who hates his grandmother, desires order, and fears death.
What's your path?
   Make sense of my dumb life.

Now, time for housekeeping.
   First we set our dude's Discipline. Discipline is our character's base skill and self-control. A normal human has 1-2. We have 3, since we're an exceptional individual even before we were Awake.
   Next we determine Responses. Responses are how our character responds to moments of extreme stress, when the psychological strain of the situation overwhelms him. We divide three between Flight and Fight. I'm gonna make a judgement call (Feel free to correct me) and say our character has 2 Flight and 1 Fight. While our man is quick to run, if you push the right buttons he'll let loose the frustration and rage he's kept boiling under the skin.

The last thing we're meant to do is determine Talents. We have our Exhaustion Talent, which makes our supernaturally talented at something we can already do. If we use it too much, we fall asleep: this is bad.
   Then we have our Madness Talent, which allows our character to do something he can't normally do – something outside human limits, like reading minds or bending steel with bare fists. If we use it too much, we turn into a Nightmare: this is worse.
   But let's not decide that now. Consider our character. He doesn't know what his Talents are, why should we? Let's wait until we use them. That way, it's a surprise. For now, look at the questions, and ponder what sort of powers you could have based off that.

For now, let's go for the meat of the game.
   Play.

SCENE I

I see our guy walking down a midnight street. It's out in the suburbs: every house is dark. He pauses under a streetlamp, swaying slightly. He's been up for a month, way beyond any precedents. It feels like all the blood is rushing to his head, like it's about to pop open in a geyser of red. He shuts his eyes...
   And that's when he gets knocked on his ass by a stranger. Face down in the pavement, he feels a hand grab something from his breast pocket. When he opens his eyes the hooded mugger is a blur heading down the street. He pushes himself up then pats himself down. Wallet, phone, keys, it's all there.
   Then he realizes he can't recall his own name.
   He opens up his wallet then checks the driver's license. It's blank, like the template for a forger. Our dude drops it and backs away in shock. Then he looks down the street.
   A black mannequin in a monk's cowl leans out from the corner, looking down the street. As soon as our guy spots him he bolts.
   If you want to chase him down, here's how it works.
   We roll dice. By default you roll however many Discipline dice you have, in this case 3. I roll my Pain dice. Every 1, 2, and 3 is a success. Whichever pool of dice has the highest number dominates: this flavors the result. Whoever has the highest amount of successes wins the roll.
   Now, for this, I'll be rolling 4 Pain. Even if you're an exceptional human, you're chasing down a mannequin. You sweat, you tire out: this guy doesn't. 3 dice versus 4: I don't like those odds.
   ... Well, word from the wise. At any time you can add 1 Exhaustion die or up to 6 Madness die to a roll. That Exhaustion will put you head-to-head; the Madness will crush it.
   Up to you, as always. If you do want to bring out the Exhaustion and Madness, let us know what ours happen to be.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:04:08 pm by Fniff »
Pages: 1 [2] 3