Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lookin for a low end graphics card suggestions  (Read 1299 times)

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lookin for a low end graphics card suggestions
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

Which low end graphics cards would the DF community sugest?

My PC is an AMD Athlon 3200 with 2GB ram
with pci-E x16 graphics slot, without 2.0 support
and Acer 20inch LCD.
Also no vista.

Have to buy a new one can't handle the LCD. It's eather generaly too weak or only overheating because of the hardware design of my PC.

I'm looking at the Radeon 2600pro. That good enough, anything else out there I should look at?

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lookin for a low end graphics card suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

Go for 8800GT - cheap yet insane performance for the money that you pay for it.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Yeah if your system won't bottleneck it get the GT. Its in the exact "sweet spot" in terms of price per performance.

If its a bit much you can go for the 9200GT which is a bit cheaper.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:15:00 am »

Everybody agrees that 8800GT is the best bang for the bucks, but I'm not shure I'll ever be able to use that bang. Will see what I get. Thanks for the ansvers anyway.  :)
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Behrooz Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Woo, I play with dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

If you're going to be playing primarily dwarf fortress, an 8800GT on that system is the kind of overkill that makes walruses cry.  DF is almost 100% cpu-limited given *any* decent 3d card, and CPU advances have become both ridiculously cheap and powerful since the core2 architecture came out.  

Your 3200+ has roughly equivalent roughly equivalent processing power to one of the cores of a core2/penryn running at 1.4GHz.  AMD hasn't really been keeping up, but they're still competitive at the lower end, and it's quite possible that you can find an upgrade that will slot directly into your existing mobo *cheap* for a significant performance upgrade, check the compatibility lists for your mobo, then hit newegg.

I love my 8800GTS, but it was for DF that I put half again as much money into a high-end core2 duo and highly overclockable IP35 Pro motherboard.

Core2 @ 3.5GHz makes dwarfs fly.

Behrooz''s Law:<BR>The relevance of ongoing discussion in a bulletin board thread is inversely proportional to both the volume and number of quotations appended therein.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

Well, for a CPU if you are going to overclock then you HAVE to get any of the new dualcore 45nm manufactured chips. Even the E8400 is a true monster when it comes to OC'ing and that CPU is dead cheap as well. Push it to 4ghz and DF will probably be a pretty nice game to run, even on large maps. With a top end cooler you could push it close to 5ghz.