Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For all your image hosting needs - Boo Photobucket  (Read 2237 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
For all your image hosting needs - Boo Photobucket
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:07:52 pm »

So apparently photobucket went pay-to-play just recently and it's messing with everyone avatars and posts.

Just a general heads up, I use POSTIMAGE. I have images from them that I posted on the forum in 2012 that still work here on the forums.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: For all your image hosting needs - Boo Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:30:44 am »

That seems handy, good to keep in mind for if when Imgur goes evil.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 03:25:43 am »

Those will be dark days, but I think imgur is kept shuffling along due to reddit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:26:16 am »

Boo Photobucket

Yay imgur (at least my avatar is back up now, not going to bother replacing 10 years of forum post images.)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:01:01 am »

The one thing that has majorly kept me from creating any one of several avatar ideas, for B12F usage, is that there isn't an upload-to-profile version of avatar regferencing, meaning I'd have to rely upon hosting services. (I keep on wondering if DFFD could legitimately do this, given the close connection, but never got around to actually checking. Plus I could imagine overwhelming DFFD for image requests, something a major image-host is at least prepared for and not reliant upon fan goodwill alone.)  Then again, externally hosted images don't tend to need me to optimise the image below a certain size, whilst still trying to be clever in my creation.

Imgur's read-interface tends to try to get me to install the tablet app (annoying, when I,m only an occasional visitor of its direct URLs, and not yet ready to open a write-in account for any reason), luckily, I don't notice any issue when the image is embedded.

My own go-to for image-hosting of my personal creations, such as they are, is still tinypic. Although, the few rare times I've used them over the last year or five, I've noticed CAPTCHAesque hurdles to foil the robot image-flooders that were so awkward that they nearly foiled me (some browsers I use just don't work well with the client-side scripting necessary to serve and answer the usage-puzzles, so depends upon the platform I'm using at the time as to whether it's possible), and sometimes the image uploads but I can't (easily, sometimes at all and I have to repeat!) get the URL necessary for embedding, preBBCoded or otherwise.

Still, interesting to know this info. You might have just prompted me to generate and use a Bay12 avatar, at last. Watch this space!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »

Still using upl.co as my go-to for image-y things. Thing's still just kinda' painless to use, no need for an account (Actually don't know what registering does or involves, heh), if there's expiration dates on anything I haven't noticed. So far as the major hosting sites -- photobucket, imagur, etc. -- they can frankly all go die in a fire. Some of 'em started out alright, but all of them have steadily devolved into UI and usability hell, more than one not just on the upload front.

Meanwhile upl, near as I can recall, has had the same (or near enough) front page and general UI bits since day 1, back in 2010. Consistent, lightweight, little to no bullshit, barely any service hiccups, and so on. Just one of the better image hosting sites, at the absolute least for general use.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 07:58:56 pm »

So far as the major hosting sites -- photobucket, imagur, etc. -- they can frankly all go die in a fire. Some of 'em started out alright, but all of them have steadily devolved into UI and usability hell, more than one not just on the upload front.

Imgur especially, ever since they started catering to the mobile and meme crowd, what with removing the ability to have slideshow albums. Woe be you if you have more than a handful of images. to stick into an album.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:05:09 pm »

I had Fun with that recently, yeah. Photobucket's been worsening a lot over the past year or so, but I put up with it largely due to laziness. Had been using them since 2010. Now actually using imgur with an account so I don't lose track of shit I upload for all eternity, like with a few things posted there in the past. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:34:04 am »

A dubious discovery today.

When attempting to pull my image archive out of photobucket's ravenous ad-spewing maw, I discovered that they have cached the images through an alternative delivery mechanism for previewing the image on their website.  A quick test indicates that it can be used to continue to host the image for (ahem) "third party" hosting purposes.

As a test of this, I have updated the avatar link to point there. Take that Photobucket! I will just keep my images safe until you decide to delete my account, as your "official statement" reads as a giant "fuck you", indicating that you will not see the light. In the meantime, enjoy the parasitic leeching.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 06:04:39 pm »

Eh. I simply moved any important stuff to imgur, and had the account deleted. I'm lazy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 07:44:58 pm »

Boo Photobucket

Yay imgur (at least my avatar is back up now, not going to bother replacing 10 years of forum post images.)

Not gonna hunt down past forum or other images either. Been on there since 2005.

Eh. I simply moved any important stuff to imgur, and had the account deleted. I'm lazy.

I don't have any important stuff that I want to move and I can't hunt down every single time I linked an image elsewhere anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »

There is a little known site specifically for this purpose, as I expect imgur to crack down on it next.

postimages.org

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »

postimage.org is great. I use it for everything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »

That's the one in the OP lol.

They are great.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »

postimage.org is great. I use it for everything.

I checked your avatar link and that, sir, is a bold and devious untruth!
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2