Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working on big medieval mod, but having trouble thinking of something  (Read 540 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, so, the gist of it is I have several human civs made (including some cave-dwelling cult spin-offs of each of them), and the whole thing is roughly 13th Century. Now, where I'm hitting this roadblock is special buildings and reactions for these human civs. Particularly religious buildings and reactions.

For the Rovalians (basically pseudo-Franks/Medieval Feudal Europeans who live in temperate lands) and Kletrians (coastal tropical Byzantines basically), I've got a fully thought-out system already in place. They have altars at which they can pray. Usually, prayer just gives them feelings of optimism and repentance, but there's about a 1-in-90 chance of getting a Granted Prayer, which confers an actual blessing (basically raises all skill rolls for a day) and allows the creation of Holy Water (which has Banishment syndromes that remove all the special tags from undead and demons (particularly the ones that make them immune to pain/fear/nausea/etc.) and cause them severe pain and blisters), and the blessing of weapons (by basically coating them in Holy Water). They also get thatch (basically blocks made of regular grass that they can build with, made at a Thatchery), and I'm thinking of implementing wattle-and-daub, and some sort of Jousting for the Rovalians.

Now, that's all well and good and adds to gameplay. But the problem is the Akhadians (basically pseudo-Arabs). I don't know what sort of religious reactions they should get. The only unique buildings or reactions I have so far for them are a sun-drying workshop and the ability to sun-dry mudbricks there (and some extra Kiln reactions to do things like petrify wood and make charcoal).

I thought about Hammams, but that would be pointless since bathing, soap, and likewise the ability to make bathhouses are all already in the vanilla game. I was thinking about Mosques (or just the individual prayer rugs for them), but what would they do besides give positive feelings? I'm considering giving them Madrasas, but would the Reading skill be useful enough to be worth it (I mean, before I figure out how to add custom books for reactions)?

AFAIK holy water and blessed weapons aren't really things in Islam or Middle-Eastern folklore. Like, usually in Islamic belief blessings and holy protection seem to involve Qur'anic verses or direct (often written) invocations. But invoking blessings via religious verses seems like it would either be hilariously overpowered or require DFHack, and both of those are things I want to avoid (coding scares me).

Honestly I'm almost considering scrapping them and adding pseudo-Persians with fire shrines and a religion based around fire and light, or else possibly Haradrim. But a One Thousand and One Nights-style medieval Arabian civ would be really cool and seems to be something that hasn't been done (AFAIK) in DF.

tl;dr what sort of unique buildings/reactions should I give my (medieval) pseudo-Arab civ?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:21:58 pm by Dunmeris »